What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
What if I own some commercial property and my tenant is a person interested in the club, and pays me above market for the lease? You guys don't know how to rort anything.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is going on. And stupidly or ineptly some of out former rorters were in ideal positions to promote the scheme, yet we get caught inflating our own invoices...

Happy MEel

First Grade
What if I own some commercial property and my tenant is a person interested in the club, and pays me above market for the lease? You guys don't know how to rort anything.
If they are smart enough to coordinate that then I dare say the NRL's position would be good luck to them. They don't have access to their bank accounts and unless they start making appearances for said tenant then it's purely a wise investment of their money.

Gronk

Staff member

100% Right. Remember this below ?

Lets imagine that a Cows player buys a house and land package from the Chairman for market value. The construction contract is for a modest 3 bed single story build. Then there is a 'mix up"
suspicious.gif
and what actually gets approved by council and built is a high spec 5 bed + rumpus + triple garage McMansion.

The NRL inspect the books at Cows HQ and they see a house and land package contract plus a independent valuation. No way would the NRL see or value the finished product.

THE Cowboys’ quest for a maiden premiership is intact after the NRL on Tuesday cleared North Queensland of any salary-cap impropriety involving chairman Laurence Lancini.

Just days after the NRL launched a probe into Parramatta, the Cowboys were rocked by allegations several stars acquired properties via companies owned by millionaire developer Lancini.

A Sydney newspaper reported 10 leading Cowboys, including co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott, bought blocks of land and apartments from Lancini over the past seven years.

Other current players named in the report were James Tamou, Michael Morgan, Kane Linnett, Antonio Winterstein and Jason Taumalolo, who in February signed a new $2 million deal.

There were fears the revelations could see the Cowboys sanctioned by the NRL, as occurred in 2002 when the Bulldogs were sensationally docked 37 competition points for a cap breach.

But the NRL integrity unit has given North Queensland the green light — ensuring the Cowboys will play finals football as they ramp-up plans to smash their 20-year title drought.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg and integrity-unit boss Nick Weeks were in Townsville on Monday as part of a standard review of each club’s operations.

It is understood Lancini used the meeting to address any salary-cap concerns, with Weeks confirming on Tuesday the NRL’s ethical watchdog will not take action against the Cowboys.

“As any new information becomes available it will be reviewed by the auditors,” he said.

The Cowboys last night offered to comply with any further NRL salary-cap probe should fresh evidence arise.

“The Cowboys have always acted within the rules of the NRL in relation to the salary cap, which is a fundamental component in ensuring parity across the competition’s 16 teams,” the club said.

The revelations were no surprise to the NRL. The Courier-Mail can reveal that in 2013, former NRL salary-cap auditor Ian Schubert first probed Cowboys players for purchasing land from Lancini.

Schubert cleared the Cowboys of any wrongdoing, arguing there is nothing wrong with club officials selling property to players as long as it does not form part of their contract.

Former Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain, who left his post earlier this year, said Lancini was among several people connected to the club who gave players advice on business matters.

Lancini is one of Queensland’s richest men, with the property tycoon’s personal wealth estimated at $162 million.

“I really don’t see the problem with buying property from a property developer,” Jourdain said.

“This was all done above board and the players should be encouraged to get advice from reputable businessmen even if they are connected to the club.”

Builder Martin Locke, who constructed homes for Cowboys stars including Thurston, said his company charged the players market rates.

“I can assure you I didn’t give players freebies or discounts,” said Locke, himself a former Cowboys player.

“I might give a basic discount on things like benchtops, but I offer that to many clients, not just Cowboys players.

“There’s no way in the world Lancini cheated the salary cap.

“We have building contracts in place, they all get lodged and are aboveboard.”

Thurston’s manager Sam Ayoub said: “The game of rugby league needs good honourable and community-minded people like Laurence Lancini.

“It should be noted if anyone wishes to investigate, some of the properties bought by the players are worth less than what they have paid for them.

“That’s a matter of fact and I don’t know what the intent of the story was.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/co...79a468e7ae22958213684f787035b?from=public_rss

Fair point but it's an investment. There's no real difference between that and investing/trading stocks or bitcoin if your Avy. High interest savings accounts are another similar example. Can't see any being included as TPAs.

Yes there is. a difference. If you buy an exchange traded product, you don't know who is on the other side of transaction, and the market value of the underlying security at the time of purchases is very easily observable.

miatch

Juniors
No I think he means Moses has backflipped on us and signed a deal somewhere in the Levant....
Nah, Snake's not that silly. I think he's suggesting he's about to be released to Parra ... but he could just be making it up

eels_fan

First Grade
So the rumour this afternoon is Will Chambers has signed with the Roosters, and Gagai is on his way to Souths