What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
The article I read said the Cows want to keep him but won't pay 'crazy' money to do so. I'm not really sold on Hess either.

PhilGould

Bench
Esan Marsters worth throwing some money at
He's off contract and has had a great start to the year. We were one of a few clubs chasing him before he'd played first grade so Brown & Mooney are obviously fans. I reckon we will make a play at him.

macavity

Referee
We should be having a look at Shannon Boyd.

He hasn't started the year well but Canberra is toxic no one could play well there at present.

Country boy so we are probably one of the only clubs he would seriously consider.

Huge guy and very physical, played for Oz for a reason - exactly what we are looking for.

We land him and TPJ and its an amazing recruitment drive. He is probably more likely.

Glendale

Juniors
Fox sports article this morning mentions Michael Jennings is off contract. Obviously he's not going to be a mid season buy but its pretty much a no-brainer chasing him for next year I'd think. Ramien is coming but Tautau is gonna have a long recovery and we easily have the cash for a quality experienced centre like him plus I think his value will drop a bit due to age.

Old dog

Juniors
The stumbling block for getting Jennings is two year option and how much Parra will pay, think he would stay for less if it's close so might cost but he is the type we need, experienced and still quite nifty, am sure he has two good years in him.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Would anyone be keen on getting Josh Morris for next year? It's been rumoured that the dogs were shopping the Morris boys around at one point and that apparently they're unlikely to be re-signed next year.

At worst we'd be getting a good defensive centre which we desperately need.

Old dog

Juniors
Would anyone be keen on getting Josh Morris for next year? It's been rumoured that the dogs were shopping the Morris boys around at one point and that apparently they're unlikely to be re-signed next year.

Probably have to take both but Josh is better than what we have and even if just one year, prefer Jennings though.

Still Nutty

Juniors

I've always been a Josh Morris fan and was keen to see us chase him this year. I think he could still be of value to us at the right price - he will be 32 going on 33 next year so I wouldn't want to be forking out big coin and that would probably be the stumbling block for us.

He would have to move for a relatively short term contract 1-2 years max (with an option in our favour) for not huge money and if that was the case, I'd think he would either find something in Sydney for comparable $$$ or try his luck for a bigger pay day to see out his career in the ESL for maybe 3 years.

On that basis, I don't see him being a realistic prospect...but I would be OK if he did end up here

Still Nutty

Juniors
Apart from the premise of Macs post above (and I agree with the idea of a Shannon Boyd type) are we significantly at risk of being a couple of table places down on what people thought we might achieve this year, on potential, with the season ending injury to Moga?

I'm not in doom and gloom mode but I think the centres was the one area we couldn't afford to have a major loss. With Moga out for the year, probably the best up an comer in Meaney out for a period and Pythian's implosion taking away another option for us, our first grade quality ranks are very low. Without Brown and Mooney picking up some suitable, at least journeyman type centre, I think we are likely to be affected in our overall position on the ladder by the end of the season.

We might fashion a suitable backline that can hold it's own out of SKD, Ross plus some of the younger players coming through as fill in options but I think without Moga, we might be 1 or 2 games further off the pace than I envisaged us being come round 26 which takes us further out of calculations for being in the mix for the 8 this year - what do others think?

Spot On

Coach
We won't be down a few spots due to losing Moga, well struggle due to the pack failing to get over the top of the opposition. I'm really concerned that our 36 yr old, one season signing bench player shows more aggression and physicality with and without the ball than our 6 foot 5, 120kg young gargantuans do. If they can't get their shit together this week at home then you have to wonder when they ever will.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Sure the backline losses as said above will cost us a bit but it really has come down to what we thought was our strongest area, prop, that is our undoing, sure the rest of the pack may have lacked a bit but our big boys, excluding Esee, have failed to fire both attack and defence and if your front row isn't winning it then you are in trouble.

Noname36

First Grade

As Warren Ryan once said, he's "not a centre's arsehole"

But we're seriously lacking options - so maybe yes as long as he wasn't on marquee money (which he'd want) because there's no point in signing backs if we don't have any money for forwards to allow them space.

Spot On

Coach
How much would you pay for Pangai cutie pie?

If he was to play like he has for Brisbane at the end of last year and the first few games this year - then heaps.

I'd also take Boyd as Mac has suggested but he must trim down to get more minutes out of him. Profile says he 122 kg. I call bullshit. Get him down to under 120 kgs and get more minutes and hit ups out of him.

Noname36

First Grade
Yeah Boyd is out of shape but so are all of the Raiders. I reckon a change of scenery would do him good.

It's only a matter of time before Tapine is the side of a house too.