What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap

t-ba

Post Whore
Pretty lenient for such an apparently lengthy and systematic breach of the cap. Smells a bit of a negotiated outcome. Methinks somebody has something compromising on someone else and that's why the penalty essentially amounts to a $330k Salary cap reduction. All a bit fishy.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bozo not being an Australian selector is one of the best things to happen to our game in decades.
This has made my decade

MYxxk.gif

A B O U T F A R G I N T I M E

Perth Red

Post Whore
Welcome to the club Manly!

No points deduction, what a cop out by the NRL! I'm sure the new massive grant increase will comfortably cover the fine. In effect NRL is paying itself the fine with its own money. Good work Todd!

Time for players and managers to be held accountable me thinks. You cant be accepting off the books payments and not realise its a rort lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Welcome to the club Manly!

No points deduction, what a cop out by the NRL! I'm sure the new massive grant increase will comfortably cover the fine. In effect NRL is paying itself the fine with its own money. Good work Todd!

Time for players and managers to be held accountable me thinks. You cant be accepting off the books payments and not realise its a rort lol
This is very true, NRL pay itself, whack Manly with a wet lettuce leaf..
But did you hear Fulton can get farged, happy days.

ro0WwPj.gif

JamesRustle

First Grade
"Fulton quit his role as general manager of the Sea Eagles one month into the investigation.

He was not interviewed by the integrity unit.

As he is not a registered official, the NRL was powerless to hand down a penalty."

Fulton taking a play out of the Broncos/Gee playbook... smart!

Generalzod

Immortal
So in 2016 Greenberg fines Parramatta and also deducts competition points, manly does the same thing and only a fine for doing the same thing.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Some sort of pattern with Roosters recruitment of senior management...

2007/08
Nick: "Storm have assembled a great roster... get that Peter O'Sullivan on the line, I've got an offer he can't refuse."

2016/17:
Nick: "Bloody Manly have had a good run. Who's their CEO? Yep, get that Joe Kelly on the line, I've got an offer he can't refuse."

2018:
Who ya gonna call Nick?

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Every club needs to be aware that any attempt to cheat the salary cap will eventually be detected and the club involved will be heavily sanctioned."

Eventually being the key word in this statement! 5 years they've been at it and like most of these cases only got found out due to a whistle blower. NRL does a good job when told somethings amiss but geez their ability to actually figure it out on their own is still massively lacking.

Now where's all those people who said that Manly were being hard done to, witch hunt etc and that NRL shouldn't be allowed to cease and examine computers and phones?

As long as the players have declared everything they are paid, even if outside the cap, the ATO wouldn't give a f**k.

And the NRL don't have access to players tax records to do anything about it.

I get the feeling that the players involved weren't exactly declaring the additional income. From the sounds of things, some brown paper bags were exchanged in car parking lots...

moffla

Bench
A little bit curious as to why there was no on field punishment, as has been case for any major cap breach.

Diesel

Referee
Funny how yet again, it was a third party that tipped the NRL into what was going on.

If the police hadn't have been investigating Manly for other reasons and found out about these extra payments, the NRL would never have known. We really need a better system because it's clear that the NRL can't police the system they have without external help or a disgruntled employee tipping them into something being wrong.

Would be funny now if the tax department decided to weigh in and hit some of these players with an audit and bill them for unpaid taxes...
The NRL are a joke when it comes to uncovering caps, they rely on third parties, NFI what the NRL auditors do when there’s nothing to audit

Latest posts