What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra wants to play for Australia

roughyedspud

Coach
Why is no on blowing up about italian international james tredesco possibly getting picked for the roos v nz..??

Where was all the outrage when the nswrl & arl blatantly broke RLIF laws to snatch uate from fiji..

RedVee

First Grade
It should be 5 years instead of 3.

But with the current rules in place we'll still see players like Radradra swapping until the RLIF steps in and makes sure its harder for players to swap at the drop of a hat

Should there be a stand down period as well?

Honestly there just needs to be an 'Big 3 Clause' that prevents Australia, New Zealand and England picking players based upon residency if they move to one of those countries after the age of 13.

The only exception is if the player comes from a country that does not have a domestic Rugby League competition or national team.

The residency rule is designed to help weaker nations get stronger, not help the strong get even stronger.

Restraint of trade suit perhaps come if that happens.

Maybe the rule should be you can swap under the current conditions but only from big 3 down to others ?

What is said by the Fijian RL doesn't necessarily get reported in Australian newspapers:

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=348004

Jealousy from other players if Semi get $20k per game and they get the current small amount ?

roughyedspud

Coach
Apparently hes on around $250,000 god knows how he manages the poor sod......and still has a couple of years left on that contract...so we might have to have a whip round for him cos hes obviously doing it tough..

You have to imagine he should be on $750,000+ if his agent did his job properly

DiegoNT

First Grade
Apparently hes on around $250,000 god knows how he manages the poor sod......and still has a couple of years left on that contract...so we might have to have a whip round for him cos hes obviously doing it tough..

You have to imagine he should be on $750,000+ if his agent did his job properly

If my team brought a guy who can only play wing (despite him being easily the best winger at the moment) for $750,000 I'd be spewing.

Scubby

Juniors
Darren Lockyer is another one who says Semi should not be allowed to play for Australia.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d38dc847393f08aeca417fea5#load-story-comments

I think the RLIF need to grow some balls and say, look you played for Fiji after the 2013 RLWC, you can switch your allegiance but only after the next cycle (i.e. after the 2017 World Cup). That would give Semi some thinking time and he would not be lost to Fiji over the next two years.

He will never be allowed to play Origin. If Fiji could come up with some sponsorship for him then he may think differently over time. Also, maybe get a new manager

deluded pom?

Coach
Darren Lockyer is another one who says Semi should not be allowed to play for Australia.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d38dc847393f08aeca417fea5#load-story-comments

I think the RLIF need to grow some balls and say, look you played for Fiji after the 2013 RLWC, you can switch your allegiance but only after the next cycle (i.e. after the 2017 World Cup). That would give Semi some thinking time and he would not be lost to Fiji over the next two years.

He will never be allowed to play Origin. If Fiji could come up with some sponsorship for him then he may think differently over time. Also, maybe get a new manager

All I got there Scubby was a Courier Mail subscription application.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
He played for Fiji after the 2013 WC, which means he is in the current cycle and should not be allowed change per the RLIF rules. Of course everyone knows that if the NRL and Australia really want it to happen, it is a fair chance they will find "a reason" to make it happen.
There are two BIG ISSUES, with the current International Player Rules that need to be addressed:
(i) Players changing nations, or choosing nations based on heritage, mostly in sight of money. It is hard to come down on players who are making their living for doing that. BUT they should not be allowed change inside a WC cycle. And NO PLAYER should ever be allowed play for more than 2 nations. (ii) The number of domestic players selected in National teams needs to be mandated. For the game to grow outside current nations, there must be domestic competitions. The only way this happens if if there is some kind of protection for the domestic players when it comes to international games. Personally I would like to see 51% of all SQUADS made up of domestic players. This would mean all national teams are "a majority" of domestic players. And in the WC where SQUADS are 24 players, this means 13 must be domestic and 11 can be heritage players.
It is fair to say that the 11 heritage players would be named in the 17 name team for games. If a national needs more than 11 players in a team who are heritage players, then they need to do more work on the domestic front.
And for clarity, I consider a DOMESTIC PLAYER, any player who is eligible as a Citizen or Resident based on current RLIF rules, who has registered and played a minimum of one season in his selected country.
This means players from a country who have played one or more seasons in their homeland, but now playing overseas to gain experience, etc. count as domestic. International players who qualify thru "Heritage Citizenship" who have committed to at least a season in their selected country (thus helping grow the domestic game) would be domestic players. Yet those heritage players who have reside outside of their selected country, and thus not directly contributed to the domestic growth of the game, would be one of the "49" percent heritage players.
They rules must protect the best domestic players in developing nations, who are not only playing for free, but in MOST cases paying to play, personally funding the development, etc. And an incentive given to Heritage players who are willing to spend a season in their "selected overseas nation" to grow the game.

latingringo101

Juniors
He played for Fiji after the 2013 WC, which means he is in the current cycle and should not be allowed change per the RLIF rules. Of course everyone knows that if the NRL and Australia really want it to happen, it is a fair chance they will find "a reason" to make it happen.
There are two BIG ISSUES, with the current International Player Rules that need to be addressed:
(i) Players changing nations, or choosing nations based on heritage, mostly in sight of money. It is hard to come down on players who are making their living for doing that. BUT they should not be allowed change inside a WC cycle. And NO PLAYER should ever be allowed play for more than 2 nations. (ii) The number of domestic players selected in National teams needs to be mandated. For the game to grow outside current nations, there must be domestic competitions. The only way this happens if if there is some kind of protection for the domestic players when it comes to international games. Personally I would like to see 51% of all SQUADS made up of domestic players. This would mean all national teams are "a majority" of domestic players. And in the WC where SQUADS are 24 players, this means 13 must be domestic and 11 can be heritage players.
It is fair to say that the 11 heritage players would be named in the 17 name team for games. If a national needs more than 11 players in a team who are heritage players, then they need to do more work on the domestic front.
And for clarity, I consider a DOMESTIC PLAYER, any player who is eligible as a Citizen or Resident based on current RLIF rules, who has registered and played a minimum of one season in his selected country.
This means players from a country who have played one or more seasons in their homeland, but now playing overseas to gain experience, etc. count as domestic. International players who qualify thru "Heritage Citizenship" who have committed to at least a season in their selected country (thus helping grow the domestic game) would be domestic players. Yet those heritage players who have reside outside of their selected country, and thus not directly contributed to the domestic growth of the game, would be one of the "49" percent heritage players.
They rules must protect the best domestic players in developing nations, who are not only playing for free, but in MOST cases paying to play, personally funding the development, etc. And an incentive given to Heritage players who are willing to spend a season in their "selected overseas nation" to grow the game.

You're ideas have merit Spinner and are valid too.

I believe however what will help RL more is if we enforce the 1 nation for life rule (similar to FIFA).

It basically means that once you play in a World Cup/World Cup qualifier or Full A Grade International tournament you're bound to that nation for life.

So things like 9s tournaments, One off Test matches, S.O.O etc DO NOT bind you to a team. Once you choose to play for a nation in ANY international team in a Round Robin tournament you're in that team for life!

That way players are bound to that nation for life and brings legitimacy for that national team.

ram raid

Bench
I'm old fashioned I guess I just feel that Australians should be playing for Australia. It's not really fair for NZ and the Poms that Australia can gets to scoop up all the talent.

hutch

First Grade
The one positive to come out of all of this drama is the recognition that nations such as Fiji need help. People are starting to discuss the issue, international rugby league eligibility has become a topic of conversation. Darren Lockyers article was sensational. It is time for the powers that be put a plan in place that benefit the future of the game.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...rugby-league-competition-20160402-gnwpfm.html

The chances of unearthing the next Semi Radradra have increased after footballing powerbrokers headed to Fiji to explore the feasibility of the Pacific nation fielding a team in the NSW Intrust Premiership competition next year.

High-ranking NSWRL officials David Trodden, Barrie-Jon Mather and Bob Millward*are spending*the weekend in Fiji inspecting the infrastructure to determine if it is up to the standard required to host a competition that is the chief pathway to the NRL. The trio have scheduled a series of meetings with the bid team, the consortium backing them and key government officials as the parties near an agreement.

