What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi final vs Raiders

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Still nursing the pain...

Bench usage was stupid, scratch that, beyond stupid - Leota must be livid.

I think that is one clear weakness Griffin has - he's fine wasting a bench spot on a back when we are playing dross and killing it, but when it comes to grinding games with higher quality opposition, using the bench effectively is vital. Fans of all teams will always bemoan losing a player to injury during a game and having to play with 16... so I don't understand the rationale behind purposely doing so.

tripster

Juniors
I think that is one clear weakness Griffin has - he's fine wasting a bench spot on a back when we are playing dross and killing it, but when it comes to grinding games with higher quality opposition, using the bench effectively is vital. Fans of all teams will always bemoan losing a player to injury during a game and having to play with 16... so I don't understand the rationale behind purposely doing so.

It does baffle me why Leota didn't get used at all. One opportunity would have been when Yeo got hit high and we had a free interchange.

Frankus

Juniors
Regardless of our bench rotations that game - you can't turn over 30% of the ball you get and miss 50 tackles and win games. Simple.

Without intentionally taking anything away from the Raiders who played well and took their opportunities - we were our own worst enemy for large periods.

GongPanther

Referee
Regardless of our bench rotations that game - you can't turn over 30% of the ball you get and miss 50 tackles and win games. Simple.

Without intentionally taking anything away from the Raiders who played well and took their opportunities - we were our own worst enemy for large periods.

That was just about the crux of the matter.

Basically shot ourselves in the foot constantly when we couldn't handle the overall pace of the game.

Onwards and upwards.

That was just about the crux of the matter.

Basically shot ourselves in the foot constantly when we couldn't handle the overall pace of the game.

Onwards and upwards.

It's the most annoying games. Where you think - what if we just held onto the ball... oh well look forward to next year!

ACTPanthers

Bench
Could those errors and missed tackles late in the game have anything to do with fatigue? Some of those guys looked spent out there and we had a fresh player on the bench.

martielang

Bench
Our 3rd benchie forward never gets much time - 10mins max. It wasn't really surprising to me Leota didn't get on considering he was a late inclusion to the side.

I think people are reading way too far into it...

ACTPanthers

Bench
Ha ha ok, a complete waste of a bench player is just "reading way too far into it" - Nothing to do with the fact our boys looked gassed as f**k in the last 20...

martielang

Bench
So gassed in that last 20 that we scored two tries and stopped them from scoring a try despite having all the ball...

I would of given him minutes, like most I rate Leota, but it's not as if it's completely out of the blue that Leota wasn't required, especially when our interchange was impacted by an injury. He wanted to give more minutes to Latu and Co. our best forwards, I'm ok with that.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Righto mate - Next time we lose a game because we're a man down on the bench, I'll keep this in mind - Who needs 17 players? May as well just name the cat at 17 each week then.

betcats

Referee
Righto mate - Next time we lose a game because we're a man down on the bench, I'll keep this in mind - Who needs 17 players? May as well just name the cat at 17 each week then.

We didn't lose because Leota didn't play imo, no one knows what difference it could of made, you are definitely reading to much into it.

Anyway after playing so well its a shame we didn't show up this week but well done to Griffin and the team, great season.

BxTom

Bench

So next game we take off a player who is playing the house down just to make sure that the reserve gets a game?

Tom.

ACTPanthers

Bench
So next game we take off a player who is playing the house down just to make sure that the reserve gets a game?

Tom.

Yep, because that's what I said... Remind me, who was playing the house down to keep Leota on the bench?

Anyway, it's done. NFL season has started and NBA2K17 was released - Gonna be a long off-season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep, because that's what I said... Remind me, who was playing the house down to keep Leota on the bench?

Anyway, it's done. NFL season has started and NBA2K17 was released - Gonna be a long off-season.

It got to 18-12 and all the starters came back on. Every coach would of done the same

martielang

Bench
I think the majority of us would of wanted Leota to get some time. If Yeo didn't come off, who knows Leota may have been penciled in for some minutes but the extra changes / changes to interchange routine, hindered that.

I just think its a long bow to point the finger at that as a reason as to why we lost. The simple thing is, we just didn't play very well for 65 mins of the game and we were probably at our worst in the first 20 when fitness wouldn't of been an issue either way.

I have no issue with Griffins use of the interchange. I can't really remember a game where its had an obvious negative impact, but I can remember plenty of games where he's brought on Grems/Akaoula/Latu at the right time and changed momentum.

We can agree to disagree.

Pomoz

Bench
I think we are lucky to have so many players with good engines. Cartwright, Yeo, Merrin and JFH are all 80 minute players. It gives us great flexibility in matches.

I hope the NRL reduce the number of interchanges again so fatigue is more of a factor. Make it six changes and we might see more open attacking play as the big boppers get tired.

The yak

Juniors
Every coach would've only used 16 players in a final...? OK, I've really heard it all now.

Anyway, like I said, it's done. Nothing I say will change the result.

I agree the use of 16 players in the final is strange. I can't comment on the last 20 minutes because I tapped out after 18 - nil. Knew we didn't have the magic that night.
I did notice another coach last week use 16 players after 80 minutes Wayne Bennett.
He kept Pangai on the pine until the 85th minute. I don't how may interchanges he had left in the 2nd half but it does seem odd when most of the Bronco's forwards were exhausted with 15 - 20 to go.