What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters v Bears

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That wasn't great, that was AWESOME! Tremendous achievement by the players, coaches and the club. Absolute pleasure to watch. Havili best on ground for mine, but all played well and did their part.

Agree johnno havilli was great.
So was hutch the best game I've seen from him imho
No one's had a bad day from the cutters

Last edited:

drago brelli

Bench
Can Mark Coyne recommend that Mary become the water boy for the Under 6's?

Guys, the season's over, you have to move from all this' Mary' stuff. It's been done to death. Look forward, some promising players in the Cutters performance, u/20s have some future stars and I think Matt Head is a potential first grade coach. It looks like a lot of you guys are JD fans and he will have a full off season with the top squad.

getsmarty

Immortal
NSW Cup NRL State Championship v Burleigh Bears
Sun 2nd October, 05:30PM
A A

2016 NRL Grand Final Day. Competition - Intrust Super Championship. Round - Grand Final. Teams - Illawarra Cutters v Burleigh Bears. Venue - ANZ Stadium Homebush, Sydney. Date - October 2nd 2016. Photographer - Paul Barkley Â:copyright: NRL Photos.

By Jack Brady (NRL.com)

The Illawarra Cutters were 54-12 winners over the Burleigh Bears in their NRL State Championship fixture at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Sunday.

The Intrust Super Premiership premiers were unstoppable from start to finish in the nine-tries-to-two rout of the Bears, where nine individual Cutters crossed the white stripe.

With the concept in its third year, the Cutters are the first New South Wales-based outfit to win the State Championship following Northern Pride and Ipswich's past successes.

In fact Cutters coach Jason Demetriou, captain Tyrone McCarthy and five-eighth Shaun Nona celebrated their second State Championship win after playing part in the Pride's 2014 triumph.

Nona was the star of the show for the Cutters and set the tone early with a 40/20 in the first five minutes. The Townsville Blackhawks-bound playmaker finished proceedings with three try assists and 18 points (nine goals from as many attempts).

While he may have thrown an intercept the set after his 40/20, Nona remarkably recovered the ball 30 metres down the paddock when he stripped it back from Burleigh centre Connor Broadhurst.

It led to the Cutters' first try of the game when veteran front-rower Shannon Wakeman crashed over under the black dot with two would-be Bears defenders hanging off him.

While Siliva Havili and Kalifa Faifai Loa were denied try-scoring opportunities thereafter, it took another big effort from another prop – this time Damian Sironen – to help the Cutters score next in the 22nd minute.

A flurry of passes between halfback Drew Hutchison, centre Taane Milne and Faifai Loa saw fullback Adam Quinlan score next four minutes later.

Failed efforts from Bears duo Waqa Wanahi and skipper Jamal Fogarty to clean up a Havili grubber allowed Jacob Host to push the score out to 24-0 after the half hour.

A 30-0 half-time lead was set in stone by the Cutters when back-rower Chris Lewis pounced on a Nona grubber three minutes from the break.

The Cutters continued where they left off in the first 40 when Hutchison weaved his way over just four minutes into the second half despite suggestions of Milne obstructing two Bears defenders.

Havili buried his way over from dummy-half to help the Cutters reach the 40-point mark by the 53rd minute.

A towering Nona bomb caught the Bears by surprise three minutes later when winger Kurt Mann jumped above the pack to score the Cutters' next try.

A barnstorming run helped Bears front-rower Josh Ailaomai score their only try of the game in the 61st minute.

But regular programming soon resumed when Taane Milne scored from dummy-half two minutes later, just moments after the Bears let the Cutters' kick-off bounce out, to help add to win.

Burleigh's Kurtis Rowe scored a consolation try in the final minute.

Illawarra Cutters 54. Tries: Wakeman, Sironen, Quinlan, Host, Havili, Lewis, Hutchison, Mann, Milne. Goals: Nona (9/9).

Burleigh Bears 12. Tries: Ailaomai, Row. Goals: Fogarty (1/1), Page (1/1).

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/10/02/nsw_cup_nrl_state_ch.html

Dragon Revival

Juniors
A great effort by the Cutters who have been exciting to watch this year along with the Under 20's. Hopefully First Grade will be coached properly next year and players will be picked on merit and not what they are paid..

Zucchini

Juniors
That wasn't great, that was AWESOME! Tremendous achievement by the players, coaches and the club. Absolute pleasure to watch. Havili best on ground for mine, but all played well and did their part.
I agree. Havilli was my MOM but happy for Hutchison too.

