What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will The Ref's Blow South Sydney To A Premiership?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm a bit both ways with this. There's no doubt to me that souths get piggy backed out of trouble more then anyone else. A perfect example was last week against the roosters when down 12-0 and going nowhere. 4th tackle 30m out from their line, Pearce roughs walker up in a tackle, same thing had happened nearly every tackle of the game, walker gets up and throws a hissy fit. Penalty souths. A few tackles later another penalty from a tackle that again looked no different to any other. Souths score on the next set and are back in the game.

Not in any way do I believe their is some 'souths conspiracy.' Do I think that occasionally refs get caught up in the 'romance' of souths doing well, possibly. It does seem that every time a burgess brother drops a ball 9/10 they get a penalty, then on replay about 7/10 they've dropped it cold. This could be because he is a big name player and souths are currently a dominant team. The refs will always go with who is seen as the 'better' team/player in 50/50 calls.

At the start of the year the ruck speed was changed and souths struggled. Wrestling was taken out of the game to an extent and their big forwards couldn't keep up. They got belted by wests and Canberra who finished in the bottom 4.

Then the ruck speed went back to normal. This wasn't to help ouths, it's the same as any other 'crackdown' is policed for 4-6 weeks then forgotten about. Again it suited souths big pack. They have big aggressive forwards who run hard and don't submit in tackles. This means that they need to be held down longer by opposition teams to get an advantage. On The counter souths wrestling means they can hold down teams longer in the ruck. Again this isn't souths fault, the refs allowed the ruck to be slowed down which suits their game.

The last 2 years I truly believe the refs got souths to a much higher position on the ladder then they deserved. This year I do believe they are a genuine premiership team, whether they are getting help from the officials or not.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Pun intended on the title :lol:

Will they? They receive the most penalties in the NRL (By a Mile)... Have a plus 44 penalty count (Best in NRL)...

They?ve lost 4 penalty counts the whole year (Bulldogs have lost 15).

The question has to be asked... Will the Referee's gift this premiership too South Sydney?

View attachment 7359

Cry more bitch.

Anyway... In 2013, the Roosters were the most penalised team in the competition. On Grand Final day, they held up the trophy.

What does this prove? If you are good enough, the penalty count does not matter.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
I'm a bit both ways with this. There's no doubt to me that souths get piggy backed out of trouble more then anyone else. A perfect example was last week against the roosters when down 12-0 and going nowhere. 4th tackle 30m out from their line, Pearce roughs walker up in a tackle, same thing had happened nearly every tackle of the game, walker gets up and throws a hissy fit. Penalty souths. A few tackles later another penalty from a tackle that again looked no different to any other. Souths score on the next set and are back in the game.

Not in any way do I believe their is some 'souths conspiracy.' Do I think that occasionally refs get caught up in the 'romance' of souths doing well, possibly. It does seem that every time a burgess brother drops a ball 9/10 they get a penalty, then on replay about 7/10 they've dropped it cold. This could be because he is a big name player and souths are currently a dominant team. The refs will always go with who is seen as the 'better' team/player in 50/50 calls.

At the start of the year the ruck speed was changed and souths struggled. Wrestling was taken out of the game to an extent and their big forwards couldn't keep up. They got belted by wests and Canberra who finished in the bottom 4.

Then the ruck speed went back to normal. This wasn't to help ouths, it's the same as any other 'crackdown' is policed for 4-6 weeks then forgotten about. Again it suited souths big pack. They have big aggressive forwards who run hard and don't submit in tackles. This means that they need to be held down longer by opposition teams to get an advantage. On The counter souths wrestling means they can hold down teams longer in the ruck. Again this isn't souths fault, the refs allowed the ruck to be slowed down which suits their game.

The last 2 years I truly believe the refs got souths to a much higher position on the ladder then they deserved. This year I do believe they are a genuine premiership team, whether they are getting help from the officials or not.

