What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian pre game hukka And opening ceremony

hutch

First Grade
I thought they were doing something similar to te indigenous all stars which would have been good. Even if the non indigenous just clapped on the indigenous boys whilst they danced would have been good.
It was hard to watch, embarrassing really.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The "Corroboree" was a general piss take on the Haka. I doubt if it was ever serious and these days sounds appallingly racist.

It was initially done by the Wallabies from 1908 onwards but i don't know when it stopped in RU. The 1908 Captain Paddy Moran would pointedly leave the field when it was done..."we have taken everything from these wretched people and now we take their dignity"

I didn't see the opening ceremony - please tell me they did not try to do the Corroboree.

No mate. There was no dance. But it was f**king embarrasing and a bad idea. Hopefully never again.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Casey Donovan had a shocker. She failed to effectively lip-sync her lines in the recorded music sections. What a disgrace. Plus she is shockingly fat, which is no example for our youth to emulate.

Arthur Beetson was shockingly fat but he is a roosters great no?

Guys I honestly couldn't stop laughing at the part where they say "and we will all rise as one"..and they stand up. It was like something out of an 80's cartoon. Pure cheese. I had to pause the telecast and laugh for a good 5+ minutes before continuing. I haven't laughed that uncontrollably for so long. My Mrs thought I was losing it. Then when I watched the rest of it, I just felt embarrassed for them. Did anyone else notice that JT messed up his lines? At the part where he goes "we will be selfless"...you can hear him whisper "F*CK"...and then launches into "with the chevron on our chests....we will be selfless in victory" (and they all grab their chests lol). He definitely didn't intend to say we will be selfless twice. And so you're guaranteeing a victory?

We will strive for excellence! LMAO. And then "we are the Kangaroos!" to end it lol. I heard the Wiggles helped the Roos come up with the words and actions lol.

And what's up with mentioning "our traditional owners"?...Are you guys slaves now?

And lastly LOL @ the aboriginie Slash. He was good on the didgeridoo and covered for JT's monumental f*ck up though.

Last edited:
JT dropping the F bomb when he forgot his lines was easily the highlight.

Sorry just read the thread in full and saw your post. I'm surprised more people didn't notice. He just embarrassed himself.

Casey Donovan I fast forwarded through as I didn't watch the game live. But yeah, she's still obese.

siv

First Grade
As I said it lacked a finish

Watch the old Kangaroo hakka it was a cringe

But I would have finished it off differently

Rather than players locking arms when in V Formation

A simple jump in the air old style, then go down on one knee pointing to the opposition with one arm - with the body language

We are the Kangaroos - we are coming to get you

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Honestly I feel like they forgot a World Cup needs an opening ceremony. They were probably watching a Coles ad and just said "get her" then bought some big flags and voila.

RoosTah

Juniors
It was cringe worthy. Just embarrassing.

I get this whole 'RISE' thing is a team building philosophy, but keep it in the team. Doing a synchronised swimming thing like that is just embarrassing.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was embarrassing, but it did feel lame and kinda half arsed to be honest... It ended up just being a kind of more elaborate welcome to country, and I was expecting a haka like thing.

That said, part of me is kinda glad... I’m honestly over the Haka at this point and watching us try to ape it 100 years late would have felt a bit off (and yes, I know that in the early tours the Wallabies and Kangaroos did some BS aboriginal war dance they made up when on tour, and that the players were embarrassed by it).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I blame the Australian cultural cringe. We just not good at shit like this, we are too self-aware...

Better to have a group come on to perform a wardance (or something) and have the players stand stoically behind them with a few small gestures.

Anyone have the Youtube video. I only got to see the short replay on nospam09.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was embarrassing, but it did feel lame and kinda half arsed to be honest... It ended up just being a kind of more elaborate welcome to country, and I was expecting a haka like thing.

That said, part of me is kinda glad... I’m honestly over the Haka at this point and watching us try to ape it 100 years late would have felt a bit off (and yes, I know that in the early tours the Wallabies and Kangaroos did some BS aboriginal war dance they made up when on tour, and that the players were embarrassed by it).

Australian culture is too separate from Indigenous culture. If we try to take on an indigenous war dance to represent all of Australia, it would just be a shitty cultural appropriation (as bad as the VFL calling themseves the Indigenous games *vomit*)...

Until middle Australia is able to reconsile the Fronteer Wars and British conquest of Australia, i dont think anyone will be comfortable with something like that.

------

Note on my little political rant: Im not complaining Australia was colonised (whether it was the British or anyone else, it was inevitable) so no one needs to get their panties in a knot. What annoys me is that we pretend it never happened. THAT is what makes the blending of Indigenous culture and the migrant cultures so awkward...

As I said it lacked a finish

Watch the old Kangaroo hakka it was a cringe

But I would have finished it off differently

Rather than players locking arms when in V Formation

A simple jump in the air old style, then go down on one knee pointing to the opposition with one arm - with the body language

We are the Kangaroos - we are coming to get you

Sorry but LMFAO.

As a proud Australian I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I watched it, laughed then laughed some more but I've waited until I saw the Samoans, Tongans, Fijians and Kiwis did their pre-match war cries before I commented.

It was absolutely the funniest thing I've ever seen on a football field, ever. For all the wrong reasons.

Whomever thought it up is a f**king genius and anyone who thought it was a good idea is more geniused than the aforementioned genius. Seriously, Smith, Thurston, retire now because there is nothing you can do in the game that will make me stop thinking of Friday the 27th of October 2017 whenever you're involved in a game. Nothing.

Score 5 tries in a game? Sure but remember that stupid f**king thing you did at the World Cup 2017?

You're the latest immortal? Good for you but remember that stupid f**king thing you did at the World Cup 2017?

Especially Smith, cannot take one iota of criticism, insta-blocks anything negative. Safe-space needing pansy. The funniest thing about it that he was serious. LOL

Basil

Juniors
Australian culture is too separate from Indigenous culture. If we try to take on an indigenous war dance to represent all of Australia, it would just be a shitty cultural appropriation (as bad as the VFL calling themseves the Indigenous games *vomit*)...

Until middle Australia is able to reconsile the Fronteer Wars and British conquest of Australia, i dont think anyone will be comfortable with something like that.

------

Note on my little political rant: Im not complaining Australia was colonised (whether it was the British or anyone else, it was inevitable) so no one needs to get their panties in a knot. What annoys me is that we pretend it never happened. THAT is what makes the blending of Indigenous culture and the migrant cultures so awkward...

... pretend it never happened? Who pretends that? Name names? Seems to me nowadays the fact that it happened is relentlessly shoved in the face of the average ocker by the regressive left, so I really don't know what you are talking about. But it is interesting to note how many ocker whiteys, who would no doubt otherwise count themselves as progressives, so readily mocked it. I wonder why? Is it that they view the ozzie league team as a symbol of white suppression, and therefore any black players as race traitors?