What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Pedge1971

First Grade
Hayne and Graham were hugely responsible for NSW losing that game.

If Hayne passed to BMoz NSW win. If Graham tackles McGuire or doesn't strip Napa NSW most likely win.

They both plodded it up.

But no, let's dedicate a thread to Pearce instead...

Yeah and Qld had Tim Plodsby and Jared Plodace in their pack. How did they get home then?

The point is not that he lost the game it's that he didn't do his job as a halfback and win it when it was there to be won.

Really? It's only the job of the halfback to win a game?! I suppose his 12 other on field team mates just sit around eating pop corn do they? LOL.

I never said Pearce had a great game. I'm just amazed, yet again, the people here pointing at him as the sole reason for the loss, and that is how many people posting since Game 2 are carrying on.

OldPanther

Coach
Really? It's only the job of the halfback to win a game?! I suppose his 12 other on field team mates just sit around eating pop corn do they? LOL.

I never said Pearce had a great game. I'm just amazed, yet again, the people here pointing at him as the sole reason for the loss, and that is how many people posting since Game 2 are carrying on.

He went missing is the point. That's bad from the guy who's suppose to be in control of the team. Promises:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...y/news-story/e3175dbb99b4faed1c3fa1e926e52fcf

MITCHELL Pearce has been handed the NSW game plan, and comes armed with a red, white and blueprint to end the Maroons dominance.

Returning to the sky blue No.7 jumper for the first time since 2013, Pearce will call the shots in each training and video session Laurie Daley puts his side through over the next week.

In recent years he’s refined his game at the feet of Roosters halves coach and Eighth Immortal Andrew Johns.

Along the way Alan Bell, the same halfback whisperer Johns credits with his rise to rugby league, has taken more than a passing interest in the Blues’ most maligned man.
Now Pearce is 28, set to join Johns as his state’s most capped halfback, in charge, and planning an offensive assault grounded in the power game that took the Roosters to premiership glory.
“When I got the call off Loz yesterday he was pretty positive about playing to my strengths and playing to my style at the Roosters,” Pearce said on Tuesday.

“That’s the style I’m comfortable with. I’m looking forward to implementing that.

“It’s my job to take responsibility of the side. It’s my job to run the attack.

“I run my side at the Roosters and call most of the shots there.

“As a rep team we’re obviously playing with a different group of players (but) we’ve got to hit the ground running.
“Queensland are all on the same page and have been on the same page for a long time. I’m looking forward to getting everyone on our page when we start training on Wednesday.”

When Pearce takes to the training paddock in Kingscliff, alongside him will be great mate and 2013 title winning halves partner James Maloney.

Tricolours skipper Boyd Cordner will lead NSW out a week later at Suncorp Stadium, driving a pack “who can play a flat and fast, powerful style”, and putting a bit of Bondi into the Blues for Pearce.
Peats and Chooks No.9 Nathan Friend sat in the same class on dummy-half service, direct and unencumbered, with their halfback well and truly behind the wheel.

Farah attended a different school, by no means inferior, just different, where his skips around the ruck can expose a marker but also cut down his first receiver’s space and time.

He and Pearce have never truly gelled at the highest level, to the point where one Origin camp featured a training power struggle between the pair.

With another Origin loss, much less a series defeat, potentially ending his interstate career, he won’t be drawn on Farah’s influence in the past.

But Daley has now dubbed Pearce master of both his, and the Blues destiny. A role the Roosters linchpin is relishing.

“I think there’s been a lot of different reasons why at times I haven’t played to my potential,” Pearce explains.
“I haven’t played great in different situations, other games I’ve played well. There’s been a lot of different situations (as to) why the team hasn’t played great over the years.

“But this series, to give ourselves our best chance, I think playing to my strengths and our halves strength is going to give ourselves every chance to attack as well as we can.

“It’s my job to take responsibility of the side. Peatsy, everyone knows the style he plays.

“He plays tough and gives good service out of dummy half. I don’t think he’ll be coming up with anything magical in a week, he’ll play that style.

“It’s a style I’m comfortable with and should give us every chance to play good footy against Queensland.”

betcats

Referee

Pearce fans go to excuse when defending him after crappy origin performances. "he wasn't the only reason we lost!" lol.

As I said earlier he was far from our worst but once again he failed to step up and lead the attack like a half back should. Its literally his job to lead and direct our attack, he has had 18 chances or something ridiculous to step up and take control of an origin game and he HAS NOT DONE IT ONCE.

No one is blaming Pearce alone for the loss, but he doesn't do his job. He isn't calm, he doesn't lead, he cant apply pressure the way good halves do, he doesn't have any vision therefore doesn't spot attacking oppurtunities(the guy once grubbered to himself with the most obvious 3 man overlap), he doesn't step up when the game is on the line. He isn't an origin halfback, once again he has had 18 or 19 chances to show us anything at this level and the best he can do is back up in support, he literally offers nothing except above average defence for a half. He is not up to this level, never has been and never will be. When the pressure is on he is either panicking or missing.

At club level he is great, he follows the coaches plans to a T and that works well, at origin you need to offer more than that.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Pearce fans go to excuse when defending him after crappy origin performances. "he wasn't the only reason we lost!" lol.

As I said earlier he was far from our worst but once again he failed to step up and lead the attack like a half back should. Its literally his job to lead and direct our attack, he has had 18 chances or something ridiculous to step up and take control of an origin game and he HAS NOT DONE IT ONCE.

