What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 5 v manly

alien

Referee
Cook had a good 20 odd minutes to show us what his got, he didn't show much. Heay have to miss a game as this is his 2nd concussion in 3 games. If Carter could work of the bench as a hooker/utility then cook may find it hard to get back in the side.

there is another option. maybe cook should start at halfback whilst reyno is out, and cody or keary to nsw cup..

only if cook is ok to play of course..

doyen

Bench
souths forwards who made 100 metres:

sam burgess: 80 mins, 13 hit ups, 119 metres
grevs: 80 mins, 12 hits ups, 110 metres
nathan brown: 52 mins, 13 hit ups, 107 metres

I like Brown--he has the ability to develop into a top player.

I'd keep him at lock too.

Sam was more controlled in his approach tonight at prop--I like that.

GI---the way he cleaned up in defence on that last play says it all--the bloke's brilliant!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
there is another option. maybe cook should start at halfback whilst reyno is out, and cody or keary to nsw cup..

only if cook is ok to play of course..

Na. I don't think Madge will do that.

When Reyno is back I'd drop Keary.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I like Brown--he the ability to develop into a top player.

I'd keep him at lock too.

Sam was more controlled in his approach tonight at prop--I like that.

GI---the way he cleaned up in defence on that last play says it all--the bloke's brilliant!!

I like Brown too. He is playing very well. I'd keep him at lock. He offloads and can ball play too.

Yes re Sam we just need his presence on the field. Prop is less helter skelter than the roaming roll.

GI did all the little things really really well.

Rsag85

Bench
Yeah well I think Madge thinks we have to start strong.

If we have duds on at the beginning then bring on the strong ones the game would already be over.

We must keep starting our best and play the duds on the bench until Sutto and Musgrove are back.

I think Grevs is better off on the bench

souths_pride

Juniors
What a great game of rugby league. I thought the performance from the lads was one of true grit and determination. People are going to say that we were lucky but I don't buy that for one minute; you make your own luck. I thought the way we defended our goal line and scrambled out wide was admirable! I really like the centre pairing of Auva and Hunt - both of them are brilliant defensively. I'd consider keeping them there and moving Goodwin onto the wing. What also helped our defence was the fact that we were reasonably well disciplined and kept the penalty count in single figures along with our high completion rate; it makes things so much easier when you can hang onto the football.

Many of you will be scratching your heads wondering how we could go from dominating the game so comprehensively to clinging on for dear life. My view is that this way a game where Adam Reynold's kicking game was sorely missed, not just in attack but as a way of releasing pressure and winning territory. Keary's kicking is somewhat effective inside the oppositions 10m line but when it comes to kicking out of his own half and what I call 'tactical kicks' he is all at sea and puts the ball straight down the fullback's throat. To be fair, neither Keary nor Cody Walker excel at kicking; they are in the team for their ability to take the ball to the line. In saying that, I also think we let Manly back into the game through poor marker defence and being slow off our line at times. However, we must also give credit to both Koroisau and Dylan Walker - they were brilliant in running the footy, sliding through our line and winning drop outs. I actually think they look better with Koroisau at half and with Cherry-Evans out of the team.

Now onto the forwards. I think we got our selections right up front, although I would have included Paul Carter. I take my hat off to Cameron McInnes, I thought he had an excellent first half but faded a little in the second. What I would like to see him do is build upon this performance and continue to control the game when we have the footy. What a difference, Chris Grevsmuhl makes to the team when he starts! I really like his powerful running game and Nathan Brown has something about him that reminds me a bit of Bradley Clyde - the way he never stops working! Jason Clark also had a big game in defence, as did Tyrell and Kyle Turner. One area that still remains a bit of a concern for me is our go forward; we don't seem to nearly make enough metres through our forwards, especially when the likes of Clark and Tyrell are on the field; we can't rely on Sam all the time. This puts enormous pressure on the likes of Keary and Walker to come up with a big kick coming out of our own half - something which they are not good at. In saying that, this wasn't a game where we can be too critical of Souths in attack because we were forced to defend for so long.

souths_pride

Juniors
yeah i don't see keary or cody walker as dominate kickers like reyno. keary and cody are good running halves. they are both good five eighths but need a dominate kicker at halfback. they compliment reyno well. i'm not sure which one madge will go with when reyno comes back. keary and cody are about as good as each other
Kicking is not what Cody Walker and Luke Keary excel at. They are players who like to take the ball to the line and ask questions of opposition defences. I've been really impressed with Cody Walker this season so far; he was arguably our best player last week and I thought he was excellent again in the first half again here tonight. I wouldn't be too critical of his second half performance because we didn't see much of the footy due to a couple of outstanding performances by Manly's halves. One area where he really shines is defence - an area of his game which goes largely unnoticed; I lost count of the amount of good reads he made. Many will point to the fact that he missed a few tackles but I am more concerned about him reading the game well and him getting in the right position and he seems to have that part of the game down pact. On our left hand side he gives absolutely nothing away and really seems to work well with Hunt and that was clearly evident tonight!

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
Good win tonight but there is still some big question marks on the side.

Our bench no real impact coming off the bench compared to Manly's bench which i think change the game for them. we where always on the back foot with Clark, Tyrell and Cook (who played limited time due to injury) I think we need to have a 80min hooker in the side.

