What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 20 vs Broncos

franklin2323

Immortal
Imagine my surprise.

No one mentioned the Broncos having the same bench makeup as us.
We can't defend yet only missed 18 tackles
We are 4/6 since putting Cartwright 5/8th... Too bad the coach is hopeless

Frankus

Juniors
This was our biggest win against the Broncos in an away game (previous was 24-10 at the same ground in 1992).

Also the second only time we've beaten the Broncos in two regular season matches in one season. Previous was 1990, when we beat them 3 times in a single season including the finals.

Also our biggest win this season (previous 30-18 vs Warriors). Our 31 points scored was the highest all season (equal with the Manly game) and the 12 conceded was the lowest of the season.
Thanks David Middleton.

Frankus

Juniors
Ill be that guy. The way he fell off Roberts was very poor. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's up to it at this point.
Exactly. I think he should have made that tackle on Roberts. And he had no f**king idea what to do when Boyd scored. Yeah he scored a try but both tries we let in he was in a position to stop.

A perfect segue into Cartwright needs to sort out his defence ASAP. It is piss poor to put it bluntly.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. I think he should have made that tackle on Roberts. And he had no f**king idea what to do when Boyd scored. Yeah he scored a try but both tries we let in he was in a position to stop.

A perfect segue into Cartwright needs to sort out his defence ASAP. It is piss poor to put it bluntly.

Cartwright is making 92% of his tackles. Problem is when he misses them they lead to tries

Frankus

Juniors
Cartwright is making 92% of his tackles. Problem is when he misses them they lead to tries
So are you defending him or saying its a problem? The bloke misses 1 in every 10 tackles and has missed 50 odd tackles this season. If he was making 50+ tackles a game, 50 misses all season might be excusable. His attempt on Boyd was embarrassing.

franklin2323

Immortal
So are you defending him or saying its a problem? The bloke misses 1 in every 10 tackles and has missed 50 odd tackles this season. If he was making 50+ tackles a game, 50 misses all season might be excusable. His attempt on Boyd was embarrassing.

Not defending him. He seems to have a problem when the player is coming at speed. This rarely happens on the halfway line so looks shocking when he misses

TheFrog

Coach
Thanks David Middleton.
Unfortunately, Middo doesn't visit the Panthers forum very often (if ever) so you have to settle for second prize.

Not defending him. He seems to have a problem when the player is coming at speed. This rarely happens on the halfway line so looks shocking when he misses

There's a fair bit of him, and he's always going to be made look a goose one on one by fleet footed backs who can use their feet. He's certainly not alone in that. Still, with Hook seemingly now having the authority to hire the support staff he needs, a defensive coach should be at the very top of the list, with no expense spared. Teach Bryce to tackle. While he's at it, do the same for DWZ and Hiku. Teach them all to tackle. If they could tackle adequately well, we'd be talking top 4 now instead of scraping into the bum end of the 8.

Is Fairleigh available? He seemed pretty good. Seems he was part of the Cleary package though.

I note also that our Under 20's have conceded less than 60% of the points of the next best defensive side in that comp and also less than 14 of the NRL sides. If Ciraldo can teach 18-20 year olds to tackle, maybe he might be of use in that area.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
This game was how we should always play - D was great - Attack seemed to gel at most points - Great game, and, I will admit, seemingly coached very well.

I've said I think Griffin is a shit coach - I am more than happy to be proven wrong, and will admit it when it happens.

I still think Griffin is a sub-par coach, but my opinion of him has increased after Friday night - I'll hold off getting my membership to the Hook Fan Club until after he has proven his coaching prowess in more than one game though.

Mez was a beast, even more so when singing the victory song in the sheds afterwards :)

Hope Blake is ok - That looked like a really ugly and painful way to end up on the ground

greynurse

Juniors
I have been watching the replay of the game. I can't believe what Cleary did to get the repeat set for Moylans try. Not only did he get the repeat set but it was after we struggled to make metres it may go down as my play of the year.

GongPanther

Referee
Yeah it's a filthy habit. My wife commented on him and his spitting on Friday night and always mentions how disgusting it is whenever she watches games.

Can't remember a game where nobody spat on the ground in a game.As long as it is not in spite at another player,it really is not an issue.

Soccer players,Cricketers,NFL players,gum boot throwers ,etc all spit.

maple_69

Bench
I have been watching the replay of the game. I can't believe what Cleary did to get the repeat set for Moylans try. Not only did he get the repeat set but it was after we struggled to make metres it may go down as my play of the year.

Yep these are the types of plays that win games. It's the type of thing Soward brought at his best and we've been missing for a while. I think he did it twice on Friday as well. Cleary has everything this side has been crying out for and i can't wait to see him paired with a guy used to running structured plays.

Frankus

Juniors
Can't remember a game where nobody spat on the ground in a game.As long as it is not in spite at another player,it really is not an issue.

Soccer players,Cricketers,NFL players,gum boot throwers ,etc all spit.
Just because others do it makes it no less deplorable.

Won't somebody think of the children!

31914460.jpg