No one is blaming Pearce alone for the loss, but he doesn't do his job. He isn't calm, he doesn't lead, he cant apply pressure the way good halves do, he doesn't have any vision therefore doesn't spot attacking oppurtunities(the guy once grubbered to himself with the most obvious 3 man overlap), he doesn't step up when the game is on the line. He isn't an origin halfback, once again he has had 18 or 19 chances to show us anything at this level and the best he can do is back up in support, he literally offers nothing except above average defence for a half. He is not up to this level, never has been and never will be. When the pressure is on he is either panicking or missing.

At club level he is great, he follows the coaches plans to a T and that works well, at origin you need to offer more than that.

I wonder how many times we can re-word the same argument before they realise what's being said?

What everyone should realise is that fans of Pearce can't see past their glee for the bloke. That's understandable. They are fans of the bloke. So what excuse do you extend to the selectors when they have his Origin record right before them?

Do you really think that QLD would make the same mistake?

So, since they aren't selecting him for his Origin ability, what is the agenda?

OldPanther

Coach
What everyone should realise is that fans of Pearce can't see past their glee for the bloke. That's understandable. They are fans of the bloke. So what excuse do you extend to the selectors when they have his Origin record right before them?

My guess is it has to do with his father and it's a jobs for the boys type of thing.

billygilmore

Juniors

No idea, as a qlder I am continually dumbfounded by his continual selection, this guy, admittedly with help from a few others, has tarnished every single qld series victory he has been apart of.

It's like the the blues want to just keep selecting him until they win with him so they can say " haha, I told you he could lead nsw to victory" never mind the countless series losses that they racked up with him in the team

The blues may very well win this year with the team they have, and rack up 3 or 4 series wins in a row with there youth compared to our age, but if they keep picking pierce I can't really see them winning more than 1 or 2 in a row cause when it's tight, and regardless of the quality between the 2 teams at least 1 or 2 games a series are always tight in origin, you just know piss is gonna come up with the dumbest possible play that can be played at any given time. The best thing the blues can do is f**k him off and only use him if every other quality half they have is busted or suspended..........and even then

Danish

Referee
It's been revealed by Teddy that he injured his ankle while celebrating Pearce's try in game 2.

Yet another thing to blame Shitchell for guys!

OldPanther

Coach
No idea, as a qlder I am continually dumbfounded by his continual selection, this guy, admittedly with help from a few others, has tarnished every single qld series victory he has been apart of.

It's like the the blues want to just keep selecting him until they win with him so they can say " haha, I told you he could lead nsw to victory" never mind the countless series losses that they racked up with him in the team

The blues may very well win this year with the team they have, and rack up 3 or 4 series wins in a row with there youth compared to our age, but if they keep picking pierce I can't really see them winning more than 1 or 2 in a row cause when it's tight, and regardless of the quality between the 2 teams at least 1 or 2 games a series are always tight in origin, you just know piss is gonna come up with the dumbest possible play that can be played at any given time. The best thing the blues can do is f**k him off and only use him if every other quality half they have is busted or suspended..........and even then

Pretty much. We will win because of our forwards and we will get told that "he really has matured" and "told you so." We will than be stuck with him. He is the worst case of nepotism in the game.

God-King Dean

Immortal
The defending of Pearce by a few Rooster fans (I think the majority of them recognise how shit he is at Origin) is bizarre. It's as if because he's a Roosters player, they think it's an attack on their club.

It's really not hard to understand why Pearce is targeted. Yes, other players were shit. The difference is, the other players have contributed something in the past. Maloney creates almost all our tries. On his day, Fifita is the most damaging prop in the game. Hayne has been NSWs best player since 2007, & singlehandedly won them a series.

Pearce? Nothing. Not a f**king thing.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Play for play, Pearce was the worst on field. People saying Cronk was sh*t are forgetting three key things he did better than Pearce.
1. Stand up on 2 feet. How many times do you have to fall over before you realise the ground is slippery? If you play at that level you would think he would have a plan for a slippery field. You would think he would have known it would be slippery. Game preparation alone, he isn't up to this level.
2. Kicking game - the commentary raved about that one kick he did to Gagai. Gagai misread the kick and should have know the kick would move away and been in position. He also nearly or did touch it, and the ball luckily pulls up in the in-goal. Cronk performed better finding some space and kicking close to the line or passing, instead of falling over.
3. Passing - You could see it coming, that critical point in the game where Pearce runs across field in a very disjointed manner, doesn't pass until he sees Hayne some distance away. Pushes a pass right to left about 1 metre ahead of Hayne. Hayne's ball handling wasn't great all night.

Hayne at centre was a disaster. Graham was a disaster. Pearce was disaster. We all knew Pearce and Hayne were unlikely to be successful. Hopefully we fix it before G3. It is difficult to understand why Rooster fans are sticking up so hard for Pearce. If he doesn't play SOO, than he is free to play club. At club level he solid. He just seems to choke up at SOO. He's not a representative half.

How Josh Jackson got MoM still has me beat. 67m gained and people are raving about him... And even tackle wise he was not more than Jake T. Who ran twice as far and had a LBA which was critical. I'm not saying Jake should have been MoM, but he if you were going to go a blue, he was far closer.

The biggest issue for NSW is the so called experts in the commentary box and selector panels. They are all useless. Except maybe A Johns, who at least called a sh*t effort, exactly that.

Tweed Titan

Bench

"He was picked too soo soon he wasn't ready"
"The fans are too critical of him"
"There's 16 other blokes in the team too"
"The team isn't built around his strengths"
"His personal life was holding him back"
"Queensland are unbeatable" :joy:
"It's Farah's fault"
"It's Gallen's fault"

It's never your fault, it's never your fault. Always the victim, it's never your fault!