What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

drago brelli

Bench
ANTiLAG, I have read your last two posts. I have a question, do you ever read what you have written before you press the submit button? :crazy::crazy:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
If you are going to try the comedy game (as a pro athlete) and your material bombs then why should the audience dig you out of trouble ?

It was just a complete disaster.

As I said its been a pretty big year for elite cricketers (or former elite cricketers) acting like socially awkward weirdos. Maybe as you are also a socially awkward weirdo you just see it as normal ?

Well at over 60% on the poll - that makes a lot of people "socially awkward weirdos". But we'll ignore the tyranny of the majority argument for now.

To be honest, having observed as well as participated in in compliments, jokes, flirting, etc; I think if anyone is socially awkward, it is Mel and her reaction to compliments, and not Chris Gayle. Gayle is gregarious. Uninhibited. A free spirit. Socially awkward and insecure people are made uncomfortable with that.

Why should she dig him out? Because she does not need to turn it into a "thing" or there be a "hole" dug in the first place. Mate, she dug the hole and threw him in and put dirt on him; whether she realised it or not. All he did was pass her the spade as a compliment.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
She didn't handle it poorly, she handled it well by getting the interview back on to the topic it was supposed to be about, cricket.

I didn't find it offensive, but it was definitely cringe worthy. No one wants to see awkward flirting, well received or otherwise.

The carry on that Howard went on with (probably under instruction from channel 10) is what really put the spotlight on this non event and gave the PC crew extra fuel to blow it well and truly out of proportion.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
With this beatup bringing up issues (or misguided accusations)of 'sexism' and 'sexist' behaviour by Gayle and the boys, #smooth, then the counter factual is relevant so as to determine what is objectively acceptable behaviour between the sexes.

a counter is only worth raising as a discussion point if the volume of incidents is at least of a similar number when the roles are reversed.

That is simply not the case here.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well at over 60% on the poll - that makes a lot of people "socially awkward weirdos". But we'll ignore the tyranny of the majority argument for now.

To be honest, having observed as well as participated in in compliments, jokes, flirting, etc; I think if anyone is socially awkward, it is Mel and her reaction to compliments, and not Chris Gayle. Gayle is gregarious. Uninhibited. A free spirit. Socially awkward and insecure people are made uncomfortable with that.

watching a grown man bomb out on TV is awkward as f**k dude. It was like something out of the office. Cringe comedy works by people overstepping what is considered social norms. Just like gayle did.

Stop talking shit.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is it irrelevant? Why is one situation viewed differently to the other because of the gender?
Because the volume of incidents involving female reporters being disrespected by professional male athletes grossly outnumbers the volume when the roles are reversed. It is also an attempt to justify Gayle's actions. Furthermore, I have not said that the treatment was unacceptable for one sex and not the other.

Was it professional? No. Should he have apologised? Yes he did. I just don't think the reaction fits
And that is part of the problem, which won't ever get solved, until that attitude is rectified.

Sure, if the guy is a creep with repeated infringements (worse than this one) then it's a different story.
No.

My comment was based on this incident specifically
Makes no difference, this behaviour should never be tolerated, nor should people be trying to justify it with pathetic arguments such as "I wonder what the reaction would be if the roles were reversed"

I don't know Gayle personally so I don't know if he's a dickhead, I assume you do to make such judgement

His behaviour towards this lady has pretty much confirmed it. And hearing that it's not the first time has done this, further supports my view.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
a counter is only worth raising as a discussion point if the volume of incidents is at least of a similar number when the roles are reversed.

That is simply not the case here.

Bollocks?

Who told you, or where did you read that garbage?

Counter-factuals can occur and are used in hypothetical scenario analysis all the time, regardless of any incident metric. Your laws that govern Anti-Trust and Competition laws are full of counter-factual Economics analysis.

But more importantly, your judgments that determine your human rights as protected by public law are strongly persuaded by counter factuals in determining what rights do exist and to what limit they exist, as against where they are offset by competing rights of the state or other persons.

A counter factual tool is an incredibly important in determining an objectively reasoned standard to address tensions between two "competing" parties, such as a battle of the sexes in determining equality of not only their rights but even their evaluating socially acceptable standards of behaviour.

Counter factuals can be used by Employment court judges to determine whether marginal behaviour at the edges warrants to satisfy a claim for sexual harrassment for instance.

undertaker

Coach
One thing is for sure: Athletes won't be hitting onto Mel in 10 or so years time when her skin becomes saggy, she has developed Rebecca Wilson-type wrinkles, and the tv networks replace her with a 20 to 30-something year old female

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
bullshit

it's the identical situation reversed

No, It is not identical. In fact, part of your article only goes to further enhance my stance.

Your example was about a female weather presenter being forced by her co-hosts (one of whom was male) to chat up a man.

Gayle was not forced to chat up Mel.

