What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Big Mick

Referee
"Gus of course works for Channel Nine. What else was he going to say."

I genuinely laughed at that.

Pot. Kettle. Black

POPEYE

Coach
You make so many apologies for Murdoch, what's one more

I hate people who make easy money because they can and dismiss good people who can't as much as anyone but other than reacting the way any sensible person knew he would what did Murdoch do wrong . . . remember, I'm a great fan of shit stirring and he's only talking the talk, I'll back you if he walks the walk

bobmar28

Bench
I am not too fussed about the AFL deal. We all know its just a backlash message against Dave Smith/Channel 9 and the AFL will most likely just spend their extra funds on NSW/QLD development which is pretty much going to be a financial waste in the short to long term period.

Dave Smith better grow a pair and play hardball with Foxtel and Telstra. Murdoch declared war against Rugby League. 2 Billion is a dream and that is what I would be pushing for but I think we will get around 1.5 Billion
I just hope that Dave Smith has a good plan seeing as he has potentially screwed the NRL over with backdoor deals.

Looking forward to the Media Stories.. Already some goodens....

NRL is a better product. Why accept 1.5 billion? It has to be 2 billion minimum. Otherwise it looks like Murdock has won.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I hate people who make easy money because they can and dismiss good people who can't as much as anyone but other than reacting the way any sensible person knew he would what did Murdoch do wrong . . . remember, I'm a great fan of shit stirring and he's only talking the talk, I'll back you if he walks the walk

Ah when Pops gets bested in a discussion.

Just trolling lolz

Raiderdave

First Grade
Less games, shorter games, and, arguably, weaker exclusive time slots. Or that is what they would have us believe.

Shorter games ?:sarcasm:
Less games:?

We have shorter games.. &.. less games in this current deal
The AFL deal is worth 1.253 Billion
Ours... 1.230 Billion.
Our trump card is the NRL is the sport that matters in the markets that matter & thats why shorter & potentialy less games are of little consideration just like they are in this current deal.
Time slots are a ratings argument. .. Foxtel is about maintaining subscriptions .. not ratings.
If we offer the 5 exclusive games n all 9 simulcast
We shouldnt accept a penny less then the 266 million pa the AFL will get.

Canard

Immortal
arUK5.png

RoosTah

Juniors
"Gus of course works for Channel Nine. What else was he going to say."

I genuinely laughed at that.

Pot. Kettle. Black

I suppose we shouldn't be too hard on old buzz... he's burned through that many brain cells with that life-time supply of cheap spirits he survives on that he probably doesn't even realise himself that he has an agenda.

Frailty

First Grade
I'd like to see NRL show a bit of future planning in terms of broadcasting. PayTV is a dying medium, and the future lies with streaming services.

Unfortunately, the NRL is pretty bad with digital rights.

chigurh

Telstra denies News Corp reports it is considering exiting NRL sponsorship deal

Aug 24 2015 at 5:05 PM

http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...-exiting-nrl-sponsorship-deal-20150824-gj6hqx

Telstra has denied it is considering ending a 17-season partnership with the National Rugby League as its naming rights sponsor.

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp Australia reported that the telco was on the verge of giving up its naming rights sponsorship, which it has held since 2001, and would seek to stay on only as a minor sponsor.

But Telstra, which jointly owns pay-television operator Foxtel with News Corp, told The Australian Financial Review on Monday that the reports were false and that it was in dialogue with the NRL regarding an extension to its current deal.

"Reports that Telstra is looking to not renew our NRL naming rights are untrue," a Telstra spokesperson said. "We are proud of what we have built with the NRL to date and are in negotiations to continue our partnership beyond 2017. We are unable to comment further as negotiations are ongoing."

An NRL spokesperson welcomed the Telstra statement, saying that while the rugby league governing body would not discuss ongoing sponsorship or broadcast rights negotiations, "Telstra is a long-term and valued partner and we naturally look forward to further discussions with them."

The Financial Review reported last week that Telstra was still interested in negotiating NRL broadcast rights, even after signing a big deal with the AFL earlier in the week.

Telstra group managing director of media and marketing Joe Pollard said the telecommunications giant was still keen on the NRL, which it has digital rights for. "We are still talking to the NRL and are still in negotiations," Ms Pollard said. "We are still interested in a range of sports."

It comes as part of a concerted campaign from the media conglomerate to put pressure on the NRL, following the league's apparent snubbing of News Corp when it negotiated the free-to-air and free streaming broadcast rights with Nine Entertainment Co for $925 million and without Foxtel, which is 50 per cent owned by News Corp.

Previously, the pay-TV, free-to-air and digital rights have been negotiated at the same time. However, it is understood that Nine preferred to come to the table without Foxtel.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...ponsorship-deal-20150824-gj6hqx#ixzz3jiR5Rcoi
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

t-ba

Post Whore
This gets increasingly awesome. I'd take a shitty rights deal from another bidder just for this glory to continue.

Edwahu

Bench
Telstra pretty much needs the NRL if it's serious about Telstra TV and streaming. They could probably piss the foxtel deal off long term if it's a success.

insert.pause

First Grade
With social media it's pretty easy to get a gauge on public perception these days and it's pretty obvious Telstra no longer want News Corp speaking on their behalf.

Who wants to bet The Australian says some bullshit like "despite their public statement yesterday, Telstra remain privately seething over the way Smith treated them"