What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

JDHD

Juniors
The game hasn't changed at all in those 40 years has it?

This is basically my whole point on the Dugan at fullback issue. Dugan is a fantastic runner of the ball. He breaks tackles and he's already got a couple of meat pies this year. His yardage is great and he starts our sets well.

HOWEVER.

None of that is what a fullback is anymore except the yardage and that can be accomplished by a big, strong winger eg Penrith, Parramatta, Brisbane, Cowboys, Roosters, etc etc etc. Dugan would make a wonderful centre but he lacks the playmaking ability to be a fullback who could be a key in a premiership season. Hence, we should be chasing a fullback who can playmake or develop Field or Dufty.

Como Connection

First Grade
This is basically my whole point on the Dugan at fullback issue. Dugan is a fantastic runner of the ball. He breaks tackles and he's already got a couple of meat pies this year. His yardage is great and he starts our sets well.

HOWEVER.

None of that is what a fullback is anymore except the yardage and that can be accomplished by a big, strong winger eg Penrith, Parramatta, Brisbane, Cowboys, Roosters, etc etc etc. Dugan would make a wonderful centre but he lacks the playmaking ability to be a fullback who could be a key in a premiership season. Hence, we should be chasing a fullback who can playmake or develop Field or Dufty.
Or Kurt Mann !!

Red V for life

Juniors
Paul Kent and Andrew Webster on NRL 360 discussing Duges.

Rehashing a lot of stuff we've previously discussed. Is he a centre or fullback? He will have to take a pay cut to stay yadda yadda...

...but then Paul Kent said his mail is the Club won't be too sad to see him go. Something about being 'difficult to coach'.

First time I heard this. Interesting.

:thinking:

giboz71

First Grade

Rehashing a lot of stuff we've previously discussed. Is he a centre or fullback? He will have to take a pay cut to stay yadda yadda...

...but then Paul Kent said his mail is the Club won't be too sad to see him go. Something about being 'difficult to coach'.

Yeh I saw that too.

Think Kenty could have worded it better. Doubt that Duges would be hard to coach, more likely he hasn't evolved the same way as other elite fullbacks.

All the great running fullbacks of modern times, Slater, Brett Stewart, RTS, GI and now Tedesco, none of these guys were natural ball players but they LEARNT. They found a way to add another skill set to their arsenal. Stewart for all his prolific try scoring managed over 20 try assists 1 season. No wonder he's won 2 comps.

Both Kent and Webster don't think he's a long term FB and I agree with them.

Old Timer

Coach

Paul Kent is a f**kwhit and a wanker.
He made the big call about Benji and Milford and when Wayne gave it back to him, Kent back tracked and went off in a tangent talking a whole lot of crap about Bennett and brought his personal life into it as well etc very poor taste and unprofessional IMO.
Talking about Dugan being difficult to coach who the f**k was Kent talking about because we don't have a coach do we?
Dugan said in a presser he has been working with Hornby on a few things re ball playing and that, that was coming along well.
f**k Paul Kent just another no account bullshit journalist who never has a good word to say about our club.
Every time things are going along OK for us those dead shits on Fox love giving it to us and making trouble where there is none.
BZZZZZZZZ all of them wankers and I can't wait until Fox lose all their power over the NRL.
EOR
PS: Ben Ikin is a wanker too.
Now end of rant

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I totally agree OT
Kent is just a shit stirring under qualified NRL reporter.
Never played the game, other than in his backyard maybe, and carries on like his word and knowledge and information is undeniable.
' I spoke with this one and that one today ' , total garbage comes out of his mouth.
Anyone with any authority in the game that does talk to him would just give him the brush off I reckon.
Mr fake news.

Lethal25

Juniors
I totally agree OT
Kent is just a shit stirring under qualified NRL reporter.
Never played the game, other than in his backyard maybe, and carries on like his word and knowledge and information is undeniable.
' I spoke with this one and that one today ' , total garbage comes out of his mouth.
Anyone with any authority in the game that does talk to him would just give him the brush off I reckon.
Mr fake news.
I don't disagree with your opinion on Kent but he did play one first grade game for Parra.

giboz71

First Grade
Speaking of Fox, every show is talking about the Dogs and Hasler. Out of all the footy brains on these shows, no one can come up with a solution for that club. Flick Hasler, then who's gonna replace him now Cleary looks like signing for the Tigers? And even if they get a new coach, they still have that dogshit spine. FMD, what a rabble.

