What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian pre game hukka And opening ceremony

It's not really a welcome to country. A welcome to country is spoken by an Aboriginal elder from the local tribe. The video thing at the start from the Aboriginal woman was a welcome to country. What the roos did wasn't even really an acknowledgement of country in the usual sense.

Pommy

Coach
It's not really a welcome to country. A welcome to country is spoken by an Aboriginal elder from the local tribe. The video thing at the start from the Aboriginal woman was a welcome to country. What the roos did wasn't even really an acknowledgement of country in the usual sense.

I thought that what JT called it when he was being interviewed by 7 beforehand.

DIOGENES

Juniors
The "Corroboree" was a general piss take on the Haka. I doubt if it was ever serious and these days sounds appallingly racist.

It was initially done by the Wallabies from 1908 onwards but i don't know when it stopped in RU. The 1908 Captain Paddy Moran would pointedly leave the field when it was done..."we have taken everything from these wretched people and now we take their dignity"

I didn't see the opening ceremony - please tell me they did not try to do the Corroboree.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The whole thing felt so budget.

I know they want to make a profit and all that, but would it really have cost that much to have culturally relevant performances for each nation.

Surely it wouldn't have been more expensive than someone singing 80's/90's covers for what felt like 2 hours.

DIOGENES

Juniors
As Eddie Waring said "all this malarkey and no-one knows what it's about but I suppose it looks good"

DIOGENES

Juniors
I missed Eddie's last bit (not hard given the idiosyncrasies of his English) but was it "this is something that Ned Kelly would do"

RedVee

First Grade
I thought that what JT called it when he was being interviewed by 7 beforehand.
Not sure about that but the voice over when they were on the field called it ‘a welcome to Country’, which is different I guess.
In that context, fair enough. I guess then it should only be rolled out before the first game of a home RLWC or Test Series.
If that is do I’m willing to see how it evolves.

I am sure that at one stage (during the flag bit) they said France was only one of four winners of the RLWC !
Yes they did. If they're going to get it wrong at least it sounds good. Maybe they meant one of four to make the final. Although GB and England have both done so, which makes it five really.

playdaball

Bench
Will there be pre match entertainment at PNG and NZ tonight?

I think the Patea Maori Club are performing at Mt. Smart - NZ'ers know who they are.

Casey Donovan had a shocker. She failed to effectively lip-sync her lines in the recorded music sections. What a disgrace. Plus she is shockingly fat, which is no example for our youth to emulate.

Latest posts