What a joy it was to watch that game. Thanks JD and all the team for reminding us how good it can feel to be a Dragons' supporter. Aside from the Sharks game, that was the most fun I had all year.

JD needs to be the first grade coach. The players respect him and he gives them clear instructions about what he wants from them. They have structure and confidence in what they are doing. If you put his credentials alongside Mary's, there is no way he should be Mary's understudy. We should wrap him up before another club does!!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Agree johnno havilli was great.
So was hutch the best game I've seen from him imho
No one's had a bad day from the cutters

No arguments there. Hutch was very impressive. As you say no one had a bad day, they just looked like a well drilled, well coached, well captained team, playing with a lot of enthusiasm, and with the skills to make it all work. Well done Cutters!

St Georgio

Juniors
I been working only to jump and see this what a bright future for our club, I am now willing to take a punt on JD..Third Time Lucky on a Rookie!
I remember in the early 90s a young reserves grade coach at North Sydney Bears along with his young troops win the comp, the following year he became head coach( I think his name was Steve Martin), even though the Bears never won the comp they were always very close to jagging one for a number of years!

possm

Coach
Yes I loved watching this gam; that is how a well coached team performs. Surely thie Board has to take note of this. Sure JD would be no more expensive than Mary.

Give JD the NRL job for 2017 and send Mary on a holiday.

hermidale1

Juniors
If JD isn't given a shot as first grade coach at the Dragons then some other club will snap him up. And if that happens we might lose players with him. The guy can coach. 5 titles in 3 years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No arguments there. Hutch was very impressive. As you say no one had a bad day, they just looked like a well drilled, well coached, well captained team, playing with a lot of enthusiasm, and with the skills to make it all work. Well done Cutters!

This.
One of the most important factors that determine not only a successful team, but individuals (aka tennis players etc) as well. A good coach selects a captain that not only inspires, but who the other players in the team look up to for guidance and direction.
The partnership of JD and McCarthy extends back for a couple of years to the Northern Pride. He knows his attributes and what he brings to the team. They work as one, not as individuals.
Our NRL team has McGregor and Widdop, no cohesion, no direction and no responsibility.

We can only hope our future can look like the Cutters duo, unfortunately with our HC and Cap at, as it seems, logger heads with each other, we can only sit back and watch, in slow motion, a train wreck in progress.

Congratulations Cutters, JD and staff, true professionals.

I wonder if Doust and Co were watching this game (and the last 2 as well), because nothing can convince me that McGregor has a "bright" future as an NRL coach. Impossible to fathom.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I been working only to jump and see this what a bright future for our club, I am now willing to take a punt on JD..Third Time Lucky on a Rookie!
I remember in the early 90s a young reserves grade coach at North Sydney Bears along with his young troops win the comp, the following year he became head coach( I think his name was Steve Martin), even though the Bears never won the comp they were always very close to jagging one for a number of years!

There's no guarantee that JD could deliver our NRL team a premiership, but you can say that for Cleary or Smith or Hasler or anyone else.
The one thing that would be guaranteed would be that they would deliver to us a brand of football we are all craving for. At the very least, JD would give us a team that would entertain with bright attacking footy. Yeah there would be defeats, and some may be heavy, but in all reality, we all want our Dragons to be just that, Dragons, having pride in the club, the jumper and the history. I think JD can provide the catalyst for the mental and physical requirements a player needs to perform at their peak.
At the moment, and as it appears, no player wants to play for McGregor, whose only interest is self preservation at any cost.

RedVDragon

Juniors
MESSAGE TO PAUL (MARY) McGREGOR

Grop your ego and learn from a coach that has won grand finals before rather than paint run down dressing rooms. Better still if an experienced coach isn't signed then step aside and allow JD to run the team.

Well done Jason excellent effort. 54 points in a Grand Final is excellent. You obviously know something about attacking model football.

Mr Red

First Grade
Congrats Cutters, not only winning but belting them.
Not a bad player for the cutters, but a few were standouts .... I thought havili and both our back rowers should be in line for first grade bench spots. Milne looked tough...

Havili was a powerhouse ... But jeez he looks like he's been in a good paddock recently , swallowed a cow or two since earlier in the season..

Mr Red

First Grade
The cutters used 42 players during the year, that makes JD's coaching even more special

Agree
If players can slot in and slot out of a team each week with very minimal disruption it's a credit to the coach and his structures.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Congrats to JD and the cutters, very well deserved.
JD has done all he can do to prove himself, the next move is up to the board.

Latest posts