What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

ALSGI

Bench
I've been saying this for months, he's a keeper, make him Captain, pay him overs.

It's so obvious and really quiet simple - we always play better when he is on the field, win or lose.

He's inspirational, even when he makes mistakes he lifts the team - that's not a learned skill. He is exactly what our youngsters coming through need in leadership.

He's been our best for years, FFS sign him up now.

Life's Good

Coach
With performances like he has delivered in the first 4 rounds with the distraction of the 'disappointing' contract negotiations with the club going on in the background, can you imagine his performances if he could agree to terms with the Club?

:hugging::hugging::hugging::hugging:
If all is playing out in the background as rumoured then Duges surely is sticking 2 fingers up at the club with his form. Let's hope sanity prevails and he signs on.

possm

Coach
Dugan's extension can not be a 1m p/a, 4 yr deal. Yes he is performing well right now but when we looking into the past we have seen his form vary. In addition he is injury prone.

I would suggest a 3yr contract that starts off at 1m for 2018, 900k for 2019 and 800k for 2020. My reason for this is:
That I believe if he plays his 'power game' he will most likely be busted or burnt out from time to time.
That our young juniors who Millward has slotted to be groomed and elevated to first grade, will require more lucretive renumeration as they rise to first grade standard. They are cheap now and because of this we may be able to afford 1m in 2018 but we will not be able to continue paying them base grade money as they become stars.

Old Timer

Coach
Possm
The notion that Dugan is injury prone is just bull shit and excuse making.
Crusher tackle and fractured jaw are not injury prone they are as a result of illegal play and anyone else who suffered them would have had the same result "time out".
Dugan actually came back quicker than the original dates set by the Dr.
Please tell me when his form dropped or varied?
He got picked in SOO with stellar performances and then won an Australian jumper and is one of the first picked.
You mightn't like him as a player or for the $$$ he is asking for but don't talk shit about our best backline player over the last 4 years.
Dugan is a tough, gritty, talented footballer and his effort of busting his arse every game puts plenty of others to shame.
Dugan would be the first player I would keep in our backline.

Crush

Coach
Dugan's extension can not be a 1m p/a, 4 yr deal. Yes he is performing well right now but when we looking into the past we have seen his form vary. In addition he is injury prone.

I would suggest a 3yr contract that starts off at 1m for 2018, 900k for 2019 and 800k for 2020. My reason for this is:
That I believe if he plays his 'power game' he will most likely be busted or burnt out from time to time.
That our young juniors who Millward has slotted to be groomed and elevated to first grade, will require more lucretive renumeration as they rise to first grade standard. They are cheap now and because of this we may be able to afford 1m in 2018 but we will not be able to continue paying them base grade money as they become stars.
Possm, before the sesson started I was in the Dufty to FB, Dugan to centres camp and stated that we shouldn't offer him more than 700k.
I have changed my mind. Dugan is an inspirational player that we should do everything possible to keep. He is our best FB by a mile and without his defensive efforts we don't win the last couple of weeks.
Sign him up, give him 900k, make him captain and move on.

Crush

Coach
Possm
The notion that Dugan is injury prone is just bull shit and excuse making.
Crusher tackle and fractured jaw are not injury prone they are as a result of illegal play and anyone else who suffered them would have had the same result "time out".
Dugan actually came back quicker than the original dates set by the Dr.
Please tell me when his form dropped or varied?
He got picked in SOO with stellar performances and then won an Australian jumper and is one of the first picked.
You mightn't like him as a player or for the $$$ he is asking for but don't talk shit about our best backline player over the last 4 years.
Dugan is a tough, gritty, talented footballer and his effort of busting his arse every game puts plenty of others to shame.
Dugan would be the first player I would keep in our backline.
Dugan injury prone call pushes your buttons hey OT? ;)

Carlton

Juniors
I am a huge fan of Dugan's, I think his style of fullback is just as valid as the smaller 5/8 style that's popular at the moment. All that's needed is a game plan and a couple more dangerous attacking team mates.

The other thing I don't understand is this idea he is injury prone. He takes a hell of a lot of knocks but keeps going and doesn't spend as much time out injured as a lot of other full backs going around.

Carlton

Juniors
Give Dugan whatever he wants and throw in Doust's office, bar fridge and parking spot as well.
Dugan epitomises everything good about being a Dragon player and he is the best back we have by no short distance.

Hi Old Timer, there is a lot that we agree on. I think Dugan is close to the best fullback going around at the moment. The biggest split in our thinking seems to be our opinions of Widdop, this is life we wont agree on everything.

BennyV

Referee
I am a huge fan of Dugan's, I think his style of fullback is just as valid as the smaller 5/8 style that's popular at the moment. All that's needed is a game plan and a couple more dangerous attacking team mates.

The other thing I don't understand is this idea he is injury prone. He takes a hell of a lot of knocks but keeps going and doesn't spend as much time out injured as a lot of other full backs going around.
Unless we nab Tedesco (which would create changes in our requirements from centres and 5/8 for next year) then Dugan should be locked in to the #1 jersey for as long as he wants it. He's the type of player you build the rest of the team around! With Hunt at 7, a fast 5/8 (Mann still my pick) and centres with some ball skills (hoping for Milne and Herbert) we would be looking as a very potent backline next year.