"We've worked through a lot of the detail with them and we're now in a position where the next step in the process is to inspect all of their facilities, hosting arrangements and travel accommodation to ensure they are up to standard," NSWRL chief executive Trodden said.

Advertisement

"" style="margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; font-size: 0px; display: block; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">On tour: Barrie-Jon Mather, Petero Civoniceva, Bob Millward and David Trodden at ANZ Stadium in Fiji.Photo: Supplied

"If we can tick all that off, we're another step down the track to having a Fiji team in the competition in the*2017 season.

"It's very important for the game as a whole. The ARLC have*acknowledged the importance with the recent work they did with their pathways project, in which they envisaged a Fijian team in the competition."

Suva's ANZ Stadium, which has a capacity of about 15,000, has been earmarked as the prospective team's home ground. Officials hope the Fiji*team can replicate the success of the PNG Hunters in Queensland's Intrust Super Cup, a team that has enjoyed a cult following*since joining the competition in 2013.

Fijian bid team co-ordinator*Petero Civoniceva, one of the nation's greatest league players, has been a driving force in negotiations. The*legendary Brisbane, Penrith, Queensland and Australia prop believes the game will flourish in the region if the*proposal is approved.

"The growth of rugby league will explode,"*Civoniceva*said. "It's just going through the roof in terms of the numbers of players registering at schools to play.

"It's all on the back of the amazing exposure rugby league gets on free-to-air TV here.

"If we have a team of local players, playing against Intrust Super Cup players week in and week out, the growth of rugby league here will go through the roof.

"When we're talking about the game internationally, it will be an amazing step forward for Fiji.

"We won't have any trouble unearthing the next Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete or Lote Tuqiri. [Laughing] or maybe even another Petero."

Civoniceva has been working on the ambitious project with Rockhampton businessman Greg Brown for several years and their dream is nearing realisation. Civoniceva believes there is sufficient talent in the region to field a team that will be immediately competitive.

"Fijians love the toughness, speed and athleticism of rugby league," he said.*"You go to any village on a Friday or Saturday night and you've got the NRL on all the TVs.

"Everyone we have spoken to in the country, from the government to the tourism ministers, are extremely excited about the potential for the Sydney teams coming to Fiji."

The emergence of Radradra, a cult figure following an unlikely journey to stardom at Parramatta, has inspired local interest in the sport and raised awareness of the depth of talent in the region.

The NRL floated its intention to launch a platinum league, a revamped second-tier competition that would split NSW into 11 regions. The plan was hatched by former NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson, but his departure to South Sydney and the absence of a head of football after Todd Greenberg's move*to the top job at head office*have*left uncertainty about if and when the proposal*will be implemented.

Follow Us on Facebook

Recommended

Is sex OK – even before the first date?Lifestyle

Chris Brown Attacks Kehlani Parrish On Twitter Following Her Attempted SuicideThe Huffington Post Australia

Why I stopped having sex in public placesLifestyle

Cameron Cullen brings back memories for Wayne BennettRugby League

Rihanna's Face Said It All When She Handed Her Mic To A FanThe Huffington Post Australia

PROMOTEDDon't Miss These NSW Hikes, Walks And Trailsvisitnsw.com

PROMOTEDMexican Weather Girl Yanet Garcia Breaks The InternetThe Roar TV

PROMOTEDYou're hired! Five questions to ask at an interview and make it happenThe Naked CEO

PROMOTEDSigns you're approaching burnout (and how to avoid it)Smarter Business Ideas by Telstra

PROMOTEDHave You Tried The Best Beer In NSW?visitnsw.com

Recommended by

1 comment so far

cheaper than grooming a junior through the ranks I suppose.....hang on didnt I hear teflon say grass roots football and junior development is high on the agenda. I suppose when he talked about parti...*

read more

Commentergreg*LocationgoldcoastDate and timeApril 02, 2016, 8:54PM

login to comment*

New user?*Sign up

Terms of UseFull siteFeedbackMore

Copyright © 2016 Fairfax Media*The Sydney Morning Herald

EmailFacebookGoogle PlusTwitterWhatsapp

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'm old fashioned I guess I just feel that Australians should be playing for Australia. It's not really fair for NZ and the Poms that Australia can gets to scoop up all the talent.

Funnily enough it's been the kiwis and England that have taken advantage of this rule in the past , with guys like fien, webb and chase.

deluded pom?

Coach
Funnily enough it's been the kiwis and England that have taken advantage of this rule in the past , with guys like fien, webb and chase.

All three are as bad as each other. I'd remove the residency rule for players in the SL and NRL. With only two full time professional competitions in the world obviously any top player will end up playing in one or the other. Just because an uncapped New Zealander signs for a SL club for three seasons shouldn't make him available for England. Whereas I wouldn't have a problem with an Australian spending several seasons in France at Elite level going on to rep for France in the future. The issue I have with Spinner's suggestion is the length of some nations' season. An Australian player of Italian descent could go to Italy for a month and be eligible for Italy as part of the domestic 49%. That can't be right. The USA and Canada, among others, are similar situations.

ram raid

Bench

Recommended

Is sex OK ? even before the first date?Lifestyle

Chris Brown Attacks Kehlani Parrish On Twitter Following Her Attempted SuicideThe Huffington Post Australia

Why I stopped having sex in public placesLifestyle

Cameron Cullen brings back memories for Wayne BennettRugby League

Rihanna's Face Said It All When She Handed Her Mic To A FanThe Huffington Post Australia

PROMOTEDDon't Miss These NSW Hikes, Walks And Trailsvisitnsw.com

PROMOTEDMexican Weather Girl Yanet Garcia Breaks The InternetThe Roar TV

PROMOTEDYou're hired! Five questions to ask at an interview and make it happenThe Naked CEO

PROMOTEDSigns you're approaching burnout (and how to avoid it)Smarter Business Ideas by Telstra

PROMOTEDHave You Tried The Best Beer In NSW?visitnsw.com

Recommended by

1 comment so far

cheaper than grooming a junior through the ranks I suppose.....hang on didnt I hear teflon say grass roots football and junior development is high on the agenda. I suppose when he talked about parti...*

read more

Commentergreg*LocationgoldcoastDate and timeApril 02, 2016, 8:54PM

login to comment*

New user?*Sign up

Terms of UseFull siteFeedbackMore

Copyright © 2016 Fairfax Media*The Sydney Morning Herald

EmailFacebookGoogle PlusTwitterWhatsapp

ram raid

Bench
All three are as bad as each other. I'd remove the residency rule for players in the SL and NRL. With only two full time professional competitions in the world obviously any top player will end up playing in one or the other. Just because an uncapped New Zealander signs for a SL club for three seasons shouldn't make him available for England. Whereas I wouldn't have a problem with an Australian spending several seasons in France at Elite level going on to rep for France in the future. The issue I have with Spinner's suggestion is the length of some nations' season. An Australian player of Italian descent could go to Italy for a month and be eligible for Italy as part of the domestic 49%. That can't be right. The USA and Canada, among others, are similar situations.

You remember at the cricket word cup where the yanks and canada were blasting out awesome scores because they were packed with aussies/poms/kiwis who discovered some yank dna somewhere down their family tree.

Maybe I'll marry an refuge and represent Burundi at the Rio Olympics.

roughyedspud

Coach
One worrying aspect in all this is the attitude of some of the players & ex players..

Dell was on triple m on saturday..he basically said "semi is the best winger in the NRL so HAS to play for australia....michael jennings has pretty much repeated today what dell said..

Why can't they grasp that this is international RL not club RL with transfers!!

or maybe if they want a transfer system the ARLC should pay fiji a fee for semi!

DiegoNT

First Grade
I see some people try defending this by saying other sports like cricket and soccer do the same thing with heritage and naturalized players. In international soccer for example it's not uncommon for Brazilian and Argentinanians turning up in other international teams or aussie club cricketers representing canade. In those examples you have guys who have no chance of making the grade with the big international teams so they go represent a minnow. What we have here is a big international team picking the best player from a minnow. Could you imagine if Spain picked Gareth Bale because Wales will never challenge for titles? Or someone like chris Gayle playing test cricket for Australia because west indies aren't that competitive in the 5 day game any more?

Latest posts