What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelpout

Juniors
I didn't say anything about Woods. Earlier in the week I did say that they have massive salary cap pressure and that many contracted players have been told that they are free to look elsewhere including the Morris brothers.

In saying that we should look at signing Brett Morris as a replacement for Semi.

Morris is well past his peak and is only going to decline. I'd much prefer Semi to be replaced internally for next year with another powerful winger. Whether Leleisiuao is ready or if Davis/ Gennings were to step up.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
NRL is not marketed correctly.
Games are not marketed enough.
Ch9 and Fox market their coverage better than the clubs market the games.
They need to get players making comments about the team they are up against, create a bit of spite.
Bit like the WWE performers do.
If Normy rings up Hoppa this week and says "Mate I'm going to say stuff in the media this week about you to help promote the game, I'll say you can't catch a cold let alone a bomb and we will target you. so hoppa you respond back but saying I'm a weak link in the defence and you'll run your kick returns back at me etc, have a bit fun and get a big crowd to play in front of."

Bit of banter, gives the paper something to write about the game, the home team makes a little video ad around it and flog it on facebook, instagram etc and offer a discount code at the end of the ad to save 25% on tickets. A normal Thursday night game you might get 14k do a bit of promoting you might get 20-25k.
It's not rocket science but as it has been stated before the clubs spend what should be the marketing budget in the football dept instead and blame the NRL because crowds are down.
I'm sure that's what Paul Gallen used to do around origin time.

lingard

Coach
Rugby league has always been a small sport on the world scale, played in a few select areas.

That's how it has been for a long time and I can't see this changing. It will never die, it will just continue to be something that not a lot of people care about.

I think also, that rugby league has always been a 'working class' game. played and watched by (predominantly) people from the lower socio-economic end of things. but it seems to me (could be wrong) that the middle-class is far bigger than it was thirty or so years ago. The whole world is now geared toward the middle and upper classes. Unfortunately, if rugby league doesn't turn itself (in a believable way) into a middle class game, it will die out. It has been trying to re-invent itself by sanitising the game and getting women more involved; but I think it's still firmly perceived as a working man's past-time. I don't mind that at all. I come from working class stock. I love it.

lingard

Coach
paradoxically, the things that the NRL have done to attempt to give rugby league wider appeal in the community, are the very things that are making it less interesting for me.

paradoxically, the things that the NRL have done to attempt to give rugby league wider appeal in the community, are the very things that are making it less interesting for me.
Same but knowing what we now do about the serious long-term effects of repeated concussions for one thing, I dunno how much I'd enjoy it if things didn't change.

lingard

Coach
Introduction of the differential penalty not up your street, Ivor?

I preferred it when scrums were scrums; play the ball's were contests; there was less structure and formula; we didn't have boutique stadiums - we stood on the grass; we smoked at games; we yelled out "you f**king blind merkin ref, they've been doin' it all day!"; and, of course, we had inside centres and five-eights. I know part of it is just nostalgia - but I think that some of it is a class thing. I'm fairly well-educated, but I come from a real working class background - and I think the game has gradually drifted away from that. Away from its roots. I know it had to. But I preferred it the way it was.

I preferred it when scrums were scrums; play the ball's were contests; there was less structure and formula; we didn't have boutique stadiums - we stood on the grass; we smoked at games; we yelled out "you f**king blind merkin ref, they've been doin' it all day!"; and, of course, we had inside centres and five-eights. I know part of it is just nostalgia - but I think that some of it is a class thing. I'm fairly well-educated, but I come from a real working class background - and I think the game has gradually drifted away from that. Away from its roots. I know it had to. But I preferred it the way it was.

Yeh, I'm sort of similar, though probably half a generation further away from the real rough and tumble background. My mum's side of the family did it very tough for most of the 20th century. I didn't, but I do remember my mum crying when I kept pestering her to buy a bag of chips for me and she couldn't afford it.

phantom eel

First Grade
Even when he doesn't post you still mention him....and if you aren't mentioning him you mention something associated with him (Wanderers).

What's wrong with responding to Ram's post by drawing similarities with the closest example to his argument that we've seen on the forums?

It's not all about Suity for me - that example could have been anyone if they had trod a silimar path to Ram.

But Suity's clearly got some people jumping at shadows on his behalf too, while he pops out to take personal pot shots whenever he pleases (even if he fails to land any).

I'm having fun, because I never let this place get to me or pretend it's real life. I'd suggest anyone who gets upset at what someone else posts just take a bex and do the same....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think also, that rugby league has always been a 'working class' game. played and watched by (predominantly) people from the lower socio-economic end of things. but it seems to me (could be wrong) that the middle-class is far bigger than it was thirty or so years ago. The whole world is now geared toward the middle and upper classes. Unfortunately, if rugby league doesn't turn itself (in a believable way) into a middle class game, it will die out. It has been trying to re-invent itself by sanitising the game and getting women more involved; but I think it's still firmly perceived as a working man's past-time. I don't mind that at all. I come from working class stock. I love it.
It's more that people believe that to get ahead takes more than hard work - you need to identify as middle class, and display middle class culture. Part of that is denigrating the working class (even if that's where you're from) and thus working class hobbies like rugby league.

I don't like that as many as 11 are over. That is definitely in amnesty territory, which is the real worry.

The NRL have largely created the problem through their useless forward planning. If that's what happens it'll be the clubs that are compliant ( of which im 100% sure were one) are the ones that will be severley f**ked over.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeh, I'm sort of similar, though probably half a generation further away from the real rough and tumble background. My mum's side of the family did it very tough for most of the 20th century. I didn't, but I do remember my mum crying when I kept pestering her to buy a bag of chips for me and she couldn't afford it.
I did it pretty tough as a kid, so now I spoil my own. My wife, on the other hand, is firmly middle class and she is pretty tight with money. She pretty much taught me that you don't have to spend money just because you have it.