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan injury prone call pushes your buttons hey OT? ;)
There is simply no evidence to support that theory.
Injury prone is succumbing to the same injury over and over (ala Benji) or missing games at irregular intervals due to a range of injuries non of which is typical of Dugan
Don't have an issue if people don't want him (even though that is stupidity IMO) just can't stand people building false straw men.

Old Timer

Coach
Hi Old Timer, there is a lot that we agree on. I think Dugan is close to the best fullback going around at the moment. The biggest split in our thinking seems to be our opinions of Widdop, this is life we wont agree on everything.
I still believe Widdop has ability and can be a good fit.
He is a victim of the club thinking 1 player could fix a range of problems.
If any person was remotely reasonable in doing an assessment of his halves partners and the game plans he has been delivered to play to, one would have to agree he was up against from the word go.
No doubt this year he has improved on the back of Mc Inness and Vaughan and I firmly believe even greater improvement awaits with the arrival of Hunt.
Again if proper were reasonable in their thinking processes and put themselves in Widdop's position since his arrival at the club you would have to ask WTF is this club doing to my career and who the hell are these journeymen and hacks they keep putting in the 7 jumper and who is the bafoon with the top not in the 9 jumper?
Ask yourself would you have been happy with what the club has given you to work with?

possm

Coach
There is simply no evidence to support that theory.
Injury prone is succumbing to the same injury over and over (ala Benji) or missing games at irregular intervals due to a range of injuries non of which is typical of Dugan
Don't have an issue if people don't want him (even though that is stupidity IMO) just can't stand people building false straw men.
Well there you have it. It's your definition of 'injury prone'. My reasoning centres on the number of games Dugan has missed playing first grade for the Dragons. I don't think he has a permanent injury that recurrs often - like Benji's hamstring. Dugan has a 'power play' style and because of this gets beltd hard and often.

I'm of the opinion this style will eventually take its toll and that is why I subscrige to the theory of a 3 yr deal wich pays 1m in 2018, 900k in 2019 and 800k in 2020. This contract would recognise the risk involved.

giboz71

First Grade
Too many question marks at the moment too see if Duges should be the long term FB. Still have no clue who our 5/8 will be, how are Field and Dufty developing and who will be the coach next year? Need answers to all of these to make a call.

Agree with Benny V, unless we get Tedesco, Dugan needs to be retained and will give us options to play him at Centre or FB , pending the answers to questions above.

What sort of team will be next year? Will we be the defensive, grinding team we are today (at the moment it's working but it could also fall apart just as fast) or do we have aspirations to be a free flowing attacking team with speed to burn??

Duges at 1 is perfect for the game we currently play, Can he combine with Hunt and our young flyers....we really need to find out.

possm

Coach
An offer was tabled to Dugan and a deadline of last weekend was put by the Club. Last weekend has passed and no word from the Club. Has Dugan's management come back with a a comprimise that the Dragons are interested in, or has there been a decision for Dugan to move on and an announcement delayed until Dugan has a contract from another Club.

I see no reason why the Dragons would delay an announcement advising Dugan is staying on.

Do are the Dragons now negotiating with Tedesco?

BennyV

Referee
Too many question marks at the moment too see if Duges should be the long term FB. Still have no clue who our 5/8 will be, how are Field and Dufty developing and who will be the coach next year? Need answers to all of these to make a call.

Agree with Benny V, unless we get Tedesco, Dugan needs to be retained and will give us options to play him at Centre or FB , pending the answers to questions above.

What sort of team will be next year? Will we be the defensive, grinding team we are today (at the moment it's working but it could also fall apart just as fast) or do we have aspirations to be a free flowing attacking team with speed to burn??

Duges at 1 is perfect for the game we currently play, Can he combine with Hunt and our young flyers....we really need to find out.
The questions regarding next year will revolve around the coach and around Dugan (assuming Tedescos is a no). Outside of Mary, the coach will want to actually utilise our backline and that revolves around Hunt and Dugan. You build a team around these 2. Give them a fleet-footed 5/8 with some ball skills, 2 agile centres who can pass and quick, finishing wingers and we start to look good.

If Tedesco does come, that back line changes.

Old Timer

Coach
An offer was tabled to Dugan and a deadline of last weekend was put by the Club. Last weekend has passed and no word from the Club. Has Dugan's management come back with a a comprimise that the Dragons are interested in, or has there been a decision for Dugan to move on and an announcement delayed until Dugan has a contract from another Club.

I see no reason why the Dragons would delay an announcement advising Dugan is staying on.

Do are the Dragons now negotiating with Tedesco?
It was reported the club back tracked on the deadline and said negotiations would be ongoing and no deadline.

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that most of us have been repeating ourselves about Dugan , however , he is essential to the team both in attack and also as a last line of defence - you can not fault him on that , as he is rock solid in that aspect .

His team spirit is second to none , he must be resigned , as I fear without him our backline would be close to a shambles - imo.
Besides , anyone that can sidestep the opposition fullback , as he done yesterday , must have the potential of being another Changa , that alone would be worth his price .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Pay Dugan $800 000 and make him Captain. Always leads by example and puts his body on the line.I still think he should be our fullback .

Spot on tommo
I have seen dufty play in 3 illawarra games and he's not setting the world on fire.
He's played well most of the time but struggles at other times in defence is were he needs to imporve

Latest posts