What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Brutus

Referee
Kent says News will bury RL and their intention is for 1 code in 10 years.

So what sport will Kent be writing about in 10 years?

elbusto

Coach

Comments like that just prove what a pathetic lackey he is. Jesus christ the conflict of interest is getting blatant and it's only 24 hours. Going to enjoy watching these nrl blokes employed by Rupert dig their way out this.

DiegoNT

First Grade

He also said Luke and Tafua would be suspended over their 'shoulder charges'

Merkin had no idea

Canard

Immortal
The NRL should openly encourage people to cancel their Foxtel subscriptions immediately.

It seriously is no skin off our nose, and to show them the value.

This sort of rhetoric can't go unchallenged

insert.pause

First Grade

Then why is he on a show on Foxtel called NRL 360? Why is he writing about rugby league for the telegraph? Kent is a wanker, if he wants to be the poster child for a war with news corp good luck, the game will out live it and he will retreat back into the hole he crawled out of.

Canard

Immortal
The News League journos are like the Republic of Ireland in the 1800s, pushing to abolish themselves.

BODISGOD

Bench
His goal was the absolute destruction of the ARL and total control over rugby league in perpetuity. I'm not saying you think this but really anyone who thinks otherwise is rewriting history and doesn't really understand the man.

He never wanted Super League to be a rival league. He wanted it to be the only league. The failure started when he couldn't stop the ARL from having a competition in 97. Then it became a costly legal battle which led to a messed up joint ownership with the organisation he wished to destroy. Running the new organisation cost more than he ever wished to outlay and eventually resulted in his company's exodus from control of the game and loss of their first and last TV rights.

All I'm saying is -- when people hype Murdoch's abilities they tend to forget this and his other failures overseas. He is after all just a man.

He was locked out of rugby league otherwise.

No doubt he spent more than he would have wanted to (but then again they were underpaying for rights through the 2000s), but Foxtel has been a very profitable venture for News Corp. Foxtel has dominated pay television in Australia. First mover advantage has been huge in satellite television and premium tv the world over, he would have not being able to touch RL until 2000 if they hadn't done something about it. Strategically it was a ballsy and profitable move.

In the long list of Murdoch business moves, it can no where near be described as a failure.

insert.pause

First Grade
Rugby League Ratings ‏@RL_Ratings 3h3 hours ago

#NRL own 49 of Top100 rating sporting events on STV so far this yr, avg 266k. However, 43/49 are MON & SAT 7:30 games

CMwaVRRUcAAEPPR.jpg
CMwaVHIUwAA8iVN.jpg
https://twitter.com/RL_Ratings/status/633910601543081984

Rugby League Ratings ‏@RL_Ratings 3h3 hours ago

The 'undesirable' #NRL timeslots FoxSport MAY receive exclusive under new TV deal avg 180k in 2015, AFL STV avg 179k.

CMwcY2QUcAEW_9G.jpg
https://twitter.com/RL_Ratings/status/633912861991956480

boonboon

Juniors
So $925 million from Free to Air

So even if the rights for NZ, Digital and Foxtel are the same as last time (which they won't be)
thats
NZ- $100m
Telstra- $150m
Fox - $550m

Thats $800 MILLION so $1.725 billion without break a sweat

I would say the Telstra rights would be an extra $100 Mill, NZ- AN extra $50 mill which gets you up to almost $1.9 billion and this assume fox doesen't pay any extra which I think they will.

As part of FOx paying extra I think we will see 2 extra teams and Monday night games will stay. THe NRL said they will go as a threat to Fox to now pay a lot more for them

elbusto

Coach
Just a couple of thoughts. The afl treats this as a fight to the death. that's what comes from being a one nation game. The afl has never had to defend it's own space. Thus it's arrogance and the religious fervour of the nuts that follow it. Our game on the other hand has survived every piece of crap thrown at it. All we need is a deal that puts us in proximity to them and hold our ground and the afl still has a major competitor in its only market. the afl has no capacity to live with other codes as it suffers from deluded sense of importance and relevance. Rupert totally over reacted to the nine deal. The next two years will make us.

Cletus

First Grade
Yep said the same on the front of the west Australian. Ill informed or propaganda? What is news ltds motivation here? Just butt hurt that they weren't included early in nines negotiations or a genuine dislike of nrl and finally taken off the facade of supporting the game?

I really think they genuinely don't like League. It just seems like the culture at all the papers is to run down league at every opportunity, I used to think it was just to sell papers but I think it comes from Rupert down. Let's face it, no-one who actually loved the game could survive at News.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Just watched it, pathetic. Just a news mouthpiece like the rest of them. Tbf to Ikin he looked very uncomfortable with his tirade and refused to agree but obviously couldn't challenge him.

sandshark

Bench
I am not too fussed about the AFL deal. We all know its just a backlash message against Dave Smith/Channel 9 and the AFL will most likely just spend their extra funds on NSW/QLD development which is pretty much going to be a financial waste in the short to long term period.

Dave Smith better grow a pair and play hardball with Foxtel and Telstra. Murdoch declared war against Rugby League. 2 Billion is a dream and that is what I would be pushing for but I think we will get around 1.5 Billion
I just hope that Dave Smith has a good plan seeing as he has potentially screwed the NRL over with backdoor deals.

Looking forward to the Media Stories.. Already some goodens....

Last Week

Bench
So $925 million from Free to Air

So even if the rights for NZ, Digital and Foxtel are the same as last time (which they won't be)
thats
NZ- $100m
Telstra- $150m
Fox - $550m

Thats $800 MILLION so $1.725 billion without break a sweat

I would say the Telstra rights would be an extra $100 Mill, NZ- AN extra $50 mill which gets you up to almost $1.9 billion and this assume fox doesen't pay any extra which I think they will.

Exactly. And that's at a bare minimum. Does anyone seriously think that Fox won't be paying more than what they currently are?

Sure, they've lost Monday night football. But they've gained Sunday night football which will be just as successful, if not more.

Now take into account simulcasting. Every game except State of Origin, the Grand Final and Internationals. It's more content for them. It's not exclusive, but when the AFL first went to simulcasting, the only difference it made was that 7 didn't increase their payments for matches, Fox paid a massive increase. 9 have already paid a massive increase for FTA content.

Compare the similarities in the changes of the previous AFL deal to their current one VS our current TV deal to our 2018 one. Compare the increase in dollar value, compare the simulcasting and the reaction to it by both networks, compare the apparent lack of exclusivity. You'll find that they're similar except that with our deal, 9 are paying a substantial increase as opposed to what 7 did and Fox are actually getting more for their dollar.

We are going to get over $2billion. There is no doubt about it.......Then we introduce a 9th game. Which will be worth something significant.

Last edited:

Latest posts