What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Historically McGregor and price worst ever dragons coaches can't think of any one else that was worse besides maybe Andrew farrar but unlike McGregor and price who have been given so many chances farrar was sacked after just one year

71SS, You speak many wise words of wisdom.
Obviously , being a Dragons supporter, you are a highly educated professional at the top of your game so l ask you consider Farrar as being equally lacking of any coaching qualities as the Chinless One and Moonraker.

grouch

First Grade
Another load of codswallop from McGregor.
Interpreting and rationalizing his failure as a coach.
The reality is that he had training wheels on in 2016 and was out of his depth.
Taking "full responsibility" for 2016 when we are about to start 2018 is a bit too late in my view.
In 2017 he continues to harp on about "coming 3rd at the half way mark" and the 6-1 start to the season which is just a deflection of a poorly managed 2017 culminating in heartbreak and embarrassment.
Finally, there were a number of games in isolation that were a total disgrace and embarrassment.
In 2016 we also had to endure such games.
First half against Newcastle in the first round when Newcastle ran in 28 points by half time and we were booed off the field at Kogarah. In the end we were fortunate to escape what would have been the ultimate disgrace.
Having said that, Newcastle did a number on us the second time round showing that we hadn't learnt anything from the first round debacle..
Losing the unlosable to Souths and of course the game against Canterbury.
While I hope that Graham and Hunt do bring some stability and ability to close out games, it does not alleviate McGregor's responsibility as coach.
I find it very scary that he is placing so much emphasis and the arrival of Hunt and Graham in his attempt to salvage his coaching career.
We needed a different coach after Price which may have provided a much better management of the coaching function - from team selection, team tactics, developing juniors and so on.
Instead we appointed an unqualified coach whose main claim to fame were a couple of bush premierships and a couple unremarkable years coaching reserve grade.
Opposition teams sense they have a chance against us no matter what the score is.
Opposition coaches continuously outmanoeuvre and outcoach McGregor.
2018 will be no different we just have a better roster than 2017 - on paper.
2018 will be another roller coaster ride of ups and downs which I hope will not end up in more disappointment and heartache.
Mainstream media outlets would find it hard to publish this guff.
Illawarra Mercury obviously has nothing better to write about.
Top post

71saintsimon

Juniors
71SS, You speak many wise words of wisdom.
Obviously , being a Dragons supporter, you are a highly educated professional at the top of your game so l ask you consider Farrar as being equally lacking of any coaching qualities as the Chinless One and Moonraker.
You are very correct and totally agree with u , my argument is why have they not dealt with McGregor the same way they dealt with farrar? We are getting onto 5 yrs of this toataly clueless coach it stil baffles me how he was retained after the rubbish dished out in 2016 it baffles me more why he was resigned in 2017 before waiting to see how the year finishes , its so unbelievable this team only managed something like 4 unconvincing wins after the rd 8 Anzac Day game and against weak opposition , he put up with mcrone all the way through instead of giving jai field a go no thought process to blood the young kids in and yet no thought to remove this imposter from the coaching job how on earth is Michael Maguire and des Hasler out of work two premiership winners meanwhile us long suffering dragons fans have to put with that clueless bold head for a coach

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The way the club is currently structured .no self respecting coach , would accept it .so It seems it's MARY or nobody .if they want a decent coach too many people are out of a job .that's my read on it

ViceVersa

Juniors
OK, here we go!... I'll be one of the very few that defends Mary right here. Not saying he should be our coach for the next 10 years but people need to get a grip.

Firstly, basing most of your opinions of him from what he did prior to 2017 is invalid IMO. After the post 2016 internal review the game structure changed to a 'power game/play what's infront of you' and no one can deny there was massive improvement. Understand that as there was less structure, a lot of crucial plays were spontanious/sideways movement because no one knew what they were doing next. We lost 6 games by 6 points or less, if we won most of those we would have been top 4. All we needed was a quality halfback to direct/game manage to close out games and take pressure off Widdop.

People think that the next season will be the same old or worse, without any improvement. At least he's addressed what went wrong last year, and it's hard to think we won't improve at all with who we've signed.

I will say, he needs to drop players not performing, show more faith in young guns, better bench rotation, and have them mentally prepared for 80 MINUTES. If there is not improvement in these then I don't blame you for throwing more tantrums in 2018.

Lastly, right now I would not take outdated Madge or hassler where attack is heavily structured, outdated, one-dimentional boring predictable sweep/block plays. I'd rather Have free-flowing entertaining attack like we have now, and wait and see if we improve again in 2018. He's not going anywhere for the next 2 years.

I thought I'd live'n up this forum from the 'rocking-chair critics' and show a different point of view. ("Bracing for impact")

ViceVersa

Juniors
Maguire and Hasler have both won premierships - plural. McGregor has won squat.

And the recruitment you are praising here was not done by McGregor

He sucks. Hard

Sack him

That's my point, outdated coaching style. The game has passed them, adjust to the current times, or stay a has-been.

ViceVersa

Juniors
"Anyone" is better than mcgegor = WRONG
Belamy, Bennett etc is better than mcgregor = YES
Will it happen - NO
Would we still be thowing tantrums if we won 3 of the 6 close games last year? NO
Will Hunt/Graham help improve this? "Umm... sack mary?"

Gareth67

First Grade
Well gentleman , what can I say ? ? You have said all for me ! Some rather vivid descriptions which even a blind man could see - " a empty coke can , with the ring pull missing " wonderful . Of course we then have " a rocking horse turd " simply outstanding .
And not to be outdone we have Drag Queens contribution " a Condon with a million holes " , each more then deserving of a literary award of excellence !

Now , how about we start talking about the real problem , McGregor . . .

BennyV

Referee
OK, here we go!... I'll be one of the very few that defends Mary right here. Not saying he should be our coach for the next 10 years but people need to get a grip.

Firstly, basing most of your opinions of him from what he did prior to 2017 is invalid IMO. After the post 2016 internal review the game structure changed to a 'power game/play what's infront of you' and no one can deny there was massive improvement. Understand that as there was less structure, a lot of crucial plays were spontanious/sideways movement because no one knew what they were doing next. We lost 6 games by 6 points or less, if we won most of those we would have been top 4. All we needed was a quality halfback to direct/game manage to close out games and take pressure off Widdop.

People think that the next season will be the same old or worse, without any improvement. At least he's addressed what went wrong last year, and it's hard to think we won't improve at all with who we've signed.

I will say, he needs to drop players not performing, show more faith in young guns, better bench rotation, and have them mentally prepared for 80 MINUTES. If there is not improvement in these then I don't blame you for throwing more tantrums in 2018.

Lastly, right now I would not take outdated Madge or hassler where attack is heavily structured, outdated, one-dimentional boring predictable sweep/block plays. I'd rather Have free-flowing entertaining attack like we have now, and wait and see if we improve again in 2018. He's not going anywhere for the next 2 years.

I thought I'd live'n up this forum from the 'rocking-chair critics' and show a different point of view. ("Bracing for impact")
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Let me get this straight; the basis of your 'Mary's not that bad' point of view is that after a horrible 2016 where it was proven that he is a terrible coach, his whole coaching philosophy was thrown out the window and the players listened to him less and THEN became better?!

71saintsimon

Juniors
Maguire and Hasler have both won premierships - plural. McGregor has won squat.

And the recruitment you are praising here was not done by McGregor

He sucks. Hard

Sack him
If des Hasler was dragons coach right now with the current team assembled and in a very open competition the dragons wil be enroute to a grand final appearance but not with the turd currently called coach

Latest posts