I totally agree with the part of the refs getting caught up in the 'romance' of it all. A few years ago when Benji Marshall was the most heavily promoted player by the media it seemed he could do no wrong, so many times he would drop the ball or throw a forward pass and it was play on. Now Souths are getting that treatment, 43 years without a premiership Burgees boys the talk of channel 9, surely they shouldn't be struggling in a game, so often when pinned in their own half a soft penalty will come their way. For all the crap that comes out of Ricky Stuarts mouth I agreed with him when he was blowing up about the refs one time saying they are not getting calls simply because they are not meant to be a good team.

That being said Souths capitilise on these 'piggybacks' better than most teams so it does stand out more.

yobbo84

First Grade
Yeah, when the refs are running around at pace, watching players onside, watching the ruck, listening to the video ref in their ear, trying to block out the crowd, communicating with the other ref - they're really just thinking about how "romantic" it would be if Souths won the comp... "quick better give a penalty, that'll do it"!

You guys are too much.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Souths received 199 penalties this year in the regular season. Some 30 more than anyone else. Naturally their fans don't have a problem with this.

It would be interesting to see their reaction if they received 120, some 25 fewer than anyone else like the Roosters.

Call me biased all you want, but I don't understand how one team can receive an extra 80 penalties over the course of a season. 8.3 pg vs 5 pg. Surely the 5 pg Minor Premiers have a dominant forward pack, too.

I would love for someone to provide a reasoned argument as to why Souffs only had to fart to get a penalty this year where as the Roosters had to be attacked by an axe to the head to get one.

I've little doubt that it's preconceived ideas entering a game. The Roosters are the defending Premiers, the evil empire that needs no help. Where as Souths are the battlers, the fairytale story.

TheDalek079

Bench
Souffs are so dumb. There's no advantage in getting lots of piggy back penalties out of their own half. Everybody knows the way to go is to be the most penalised team in the comp like Easts are

Tommy Smith

Referee
Souffs are so dumb. There's no advantage in getting lots of piggy back penalties out of their own half. Everybody knows the way to go is to be the most penalised team in the comp like Easts are
If they were smart they would have lost the penalty count 10-5 last week, not won it 10-5 (as they do every second week and every time against us).

The 6-1 penalty count they received in the 2nd half almost cost them the game! Should have conceded more for sure.

When will these foolish teams catch on?

Galeforce

Bench
Souths should refuse to take some of the penalties.
Especially from teams like
Roosters who love to give penalties on the first tackle to stop momentum.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I've little doubt that it's preconceived ideas entering a game. The Roosters are the defending Premiers, the evil empire that needs no help. Where as Souths are the battlers, the fairytale story.

It's because the refs have a secret conspiracy that's run it's course over the last 7/8 years that the Roosters are evil and they love Souths... :sarcasm:

Rabbits20

Immortal
They certainly do Souths are getting served this gf on a platter

Take a look at Souths and Canterbury's penalty ratios for Shane Hayne and the ultra biased Gerard Sutton

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/misc/Gerard_Sutton.html

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/misc/Shayne_Hayne.html

Hayne has actually helped the Dogs out a lot in the last month. Should have penalised them more. They can only win by the game being very very slow. Otherwise they can't match Souths with a medium paced match. Everyone knows that even Dogs supporters admit this.

You're jealous because the Roosters are out.

Well done on your premiership last year you were the best team!

But you can't admit Souths have played the best footy this year. You seem to be bitter. Enjoy your off season!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths have definitely played better footy this year than the last 2 years. Our outside backs have got great speed and find a way to the try line with skill and strength.

Luke Keary has added a lot too.

Sutton in the back row is very effective.

Rabbits20

Immortal
There will be pressure on the referees to be even with the penalties... The amount of freebies the Rabbitohs get is sickening!!!

The Bulldogs slow the play the ball down to a ridiculous pace. More than any other team in the comp. That's because it suits the way they play.

If the they slow it down even more and put filthy shots on the refs will have to keep penalising the Dogs.

Josh Reynolds trying to milk penalties won't work because the refs know what he tries to do. Just like last week when he held onto the Penrith player and dropped the ball cold on purpose. That was stupid from him and he keeps continually whining to the refs. Starting to get worse than Ennis.