I feared the same thing for us this time last year, thank goodness we've seen the light. Flicked Benji and Rein, get Hunt and McIness, possibly moving Duges to the centres. And young talents like Field, Dufty, Herbert and Milne ready to step up.

Never thought I'd ever say this, but we're miles ahead of them right now.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Paul kent is a dead set wanker so I wouldn't pay attention to him

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't get all the 'dugan isn't a fullback talk'. He is very safe, throws himself at loose balls and is the best kick returner in the game. This can not be underrated. His one drawback is he hasn't got a silky smooth pass, but how many fullbacks actually do? Even slater hasn't got the best pass. He can get himself in good positions to deliver the final pass, but his actual passing is pretty average. He uses his speed, impeccable timing and game reading to get himself in those positions. Dugan can be the same. He can use his strength, speed and energy to get himself into the position to deliver those final pass, even though he hasn't got the ball skills of a boyd or Moylan. Just my opinion looking at the outside. If you get Hunt, widdop returns to form dugan will be great for you guys.

Carlton

Juniors
Did anyone watch the first rounds of the comp, Dugan has been the best fullback. Did anyone see the last game and compare it to Tedesco, he was by far the better fullback. Why do all fullbacks now have to be small nippy ball players? If you have a power runner as a fullback implement a game plan that utilises this.

This year Dugan is showing a lot of pace and agility, word is he has lost a couple of kilos and it looks like it has reignited his evasiveness. Cant play, cant be coached, what a lot of crap. He is the best at what he does, don't waste it.

mickeylane

Bench
Dugan is the most unconventional fullback in the NRL - if that makes any sense - he's basically the only non ball playing FB in the comp which makes him "unconventional" which i thinks gives him the point of difference when coaches try to come up w a plan to nullify his involvement - THEY CANT!!
You cant defend Dugan he's un-defendable - he's doesn't run any lines like Boyd or other FB do - he bobs up anywhere and his 106KG frame is too hard to stop..

He's the best defending FB after Slater and his passion to perform for the team is second to none..I think he's our FB for the near future - I love Duftys potential but there is no way in hell that Dufty can defend at even 50% of Dugans efficiency...next year we have Hunt leading our attack along w potentially Widdop or Field - we can carry Dugan especially running off Hunt on the edges he will be unstoppable- i would rather take size over pace any day.....

We need Dugan signed asap....theres no Tedesco coming not a chance in hell....

Gareth67

First Grade
He made the big call about Benji and Milford and when Wayne gave it back to him, Kent back tracked and went off in a tangent talking a whole lot of crap about Bennett and brought his personal life into it as well etc very poor taste and unprofessional IMO.
Talking about Dugan being difficult to coach who the f**k was Kent talking about because we don't have a coach do we?
Dugan said in a presser he has been working with Hornby on a few things re ball playing and that, that was coming along well.
f**k Paul Kent just another no account bullshit journalist who never has a good word to say about our club.
Every time things are going along OK for us those dead shits on Fox love giving it to us and making trouble where there is none.
BZZZZZZZZ all of them wankers and I can't wait until Fox lose all their power over the NRL.
EOR
Now end of rant

I believe that he missed his true vocation - that being a spruiker , perhaps at the local carnival or even the Easter Show !

emu62

Juniors

" he is difficult to coach "- not likely
" he has a difficult coach"-highly likely

blacksafake

First Grade
EOR
Now end of rant
Hey OT
Watch your blood pressure there mate. Maybe a bex & nice cuppa to soothe nerves :smile:
PS
I agree btw

blacksafake

First Grade

Sounds like BS to me unless the club is trying to put it out there in an attempt to put Duges offside & force his hand to leave . This way the club comes out looking like the "good guys " saying we offered a good contract but he chose to go.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I don't disagree with your opinion on Kent but he did play one first grade game for Parra.

Besides Kent's stellar one first grade game with Parramatta in the late 80s, he spent the rest of his illustrious career with the North Sydney reserve grade team.