What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Broncos

betcats

Referee
Plus one. If ball playing was easy to come by, Thurston and Cronk wouldn't get the big bucks. Speedsters like Jennings would be taught how to do it and with their natural speed and evasiveness would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Last night, the Cowboys showed us what ball playing is about. They just put the ball through lots of sets of hands but it was the ball players, Thurston, Morgan and Coote who drew their players and put men into space to create tries.

Peached's first instinct is to run and beat his man. Nothing wrong with that, he is good at it, but he is not a ball player.

Yeah if we had a dominant half and a good hooker and Moylan fit at FB then Peachey could be effective at 5/8 with his running game but imo we need another ball player there at the moment and Peach aint that.

betcats

Referee
I don't see the point in team lists - They never stick so why even do it?

They have there place but they are certainly not set in stone. I just think from my observations of most teams coaches will try and hide changes(debuts especially) for as along as posible. Now if we are talking about a prop or back rower its not that big a deal but changes in the halves or spine I find the coaches try to be sneaky.

Yyou could be(and are probably) right and they are simply not going to play him but like I said I would not expect the coach to confirm if we are going to debut a new young half until the last minute. It does not gain an advantage hiding it but it might stop the broncos gaining one. Basically if we are playing TMM there is no point confirming it to Bennett so he has all week to plan around attacking a young half. He might still be planning for it now despite the clubs denials but not as much as if TMM had been named imo.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
The other point about not naming TMM is to keep the spotlight off him. The last thing the coach wants is every media outlet wanting to interview him and a whole bunch of hype created.

mxlegend99

Referee
I disagree tbh. Id rather Soward and Wallace.

Have you ever seen peachey go to the line and draw defenders and then pass outside him? Its not part of his game, it sounds simple but the reality is there are not many players who are good at that. If we had two halves that could go to the line and draw defenders in and then get the ball out wide we would be laughing. Peachey is a ball runner, he has some skills but that doesn't make him a ball player. I am a big fan of Peachey but he should not be playing in the halves.

As you have touched on the thing that makes Moylan so dangerous is his ability to go to the line and hold the ball up and freeze or draw defenders in and then make the right pass, it is a rare skill and I doubt peachey is going to just pick it up.
Soward is so much better when Wallace isn't in the halves with him though. Look at Round 1 compared to Round 2.

Peachey is about as effective as Wallace in the halves. Not much between them. Although Peachey with experience could improve. Wallace has played his best footy already. Soward is more effective with Peachey or any other guy at 5/8th really then he is when he plays outside of Wallace. In 2014 he had Will Smith doing pretty much nothing and it was close to career best form for him. But when he was with Wallaceearlier that year in a stronger side he was less effective

betcats

Referee
Soward is so much better when Wallace isn't in the halves with him though. Look at Round 1 compared to Round 2.

Peachey is about as effective as Wallace in the halves. Not much between them. Although Peachey with experience could improve. Wallace has played his best footy already. Soward is more effective with Peachey or any other guy at 5/8th really then he is when he plays outside of Wallace. In 2014 he had Will Smith doing pretty much nothing and it was close to career best form for him. But when he was with Wallaceearlier that year in a stronger side he was less effective

I agree with a lot of what you are saying re Sowie and Wallace but I just think we need another guy who can pass and kick right now rather then a runner.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't know why we don't put Peachey at centre rather then Yeo given his speed etc. Still it's just for a week so no big deal.

Kilkenny

Coach
The plot thickens. Isn't it just dandy to have so many injuries as it creates opportunities for others.

Not a fan of selecting Yeo in the centres but if all these rumours are to be true then I guess he is the one to replace Blake? Even going back to the Matt Elliot era when Gavin Cooper was often selected in the centres nothing seems to have changed? Lewis Brown almost played as much centre as he did second row during the Cleary era. Now here we are, a new coach and what do we have Yeo is the new stop gap centre. (I know he also filled in on numerous occasions under Cleary)

I cannot think of any of the other 15 NRL sides who have been 'forced' into selecting back rowers to play centre due to injury issues on such a regular basis.

Anyway where there is smoke there is generally fire so it appears our outside backs will be Smith, Mansour, Yeo, Hiku, DWZ. TMM & Soward in the halves. Latu or JFH to come into the side as Peachy will most probably start in the back row?

mxlegend99

Referee
Imagine our injured backline with DWZ or mansour to finish it off...

1. Moylan
2. Gennings
3. Blake
4. Whare

Looks better than what's available IMO.

betcats

Referee
Him saying it decreases the chances.

:lol: He is a stooge.

I don't know why we don't put Peachey at centre rather then Yeo given his speed etc. Still it's just for a week so no big deal.

Defense id say. Peachey is a good defender considering his size but defending the centres is more about experience Yeo has him there. Peachey could certainly make a better centre if they worked at it imo.

GongPanther

Referee
Where is this TMM info coming from?

Easy,Panthers train outside behind the main stand at Penrith Park.Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there would be some arse kissing spy in the Penrith neighborhood just itching to play ASIO for the afternoon by seeing that TMM would be training with the 1st grade in a more important role,and text that info in to some website.

In fact,it's so open out there that every man and his dog could go and watch the Panthers train.

Would'nt surprise me of someone stuck a few keyhole cameras in the trees.:lol: