What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should We Bring Back The Draw

Should We Bring Back The Draw

• Yes

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters

SBD82

Coach
I really don't understand how we ended up with golden point. The old system with proper xt in finals only was a very good system.

If they must keep golden point I think they should have 4 points for a win, 3 points for a win in golden point, 1 point for a loss in golden point, and 2 points for a draw after 90.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'd be interested to see the ladder this year if all golden point games ended up in a draw. We have won 2/2 this year and I think something like 9/10 or even more over the past 3-4 years so I don't mind it that much lol. But I agree that it brings some pretty shit play just setting up field goals. Although the 7 tackle rule has made it a bit more exciting. Im sitting on the fence. Maybe golden try might be worth a shot. I definitely think all finals matches should be extra time 10 mins each way as it used to be. It's the finals I don't think any elimination game should be decided like that

Don't ask me how I had time to do a revised ladder after last night's game. :p (I think I did it right)

DIF
PTS
Melbourne 243 36
Cronulla 191 36
Canberra 148 30
Canterbury 89 30
North QLD 190 29
Brisbane 67 25
Penrith 7 25
NZ Warriors -6 25
------------------------
Wests Tigers -46 25
Gold Coast 7 23
Manly -42 20
St Illa Dragons -169 19
Souths -139 16
Parramatta -28 14
Syd. Roosters -137 13
Newcastle -411 8

The top 8 wouldn't change at all but notice how the 3 teams that finish the 8 are all on 25 points, plus Wests Tigers also on 25

Parra is the only team so far that hasn't played a Golden Point so nothing changes there.

I have found some games exciting in Golden Point and then there's some that are too predictable, teams just going for field goal all the time, players not square or are not back the 10m. The referee's put their whistle away in golden point.

The draw between Sharks and Titans was most deserving. If either team lost it would've been disappointing.

Leave it as a draw after 80 minutes.

Card Shark

Immortal
Was good to hear the Ch Nein commentators bagging it last night 'cause it's their employers that have kept it in.

I'd even take a slight pay cut to the broadcast rights to f**k it off...that's what it's going to take.

Diesel

Referee
I really don't understand how we ended up with golden point. The old system with proper xt in finals only was a very good system.

If they must keep golden point I think they should have 4 points for a win, 3 points for a win in golden point, 1 point for a loss in golden point, and 2 points for a draw after 90.
the NRL wanted to be like the NFL

carcharias

Immortal
Yes. Golden point sucks balls.
This is the only correct reply.

I used to like GP but now it does suck balls.
Teams actually will play for a draw so they can get a second chance in GP
That Manly bloke last night kicked it out ????
He had time to have one last crack I think

Game_Breaker

Coach

Golden point has been pretty good for Canterbury recently, I'd say we have one of the best records in golden point. But for the good of the game, it's not needed in regular season games, or even in finals footy until after 10 minutes of extra time.

Like a lot of these stupid changes, the media made it happen. I remember before golden point was introduced you had News Ltd articles calling for it, footy show panelists calling for it, and addicted gamblers calling for it (which may or may not be part of the former 2 groups mentioned).

They all used the same old reasoning, "A draw is like kissing your cousin". Which didn't make sense. The person who introduced golden point after all the "pressure" was this guy

upload_2016-8-12_13-6-2.jpeg

beejay001

Juniors
It's hipster to not like Golden Point.

Let's be honest, it's a ratings winner and they're not going back to a draw at 80min. The only change you can hope for is Golden try. That would open it up since the Ref's wouldn't be as shy to blow a penalty.

duck

Juniors
The quality of play in golden point is shitty but not as shitty as the refereeing in golden point.
Scrap it. It's farcical.

Golden try however would be awesome.

Card Shark

Immortal
Ya can't have golden try, teams will do anything to stop this - legal or illegal to stop a team scoring. That'll really get the refs blowing their whistle.

It's 5 mins each way or f**k it off!

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't understand how golden point can be a ratings winner any more than tight games in general.
You can't predict it being on until the last few mins of a game.
And at most it gets the broadcaster an extra 10mins, usually closer to 3.

GongPanther

Referee
I'm all for the draw.The time,effort and energy spent on and off the field warrants taking something away from a close contest.A draw indicates exactly that,how close those two teams battled hard against each other.In fact,draws should be lauded for the close contest they are,and not what they could have been.

Another instance for the draw is if a team lowly down the ladder in the final round of the season proper,only needs a point to avoid the wooden spoon,and gets that draw,then who can begrudge that scenario?

The same applies to the other end of the spectrum.A particular club playing in the last game in the last round,might just only need one competition point to sew up the minor premiership.

Which leaves me to the most important reason in why the GP should be dropped.It is because of the player welfare towards the end of GP time.I have witnessed players who have played their hearts out in normal time,only to have to play up to another 10 long arduous minutes.

It might seem another 10 minutes to us mere mortals who are watching the extra time with a beer in our hand,and a pie in the other.But when I watched them closely,they were close to collapsing.Not all of the players mind you,but the ones that felt it the worse.

The other point is this...when a team does play GP,and plays the entire extra time,or close to it,as we have all seen,it damages both of those teams for the next week,even without a short turnaround.

Draws are inevitable.So make them a part of the makeup.The players,and fans collectively will be happier for it.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Nah sport is about winning and losing,a draw is very lesbian,just make it golden try instead of golden field goal

simmo1

First Grade
Extra time would be better, but most of golden point's problems come down to refs putting the whistle away.

Knight76

Juniors

As usual the morons commentating the game wanted extra time because they argued a draw was like a loss with both sides feeling like they lost the game, and that the extra time would be a wonderful spectacle of excitement.

Fast forward a while and you have the same commentators arguing now, that there is nothing wrong with a draw and it is harsh that one side misses out on points after a hard fought 80 minutes.

Prime example last night. Gus and ray whining about tries being ruled on via slow motion replays, and the time it takes to make a decision. These same clowns were the ones complaining to have the video ref brought in arguing the ref makes constant mistakes, their evidence, their slow motion replays they used to relentlessly ridicule ref decisions.

I'm getting ready for a diabolical duo to mount their high horse again tonight and start the campaigning again.

My solution, have each game worth 3 points for the win. at the end of 80 if it's a draw each team earns a point for their efforts, they play on to try to win the extra point. If at the end it is still a draw, each team shares a point.

adamkungl

Immortal
A draw is a legitimate result. Lets go back to the way it was before and make it the last rule change for a while.

Bugger off the 7th tackle nonsense,
Bring back the shoulder charge and,
Reduce the video ref usage,
and stop suspending players for no f**king reason

And i'd be happy as a pig in shit

TheFrog

Coach
Table Without Golden Point (at end of round 25)

1 Storm 38
2 Sharks 38
3 Raiders 36
4 Cowboys 33
5 Broncos 31
6 Panthers 31
7 Bulldogs 30
8 Titans 27
9 Tigers 27
10 Warriors 25
11 Rabbitohs 22
12 Dragons 21
13 Sea Eagles 20
14 Roosters 17
15 Eels 16
16 Knights 8

Edit: A mistake allocating a point in the Titans- Rabbitohs game.

Last edited: