What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Rugby League endlessly shoot itself in the foot?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Why does Rugbly League endlessly shoot itself in the foot?

The infighting, the short-sightedness, the greed, the back-stabbing, the falls from grace etc. etc.

What is it about the culture, the administrators, the fans and the players that leads to this ever occurring phenomena?

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Tall Poppy Syndrome ol' mate, as Australian as meat pies and beetroot on a burger . . . Hayne knows the antidote

TonyT6

Bench

The infighting, the short-sightedness, the greed, the back-stabbing, the falls from grace etc. etc.

What is it about the culture, the administrators, the fans and the players that leads to this ever occurring phenomena?

You forgot the main ingredient, pissed off media companies and journalists

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do you really think that these issues are exclusive to Rugby League only ?

The humans are in charge.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
You forgot the main ingredient, pissed off media companies and journalists

They are just a parasite that preys on the weak. Don't know if they are more a symptom or a cause - probably both.

I forgot something very important in the OP - the foot shooting is not at all confined to Australia, but is present in every rugby league in the world as far as I can tell.

I agree we seem to have endless drama .
What is the solution .
Be like the AFL with Vlad in charge .
Basically a dictatorship ..he got the game going forward ,
But then there is the seedier side to a dictatorship...dodgy deals ,,cover ups etc .
Too much power & influence can be a bad thing .

I don't know what the solution is .
But I thought we were headed in the right direction with Smith.
Just look at where we were 4-5 yrs ago under Gallop .

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Basically it's love v like.

A hell of a lot of people like RL. Not that many love it

Compare that to say soccer or afl and most of the people that like also love it.

This translates through to all levels. Journos. Sponsors. Club management. Nrl management. Etc

If you love the game you would do anything to protect its image. If you just like it. You will be like meh aka Dave Smith

Gillon mclachan has had a shit start to his ceo run but he wouldnt walk away as it hurt the image of a game him and his family love it

What people can't seem to grasp is that Smith was hired to streamline the business .
Make money .
He did that .
The idiots ranting about bring back the biff The refs the refs. etc should look at Greenberg ..he was hired to look at the football side of things .
That's probably where Smith stuffed up .
He should have hired someone better .

But we are in a far far far better place then we were under Gallop .
I hope they hire someone who has business acumen ..not because they were a player once & apparently know the game .

You are one one bitter man

You think the only difference between Smoth & Gallop is the toplayers earning more .
What f**king planet are you on .

lol .
You've really lost the plot .

& as much as I also dislike consultants ..the simple fact is that is how the Business world works ..

Do want to go back to chook raffles at the pub to raise $$$$ .

You want a debate fine ,
List what was better 5 yrs ago

ceagle

Bench
I'm probably going to get shot down for this, as much as people don't want to admit it, rugby league does have a tendency to draw in the grubbier people in life. I've seen what many players are like away from interacting with fans and it's not pretty.

big hit!

Bench
The NRL are now below soccer in this country with regard to administration. The NSL structure is gone now and the FFA are doing good things.

I'd say it's.............

AFL - evil empire. Manipulative to the max, but the plebs blindly follow their rigged league so their hypnotism techniques work well.
FFA - on the up. They've got the Aussie mentality to administration which is bullshit but It is my summer sport in Oz and I go to every Sydney Sky Blues home match, Newy or Gosford game, and travel to one or two interstate matches. They have me hooked.
ARU - they can't help it if they have a sport which is boring as batshit.
CA - good things with BBL, but being the national sport, everything is scrutinised and they seem to make some crazy decisions.
NRL - seems to be infiltrated with self-interest.
NBL - they're starting all over again.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I'm probably going to get shot down for this, as much as people don't want to admit it, rugby league does have a tendency to draw in the grubbier people in life. I've seen what many players are like away from interacting with fans and it's not pretty.

I'd agree with this, but can it be extended to the administration side of things? Where does the lack of competence come from? Or even just lack of self confidence?

LineBall

Juniors
Lots of melodrama in this thread. Perhaps those getting into a flap about things should wait until we see who the new CEO is and what our final broadcast deal amounts to, before getting all hot and bothered.

Chook

First Grade
Rugby League is only now becoming aware of its value and worth to interested parties after suffering through a 20 year period that would have killed most other codes with media companies tearing at the game for their own self interests.

We’ve only just in our last rights deal gotten those feet off our throats. Dave Smiths tenure tried to re-enforce that position of independence and look at the campaign of shit it created from said interested cess pit of slime.

As fans we need to give the Commission time, and I mean 10-20 years, to get into a position whereby we are truly independent of influences such as we’ve recently seen and Rugby League will be the most watched, the most participated in and the most valued sport in this country.

Chook.

grouch

First Grade

It's the very foundation of the code. What it was built on. The game literally began as a fight, a fracture with the establishment, and all over money. It's in our DNA

Latest posts