Our halves and there kicking game is still terrible, the short kicking game most didn't find space or kept on hitting the sea eagles players feet.

souths_pride

Juniors
Good win tonight but there is still some big question marks on the side.

Our bench no real impact coming off the bench compared to Manly's bench which i think change the game for them. we where always on the back foot with Clark, Tyrell and Cook (who played limited time due to injury) I think we need to have a 80min hooker in the side.

Our halves and there kicking game is still terrible, the short kicking game most didn't find space or kept on hitting the sea eagles players feet.
I agree with your point on the bench. The problem is that Clark and Tyrell offer us no real go-forward. In saying that, we are probably a front rower short and Zane Musgrove is out injured. However, I'd like to see Jack Gosiewski given a chance over Jason Clark!

Rsag85

Bench
I agree with your point on the bench. The problem is that Clark and Tyrell offer us no real go-forward. In saying that, we are probably a front rower short and Zane Musgrove is out injured. However, I'd like to see Jack Gosiewski given a chance over Jason Clark!

Yea I like the look of Jack in the CS, he is a big kid and works hard. Something Madge really likes. Hopefully he gets a run soon.

If you think about it we didn't really replace Grant when he left.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think Grevs is better off on the bench

Well then you'd have to start Carter in the back row.

Madge won't be doing that.

Grevs will be starting again next week.

In the press conference Madge praised Sam, Grevs, Brown and Turner. Rightly so too.

Madge also wasn't happy with some of the refereeing. He said with all the technology in place word should get to the on field refs so those bad calls we saw get corrected. He said it needs to be fixed.

Thank goodness Madge finally said something about the refs. He was respectful to in saying what he did.

More guys on here need to fire up.

Also the ref obstructed GI's view on tackling Koroisau.

Madge said there was a few weird offside penalties against us too.

I will tell you all why it's weird, it's as Manly were offside too.

We are getting duddded by the refs so far this season. I'm disgusted guys.

Diego, before you have a go at me its unlike Madge to speak up. Well good on him as he's sick of us getting refereed differently. It's just not right. Behind closed doors I hope he speaks up.

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
Well then you'd have to start Carter in the back row.

Madge won't be doing that.

Grevs will be starting again next week.

In the press conference Madge praised Sam, Grevs, Brown and Turner. Rightly so too.

Madge also wasn't happy with some of the refereeing. He said with all the technology in place word should get to the on field refs so those bad calls we saw get corrected. He said it needs to be fixed.

Thank goodness Madge finally said something about the refs. He was respectful to in saying what he did.

More guys on here need to fire up.

Also the ref obstructed GI's view on tackling Koroisau.

Madge said there was a few weird offside penalties against us too.

I will tell you all why it's weird, it's as Manly were offside too.

We are getting duddded by the refs so far this season. I'm disgusted guys.

Diego, before you have a go at me its unlike Madge to speak up. Well good on him as he's sick of us getting refereed differently. It's just not right. Behind closed doors I hope he speaks up.

We need something from the bench. Its going to take Tom a few weeks to be 100%

Rabbits20

Immortal
We need something from the bench. Its going to take Tom a few weeks to be 100%

Well maybe we play Carter off the bench then.

Rsag we also need some calls from the refs. We aren't getting anything from them.

Madge isn't happy with the refing either.

YNWA Tigers

Juniors
From a neutral perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and glad souths won (i tipped them to win :p).

Tyrell - i have no idea how that guy is still included in the first grade team.
Clark - did ok but he should really be used as less as possible and only to give others a break when needed
Keary - did ok i thought, but too many bad kicks and dropping him for Walker when Reynolds gets back is a no brainer IMO
G. Burgess - thought he was a bit of a liability for you guys by giving away a few penalties.
S. Burgess - quite impressive i thought
Grevsmuhl - made some great runs and overall did well, but does silly things at times
Brown - one of the best IMO and has been so far this season. Just about identical stats as S. Burgess and Grevsmuhl last
night and played 28 minutes less than those 2 mentioned.
Hunt - One of the best centers in the league at the moment IMO.
Inglis - did well, but really should be doing much better overall.
Auv'a - did ok, just ok IMO.
McIness - 2 tries and a try assist and played very well overall IMO. Perhaps should play the full 80 minutes from now on?

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
From a neutral perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and glad souths won (i tipped them to win :p).

Tyrell - i have no idea how that guy is still included in the first grade team.
Clark - did ok but he should really be used as less as possible and only to give others a break when needed
Keary - did ok i thought, but too many bad kicks and dropping him for Walker when Reynolds gets back is a no brainer IMO
G. Burgess - thought he was a bit of a liability for you guys by giving away a few penalties.
S. Burgess - quite impressive i thought
Grevsmuhl - made some great runs and overall did well, but does silly things at times
Brown - one of the best IMO and has been so far this season. Just about identical stats as S. Burgess and Grevsmuhl last
night and played 28 minutes less than those 2 mentioned.
Hunt - One of the best centers in the league at the moment IMO.
Inglis - did well, but really should be doing much better overall.
Auv'a - did ok, just ok IMO.
McIness - 2 tries and a try assist and played very well overall IMO. Perhaps should play the full 80 minutes from now on?

WOW! Massive call right there..... Really? Are you just being a bit bias

Latest posts