What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand Alone Rep Round

siv

First Grade
How would you structure the stand alone representative weekend ?

Would you play SOO Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday or Tuesday ?

What other games should play ?

Any other conditions ?

How many rep weekends a year ?

Last Week

Bench
Well, as of next year I believe, Origin two will be on a Sunday night. Here's how I would like to see that go next year.

Friday night - New Zealand vs England
Saturday - Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa.
Sunday night - Origin

Should all three Origins be on stand alone weekends, I struggle to see England being willing to travel down to NZ three times a year. So England vs NZ may work for one match, but that's all.

A round robin series between Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa should be played

Nightward

Juniors
Tonga and Samoa hate each other at least as much as Queensland and NSW. Use the time difference to our advantage and schedule a match before each Origin. Be a big game for the islands, in NZ, and here with the growing Polynesian community. Alternatively, NZ Origin vs Islander Origin, same deal. Either way would strengthen the international game.

Would make way too much sense though.

T-Boon

Coach
I would have the following:
Womens RL State of Origin;
NSW country v QLD Country
Mens touch footy State of origin
womens TF state of origin
Mixed TF state of origin
Nines state of origin picked from reserve grade and retired players
SoO under 18s
SoO under 16s

hutch

First Grade
I would have the following:
Womens RL State of Origin;
NSW country v QLD Country
Mens touch footy State of origin
womens TF state of origin
Mixed TF state of origin
Nines state of origin picked from reserve grade and retired players
SoO under 18s
SoO under 16s
Anything outside of nsw v qld?

BuffaloRules

Coach
AFL will be scheduling the "Battle of the Bridge" ...
Swans v GWS....

I say bring it on and put it against Fiji v Samoa...

We will still take them...

hutch

First Grade
AFL will be scheduling the "Battle of the Bridge" ...
Swans v GWS....

I say bring it on and put it against Fiji v Samoa...

We will still take them...
The biggest myth I keep hearing is we can't have stand alone weekends because afl and other codes will schedules blockbusters 'against' us and they will get some sort of leg up. Gossip journos like paul Kent always spew this nonsense.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
f**k off rep round.

Just f**k it off completely.

It's an utter waste of time and as proven by city country demise you end up making a mockery of the whole rep concept by giving jerseys to people who really haven't earned it, purely so you can screen another game.

State of origin should be a Saturday night game on a standalone weekend.

Piss off the 'bye' the teams can use SOO as breaks instead. teams play 24 games as it is, so just have 24 rounds without byes.

So, in summary, f**k off rep round.

Nightward

Juniors
City/Country went south because it had no bearing on Origin selection and everyone knew it.

If it actually served its intended purpose of sorting out who should be in the NSW squad it would have been a hell of a lot more relevant.

Reactions: siv

Timbo

Staff member
Look, I think the best way to do it is just have SOO as a stand-alone on a Saturday.

If there was a 'rep round', I'd only do it if NSW and Queensland both had City/Country matches, play them as a best of three with one on the Friday and one on the Sunday, and it would be a genuine form guide for the next best group of players not in origin.

mistertaylor

Juniors

Piss off the 'bye' the teams can use SOO as breaks instead. teams play 24 games as it is, so just have 24 rounds without byes.

Nailed it. 24 weeks + 3 standalone weekends for Origin (Saturday nights) = 27 weeks plus finals series. Which is the same length as current season. Pretty sure the broadcasters don't lose out on the total number of fixtures played either.

While the season is 'on hiatus' during Origin, all clubs should be running junior development clinics, fan days, etc. in both traditional and non traditional RL areas to expand and consolidate the sports' geographic footprint across Aus/NZ/Pacific

hutch

First Grade
f**k off rep round.

Just f**k it off completely.

It's an utter waste of time and as proven by city country demise you end up making a mockery of the whole rep concept by giving jerseys to people who really haven't earned it, purely so you can screen another game.

So, in summary, f**k off rep round.

Why can't other countries also play rep games on the stand alone weekend?

adamkungl

Immortal
Why can't other countries also play rep games on the stand alone weekend?

Rugby League isn't played outside of NSW and QLD.

Those ring-in losers from NZ and England and the islands should just do volunteer charity work or something while the important and superior NSW and QLD athletes get their well deserved $30k per game.

siv

First Grade
Been thinking about this further

18 teams = 25 rounds

That leaves 2 representative rounds

Prefer these to be played like a fortnight - SOO II and III

This could allows for a short 4 team 3 match round robin Pacific Cup series

We could play SOO I on a Tuesday night 4 weeks prior.

But NO Thursday night football immediately after

Having a fortnight allows for a mini in season tours like England to NZ

Plenty of opportunities to have other events in the fortnight

adamkungl

Immortal
3 Rep rounds

State of Origin Super Saturday would be the showcase event.
Potential for 3 curtain raiser events all televised - Womens, Juniors and Residents.

Sunday afternoon - Pacific Cup double header. 4 teams, 6 games over 3 weeks.
Final to be played post-GF international season.

NZ is the tricky one. With Rep rounds spaced 2-3 weeks apart an incoming or outgoing tour is not possible. With this limitation in place, I'd invite 3 NH international teams to visit for 3 test matches filling the Friday night slot - potentially England, France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, USA, Canada, Lebanon.

T-Boon

Coach
Anything outside of nsw v qld?

When there are international rep rounds on I would schedule all sorts of international matches. But I wouldn't play any international games during Origin week. Nobody is thinking internationals at that time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Representative Weekends

Friday night
Eng v NZ week 1
NZ v Aus womens week 2
????? week 3

Saturdays
3pm Developing State Origin WA v Vic as a warm up game on a Saturday afternoon
5pm NSW cup v Qland Cup Origin warm up game Saturday late afternoon
Origin 8pm Saturday night (so fans can travel interstate to see it)

Sundays
Island of Origin Cup featuring
Tonga, Samoa, Png,Fiji playing each other each weekend

WaznTheGreat

Referee
State of Origin should pay per view like boxing,peasants don't deserve to watch the best of the best battle it out

I reckon $59 is a fair price

siv

First Grade
3 Rep rounds

State of Origin Super Saturday would be the showcase event.
Potential for 3 curtain raiser events all televised - Womens, Juniors and Residents.

Sunday afternoon - Pacific Cup double header. 4 teams, 6 games over 3 weeks.
Final to be played post-GF international season.

NZ is the tricky one. With Rep rounds spaced 2-3 weeks apart an incoming or outgoing tour is not possible. With this limitation in place, I'd invite 3 NH international teams to visit for 3 test matches filling the Friday night slot - potentially England, France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, USA, Canada, Lebanon.

Maybe you could have NZ play the 3 best Pacific nations in a Pacific

Eg Samoa Fiji PNG

And let Pacific nations qualify in a 6 nation Pacific Shield at the end of the season

Latest posts