I'm not saying that there haven't being examples of the opposite happening in the world of sport. I'm saying this behaviour by professional male athletes towards female reporters doing their jobs are more numerous in instances than when the roles are reversed, and that this attitude needs to stop and should be punished heavily.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
watching a grown man bomb out on TV is awkward as f**k dude. It was like something out of the office. Cringe comedy works by people overstepping what is considered social norms. Just like gayle did.

Stop talking shit.

I'm highly entertained by awkward as fu*k situations in real life and or on tv. A lot of people are. Soap operas, not my thing, are full of them. People caught cheating etc.

Awkward bombs are entertaining.

But that is not the point. Worst case scenario its awkward - which is etnertaining - given us all something to talk about today.

Best case scenario - it goes smoothly, whether he gets his date or not, less awkward, no headlines, but funny for those watching at the time.

As for your "stop talking shit" - is there any need right now to be feral?

Ibleedblue

Juniors
12508794_532371956934104_3567035167963627111_n.jpg

Pete Cash

Post Whore
One thing is for sure: Athletes won't be hitting onto Mel in 10 or so years time when her skin becomes saggy, she has developed Rebecca Wilson-type wrinkles, and the tv networks replace her with a 20 to 30-something year old female

lmao did the mean lady knock you back too

EDIT

Mel Mclaughlin is closer to 40 than she is to 30 right now. People age well these days. I am sure she will be ok mate.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No, It is not identical. In fact, part of your article only goes to further enhance my stance.

Your example was about a female weather presenter being forced by her co-hosts (one of whom was male) to chat up a man.

I'm not saying that there haven't being examples of the opposite happening in the world of sport. I'm saying this behaviour by professional male athletes towards female reporters doing their jobs are more numerous in instances than when the roles are reversed, and that this attitude needs to stop and should be punished heavily.

Strange clause for an employment contract.

Peer pressure? How do you know DJ Bravo or a team mate did not put Gayle upto it as a bet?

Maria Sharapova is a better example of being a mirror situation as the man on the beach is a "random" actor, where Sharopova hits on the Tennis reporter after her lost match, where Gayle has just lost his wicket.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/a/20904289/maria-sharapova-flirts-with-journalist-australian-open/

I like the reporter complimenting the Sunrise host. She accepts the compliment then later makes fun of the fact that Maria Sharapove is taller than him. Ha. Beautfiul women so often get antsy when men discuss how beautiful other beautiful women are.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sharapova did the same thing to an Aussie journalist, but thats OK.

No. It's not okay. No one is arguing that. The simple minded fools trying to justify Gayle are trying to use that as some sort of counter argument.

Sexism is not okay. It doesn't matter who the victim is.

No one is saying it doesn't happen in reverse, but the volume of times where a male professional athlete treats a female reporter with disrespect, or in a sexist manner, is more frequent than in reverse.

Either way, it needs to stop. It should not be tolerated and people should be trying to justify such behaviour by using such pathetic arguments as "If the roles were reversed"

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'm highly entertained by awkward as fu*k situations in real life and or on tv. A lot of people are. Soap operas, not my thing, are full of them. People caught cheating etc.

Awkward bombs are entertaining.

But that is not the point. Worst case scenario its awkward - which is etnertaining - given us all something to talk about today.

Best case scenario - it goes smoothly, whether he gets his date or not, less awkward, no headlines, but funny for those watching at the time.

As for your "stop talking shit" - is there any need right now to be feral?

Well, I don't believe he was trying to get a date. I think he was trying to be funny and live up to the character that is being pushed. If he was trying to get a date then he would have asked her off air because it was vastly more likely to get a positive result.

I like cringe comedy. One of my favourite shows is peep show and Gayle's antics could have been straight from that. It doesn't belong on a light hearted family friendly TV show though.

What part of this are you guys struggling with.

El Diablo

Post Whore

she was not forced you twit

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No. It's not okay. No one is arguing that. The simple minded fools trying to justify Gayle are trying to use that as some sort of counter argument.

Sexism is not okay. It doesn't matter who the victim is.

No one is saying it doesn't happen in reverse, but the volume of times where a male professional athlete treats a female reporter with disrespect, or in a sexist manner, is more frequent than in reverse.

Either way, it needs to stop. It should not be tolerated and people should be trying to justify such behaviour by using such pathetic arguments as "If the roles were reversed"

Since when is it sexism to tell someone, anyone at all, that you think they're attractive? To compliment people? To ask them on dates?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well, I don't believe he was trying to get a date. I think he was trying to be funny and live up to the character that is being pushed. If he was trying to get a date then he would have asked her off air because it was vastly more likely to get a positive result.

I like cringe comedy. One of my favourite shows is peep show and Gayle's antics could have been straight from that. It doesn't belong on a light hearted family friendly TV show though.

What part of this are you guys struggling with.

If compliments and requests for dates are sexist, forget about making future families. Its not like he tried to f*ck her on air.

Barabra Walters called Brad Cooper "screwable" in an interview. That was deemed okay.

Last edited:

Latest posts