What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Organised Crime Squad Investigating alleged NRL Match-Fixing

Eion

First Grade
They played that same customs trick with Gals phone. Note to the baddies...don't take your normal phone overseas.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...-reports-phone-was-seized/7831712?section=nswThe following was just posted by the ABC News website -

Steve Matai threatens legal action over reports his phone was seized by NSW Police
Posted 10 minutes agoFri 9 Sep 2016, 3:46pm

Steve Matai has vehemently denied media reports saying his phone had been seized by police, threatening legal action.

Fairfax Media and the Seven Network said on Friday Matai's phone had been taken as NSW Police investigate alleged match-fixing in the NRL.

But the Manly centre rejected the reports and a club statement said Matai's management would commence legal proceedings for defamation against the outlets who named Matai.

"My phone has never been out of my possession and I have never been interviewed by police," Matai said.

"I am humiliated by the baseless rumour and this is really upsetting for my family.

"I can't believe my name has been thrown out there like this."

The statement also said Matai had his phone on him when Manly officials visited the 32-year-old.

Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly said the Sea Eagles would continue to support "such an icon of our club".

"He has given us no reason to do otherwise over 14 years of service," Kelly said.

Dozens of players, officials and members of the public are expected to be interviewed as a NSW Police strike force investigates reports of "cheating at gambling" and match-fixing in the NRL.

Police said they would work with the New South Wales Crime Commission and they have the full support of the NRL.

Surely the journalist would have confirmed with police that the phone was confiscated.

Surely the journalist wouldn't report something without verifying his facts.

Surely?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Surely the journalist would have confirmed with police that the phone was confiscated.

Surely?

You're given them too much credit

I'm pissed off because I had all these jokes lined up

El Diablo

Post Whore

Surely?
you're talking about Rugby League journalists

most of them hate the game and just deal in sensationalism

El Diablo

Post Whore

Surely?
you're talking about Rugby League journalists

most of them hate the game and just deal in sensationalism

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...y-sea-eagles-nsw-police-warn-against-rumours/

The NSW Police have warned against media speculation into the NRL match fixing allegations, after Manly's Steve Matai has apparently been wrongly identified as the subject of investigation.

With several media outlets running a story about Matai's phone allegedly being seized by the police in relation to the investigation, Matai has released a statement denying involvement and advising that he will be taking legal action against the outlets who named him.

It was announced earlier this week that the NSW Police have assigned a strike force to the investigation, with all of Manly's games from the last two seasons under review.

Police statement
NSW Police understands the public interest in respect to Strike Force Nuralda both in terms of the investigation of alleged organised crime activities and in respect to ensuring the integrity of sporting culture in NSW.

The Organised Crime Squad cannot confirm any specific details of the matters being investigated.

It is important that people, players and officials who may become part of this investigation are not wrongly accused or have their reputations unfairly tarnished on the basis of rumour.

Does anyone have the full article about the $500 match fixing with Wollongong Wests juniors?

I'd like to read it but it's behind paywall.

BM1979

Juniors
Semantics argument. The Police did not technically seize your phone but it is without question that Customs would not have done it without a request by the taskforce.

Maximus

Coach

Surely?

You've never heard of Josh Massoud?

I doubt he has ever confirmed anything he reports.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Massoud and that other pretty boy parasite at 7 are New Idea writers.

I hope he has grounds to sue their arses.

If any Manly player is guikty of match fixing I hope they catch them and ban them. But writing utter shit about people is pathetic

Latest posts