What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pride of the League & Arizona

Vic Mackey

Referee
This souths mob are making the dogs team of 2001-2006 look like angels. It took that player group to vandalize their own boards office before anything was done, it seems nothing short of an act of terrorism will stop this lot. The gutless NRL do nothing about it and any other teams fans would be appalled with their players behavior. However this is all in line with the morals of the trailer park scum that is souff Sydney fans.

I find it hilarious that the charges were suddenly 'dropped'

Normally in this case it's because a settlement was reached with the establishment. If only souffs had a high profile millionaire owner that could have made all this go away...

Big Sam

First Grade
I read it on the NRL website and assumed it was their statement, either way I think it's release out of the blue was more an attempt to bury it in news around the spill.

If the club wanted to release it in a time period since late November where it would have gone virtually unnoticed, it could have done so around Christmas/New Year, around Australia Day etc. Hell, they could've waited until we were in the UK so it would've been harder to contact Richo and Madge with the time difference. But they did none of that because the club never had any intention of going public with it.

It was only when current and former News employees got wind of it (somehow) that the probing started.

I think the timing between Kind's dismissal and Frothfield/Massod's sudden exposure of the story is very curious indeed.

alien

Referee
A boozy night out in a northern Arizona bar ended with blood dripping from a bouncer's head while South Sydney captain John Sutton and teammate Luke Burgess, both the worse for wear, sat handcuffed on the side of the road.

Fairfax Media has obtained the police report issued by Flagstaff police which details the behaviour that led to Sutton and Burgess being detained for eight hours and contributed to the former being stood down as captain. Both players were charged with "disorderly conduct, fighting", a misdemeanour offence, while Burgess was also hit with an assault charge. All charges were subsequently dropped. Police also noted the pair had "bloodshot red watery eyes and smelled strongly of intoxicating beverage".

The other man involved in the incident was Patrick Scruggs, a 21-year-old local security guard.

Flagstaff police had responded to reports of a fight in Monsoons Chinese Bistro and Sushi at 12.50am on November 30. The report says trouble arose when an intoxicated Sutton was asked by Scruggs to leave the restaurant, which doubles as a late-night club on weekends.

"[Sutton] was asked to leave the bar," the police statement read. "After being asked to leave, he slammed his fist on the bar and said something to the effect of 'f--- this' and began telling bar staff to come outside with him."

A supplementary police report indicated that Scruggs had been told by his manager that Sutton had spat on the bar counter and staff were "afraid of them causing an altercation".

"The male subject wearing a black shirt [Sutton] then started yelling and 'acting like an asshole'," the police report quoted Scruggs as saying.

It is alleged that while Sutton was yelling, bouncers came inside the establishment and asked him to leave. This is where Burgess became involved.

"Burgess grabbed the victim and threw him to the ground causing his forehead to bleed," the police statement read.

A supplementary document, written by a second police officer, added: "Patrick stated that the other male subject [Burgess], wearing a white shirt then started pushing him and took him to the ground and began fighting.

"Patrick stated that he put his male subject in a 'head lock'. Patrick stated that he was hit during the altercation and had a big bruised cut on his right forehead."

The police detained the two players as soon as they arrived on the scene. Scruggs declined medical attention but stated he wanted to pursue charges.

"Upon arrival I observed a white male wearing a Monsoons t-shirt bleeding from his head and pointing towards to (sic) male subjects standing in the street," the Flagstaff police officer noted. "I exited my patrol vehicle and was immediately told by several people the two males standing in the street had been causing problems inside the bar. Due to the information I had at the time, I detained both males into handcuffs and secured [their hands] behind their back and instructed them to sit on the curb.

"I spoke with John and Luke, both of whom had bloodshot red watery eyes and smelled strongly of intoxicating beverage. Both males were adamant they had done nothing wrong and kept asking why they had been detained.

"It should be noted that John Sutton had no photo identification and stated he is an Australian citizen."

Fairfax Media understands Scruggs quit his job shortly after the incident.

Sutton and Burgess were then driven to the Coconino County Detention Facility, where they had an eight-hour wait before the charges were withdrawn.

Well if that is all true then it's very disappointing and can understand why he isn't captain any more. It's a trip that the club paid for, but it's meant to be for training mostly, but then they throw it all away by getting hammered, which means there was no point of going over there in the first place. It was only 2 of them though, so can't put them all in the same boat.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No I was smashing the morally hypocritical glass house in which you inhabit.

how?

we're discussing evidence of a growing culture of poor behaviour that is occurring under your club's watch..

Not sure how you can relate packer to that? Unless you've confused me for a knights fan?

BranVan3000

Coach
So Sutton yelled at a bar tender? Lurgess went too far clearly but I'm struggling to see what Sutton did besides being a loud mouth drunk

More annoying is the Teelegraph trying once again to make this an agenda against Richo and the NRL administration. Not enough jobs going around for News Ltd mates clearly

RWB

Bench
There's a difference between a cover up and just not telling anyone in the general public that something happened, this wasn't a cover up by Souths & I don't blame Souths for not telling anyone either. Clubs punish players in house all the time without it ever being leaked to the media.

If anyone covered it up it was the NRL. Based on their (The 'integrity' Unit's) precedence set for anti-social behavior in public both players should be missing NRL games. I think it's more than reasonable to assume based on those precedence's that they've opted not to suspend either player because of the fact that the story would be leaked to the media. This shouldn't be surprising anymore though, the 'integrity' unit is purely there for PR reasons, it's become glaringly obvious that we shouldn't expect any sort of consistency, transparency of god forbid some integrity in their decisions.

As for the argument that Souths fans deserved to know, I think as supporters we all accept to some degree that for a football club to be run efficiently and effectively we're all going left in the dark about why certain decisions have been made and that's fine. You'd think that Maguire & Richardson have bought themselves enough trust with the fans through their service to the club that they don't have to release a statement every time they make a hard call within the club. And I'm sure ultimately that's the way the fans would want it to be anyway....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
nothing like a USA mugshot to add to the family album..

smh.com.au has these up this morning:

1423551840041.jpg

1423571451352.jpg

Latest posts