What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pride of the League & Arizona

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So Sutton yelled at a bar tender? Lurgess went too far clearly but I'm struggling to see what Sutton did besides being a loud mouth drunk

More annoying is the Teelegraph trying once again to make this an agenda against Richo and the NRL administration. Not enough jobs going around for News Ltd mates clearly

so spitting is acceptable behaviour?

and FTR, it's not just news ltd going hard at this..... the papers can smell a cover up..

when:

"move along people, there's nothing to see here"

turns into:

"okay, there's a little bit to see, but keep moving, nothing else to see here"

they know there is more to it than what is being said...

Big Sam

First Grade
Fairfax doing so poorly they now have to resort to tattooing their logo on players' heads for marketing.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Fairfax doing so poorly they now have to resort to tattooing their logo on players' heads for marketing.

they learn from the best...

john-sutton-adam-reynolds-south-sydney-rabbitohs.jpg

BranVan3000

Coach
so spitting is acceptable behaviour?

and FTR, it's not just news ltd going hard at this..... the papers can smell a cover up..

when:

"move along people, there's nothing to see here"

turns into:

"okay, there's a little bit to see, but keep moving, nothing else to see here"

they know there is more to it than what is being said...
Spitting is dumb and disrespectful but hardly front page news. Talk about a storm in a teacup

Liddell

Juniors
There's a difference between a cover up and just not telling anyone in the general public that something happened, this wasn't a cover up by Souths & I don't blame Souths for not telling anyone either. Clubs punish players in house all the time without it ever being leaked to the media.

If anyone covered it up it was the NRL. Based on their (The 'integrity' Unit's) precedence set for anti-social behavior in public both players should be missing NRL games. I think it's more than reasonable to assume based on those precedence's that they've opted not to suspend either player because of the fact that the story would be leaked to the media. This shouldn't be surprising anymore though, the 'integrity' unit is purely there for PR reasons, it's become glaringly obvious that we shouldn't expect any sort of consistency, transparency of god forbid some integrity in their decisions.

As for the argument that Souths fans deserved to know, I think as supporters we all accept to some degree that for a football club to be run efficiently and effectively we're all going left in the dark about why certain decisions have been made and that's fine. You'd think that Maguire & Richardson have bought themselves enough trust with the fans through their service to the club that they don't have to release a statement every time they make a hard call within the club. And I'm sure ultimately that's the way the fans would want it to be anyway....

If they can keep it all in house and avoid stuff like this, I'm more than happy not to know. The only issue now is there is a lot of filthy journos pissed off because they've missed their usual tip off whenever something goes down.

I have no doubt if they all heard about it at the time, they wouldn't have been anywhere near this bad.

As for a suspension, you're probably right. But one has had the captaincy taken from him and the other possibly pushed to look at other options.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Selective reading and selective quoting, huh?

hardly.

the crux of your argument, to which i questioned you was this:

I'm struggling to see what Sutton did besides being a loud mouth drunk

not this:

hardly front page news. Talk about a storm in a teacup

we're discussing what he did wrong, not which part of the paper his actions needed to be reported.

if you're happy to concede that his actions were indeed wrong, i'm happy to move onto the next point with you...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I have no doubt if they all heard about it at the time, they wouldn't have been anywhere near this bad.

bingo.

and because there has been something hidden, people will always dig for more...

yobbo84

Coach
I'd say that telling one of the players to leave the club and stripping the other of the captaincy after winning the competition is a fair enough punishment for their idiocy IMO.

In saying that, if everything in the police report was 100% spot on then I severely doubt the charges would've been dropped.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In saying that, if everything in the police report was 100% spot on then I severely doubt the charges would've been dropped.

unless the victim decided not to press charges, for whatever reason, between the incident occurring and release from prison..

ek999

First Grade
I'd say that telling one of the players to leave the club and stripping the other of the captaincy after winning the competition is a fair enough punishment for their idiocy IMO.

I would argue that if the players actions were bad enough for these punishments, the club should disclose what happened.

Covering up players bad behaviour and making up different excuses for the players punishments is not going to do anything to stop these incidents occurring.

betcats

Referee
If this happened in AUS Luke Burgess could well be sitting out a season. He assualted the security guard causing an injury.

The issue is not really what happened, Souths dealt with that in a seemingly appropriate way when you consider the charges were dropped.

The issue is that when questioned why John Sutton was stripped of the captaincy, Souths hierarchy told a falsehood publicly and have now been caught out. Moral of it is, tell the truth first up as when you get caught out telling fibs to the media they will hound you to the grave about it. If you can't because of legal reasons, then say so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Souths have no obligation to tell the media anything. In fact from a employee confidentiality point of view they morally have done the right thing not disclosing and keeping an employer/employee hr issue to themselves. It's funny how we have a different expectation of a company if they are a sports club. Souths met their nrl obligations by informing the integrity unit, they met their own disciplinary needs by punishing the players involved, the media can get fked as far as I'm concerned. I don't want RL airing its dirty washing on the front page of the telegraph.

Latest posts