What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

australian petrol prices. we are be scammed hard riped off bigtime

Lambretta

First Grade
massive discounts on barrels of oil now, wonder if its passed onto petrol prices

The price of oil makes up how much of a percentage of a litre of petrol?
25%?? 30%??

Let's say it's 30% and pertrol is $1.50 a litre if petrol is $100 a barrell

If petrol drops by 50%, then 30% of your cost base is going to half
In real terms you would therefore expect petrol prices to drop by 15% overall

$1.50 - 15% = a drop in the price of a litre by about $22.5 cents

If petrol was previously $1.50 a litre it should now be somewhere in the region of $127.50

Now what are petrol prices now?

I think you'll find they've already been passed on

Lambretta

First Grade
Anyone who thinks we're ripped off needs to drive a car in the UK. f**k me the shit is expensive there.

This is why 99% of people with any form of brain power buys a diesel engine car

The UK is somewhere I can see people embracing battery powered cars or diesel hybrids. They start to make economic sense with petrol at about the price per pound as we pay per dollar. In other words it's twice as expensive.

I'm just about to head over there and have hired myself a diesel Honda Civic for my trip. Oh and the hire cost is HALF of what Avis / Hertz quoted me AND that included the excess reduction premium, where the others DIDN'T. I had to pay extra with Avis / Hertz for that. :shock:

The guy at the rental place guaranteed me a diesel and even gave me a choice of whatever car I preferred. Something the chain hire places won't do. I use the same dude every time I go there

The price of oil makes up how much of a percentage of a litre of petrol?
25%?? 30%??

Let's say it's 30% and pertrol is $1.50 a litre if petrol is $100 a barrell

If petrol drops by 50%, then 30% of your cost base is going to half
In real terms you would therefore expect petrol prices to drop by 15% overall

$1.50 - 15% = a drop in the price of a litre by about $22.5 cents

If petrol was previously $1.50 a litre it should now be somewhere in the region of $127.50

Now what are petrol prices now?

I think you'll find they've already been passed on

Bingo, the petrol excise is where the cost lays.

Lambretta

First Grade
Bingo, the petrol excise is where the cost lays.

Petrol excise
Refinery costs
Transportation costs
Cost of petrol stations themselves - site costs - business rates - staff costs
Taxation on company profits

They all add to the cost of a litre of fuel. But no, lets focus on one fraction of the picture and then piss and moan that we're being ripped off.

goodplayer

Juniors
ok , so why are we slaves to oil. petrol ?

where are the electrical cars? that were invented over 40 years ago ?

goodplayer

Juniors
Once upon a time there wasn't a market for oil/petrol. It had to be invested in to grow it.

yes, and who started this rubbish oil petrol scam ?

where humans are slaves to this massive scam

i know who started this oil crave . where trillion dollar companies rule countries and governments

some families spend over $200 per week on petrol.

that's $800 per month, that's a mortgage just there :x

i know who started this oil crave . where trillion dollar companies rule countries and governments

Find me someone who only pays $200 a week for their mortgage and I'll find you a unicorn that pisses rainbows.

Those oil companies weren't trillion dollar companies when they first started out. Like I said, you want to ease our reliance on fossil fuel, lead by example. Seems as though plenty of people out there share your concern based on the following articles.

Looks like Elon Musk & co. seem to think Australia is a viable market: LINK

There looks to be money in the business too, 29% gross profit margin for this year: LINK

There also appears to be many people that have beaten you to the jump to electric, with demand outstripping supply for Tesla: LINK

goodplayer

Juniors
Find me someone who only pays $200 a week for their mortgage and I'll find you a unicorn that pisses rainbows.

Those oil companies weren't trillion dollar companies when they first started out. Like I said, you want to ease our reliance on fossil fuel, lead by example. Seems as though plenty of people out there share your concern based on the following articles.
]

your mind is stuck in sydney or city morgage rates, open your mind please, everyone dont live in the cities ;-)

why are oil companies suppressing other fuel technologies

we had electric cars 40 years ago , where the f**k are they now ? its still all oil and petrol

wake up to whats going on please

the movie doco . who killed the electric car

oil companies bought the electric car companies and crushed it :x

Did you read the links I posted? It's growing and becoming ever popular. If you think it is worth the investment get on it. Be the change, don't just call for it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone who thinks we're ripped off needs to drive a car in the UK. f**k me the shit is expensive there.

yeah i mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Its near on double what we pay.

When I was in England last October, petrol was $1.50 p/L in Aus and it was a pound 50 in the UK.

today in melbourne, the fuel was $1.10 pL for E10

meanwhile in Tumut, near where my old man is currently working, he's paying $1.59 for the same fuel.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

If your mortgage is $800 a month then you don't have any reason to be complaining about petrol prices.

Then again, you're probably living in a car that costs $45k

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
your mind is stuck in sydney or city morgage rates, open your mind please, everyone dont live in the cities ;-)

why are oil companies suppressing other fuel technologies

we had electric cars 40 years ago , where the f**k are they now ? its still all oil and petrol

wake up to whats going on please

the movie doco . who killed the electric car

oil companies bought the electric car companies and crushed it :x

ever heard of Tesla?

seriously dickhead, use google occasionally and save us the majesty of your impotent brain.