What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

ouryears

Bench
Spot on.

He wasn’t sacked due to non performance, but due to breaches in his contract by enticing staff to join him at the Dogs in 2013.

I’m no Mary fan, but the only way he gets sacked is if we don’t make the 8 from this point which is now looking unlikely.

The Mary pitchfork brigade might have to wait another year or two.
If the club sets the standard as making the Top 8, or around 55% win record, it confirms how we have fallen to the mediocre level we have under Price and McGregor.

Minimum should be top 4 and deep into the finals, though I think it should be top 2.....The GF!

After all, Mary himself SAID he has the team he wanted and needed!

ouryears

Bench
Hardly exciting scraping in by a penalty goal to Beat a bottom placed side had we played a heavy weight side we would of been blown away again similar to the Penrith debacle this is really it no excuses for McGregor he had a bye and four players backing up from origin had a 5 day turn around going into the second half of the year injury free if the wobbles continue and we mis the play offs or we fall into the play offs and get bundled out first week McGregor should be sent packing his had 5 yrs enough of the crap time for a real coach to take over
Yes 100%

ouryears

Bench
I hear Hasler’s available as well and he can fill 2 roles as coach and recruitment boss.

Why don’t we kill 2 birds with one stone and sack Mary and Millward and let Hasler take us into the future like he did at the Dogs?

While we’re at it why don’t we get Raelene Castle to replace Doust seeing we need a new CEO?

Come on we’re a rabble aren’t we? Forget we’re leading FG and ISP mid season and our cap is in the best state in years, let’s clean the joint out.
Once all ISP clubs play the same number of games, we are 4th, not 1st.

The club spent more than $1M on Hunt and Graham, Mary continues to stuff up the bench, he continues to ignore giving some young guns a go....let's wait till September, if he is successful, great.

If we fade, sack him.

Pretty simple.

giboz71

First Grade
Once all ISP clubs play the same number of games, we are 4th, not 1st.

The club spent more than $1M on Hunt and Graham, Mary continues to stuff up the bench, he continues to ignore giving some young guns a go....let's wait till September, if he is successful, great.

If we fade, sack him.

Pretty simple.

I agree to an extent. If we somehow fail to make the 8 from this point forward with the FG squad and ISP squad both in good shape, we probably need to go in another direction with our coaching staff.

My point is, there is plenty of doom and gloom right now when there really shouldn’t be. Most had us finishing outside the 8 for this year, yet we are first at the start of Round 15. Our rooster is in great shape and we have cap space and spot yet to fill for next year.

Compared to say 3-4 years ago, we are in great shape. I have no problem getting rid of Mary if he’s not the guy to take us forward. How we finish this year will largely dtetermine this so we all need to wait and see.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
I agree to an extent. If we somehow fail to make the 8 from this point forward with the FG squad and ISP squad both in good shape, we probably need to go in another direction with our coaching staff.

My point is, there is plenty of doom and gloom right now when there really shouldn’t be. Most had us finishing outside the 8 for this year, yet we are first at the start of Round 15. Our rooster is in great shape and we have cap space and spot yet to fill for next year.

Compared to say 3-4 years ago, we are in great shape. I have no problem getting rid of Mary if he’s not the guy to take us forward. How we finish this year will largely dtetermine this so we all need o wait and see.
Good points and post mate. Very logical and well said.

By the way I thought all clubs had to spend their cap by June 30th each year, but we still have 700k?

Compared to say 3-4 years ago, we are in great shape. I have no problem getting rid of Mary if he’s not the guy to take us forward. How we finish this year will largely dtetermine this so we all need o wait and see.
You make some valid observations regarding the roster - certainly one of the best rosters since we won the GF in 2010.
I also love your "probably need to go in another direction with our coaching staff..."
I applaud your diplomatic approach but the truth is we need major surgery as far as our coaching function is concerned.
The only question that matters is, "can McGregor deliver a premiership?"
If the answer is no, then he should not be the coach.
If we fall off our perch again this year, then the fact that we have a better roster compels a decisive and immediate change in coach.

The Blues this year introduced a host of young talent - Cleary and Mitchell being prime examples. Yes these players are talented but their selection was also based with an eye to the future. While safer options were available, the coach and selectors have decided to develop the team. Those two players will be better for the Blues in 2 years time than they otherwise would have been had their selection been delayed while waiting for them to be 'ready'.

In clubland, other teams promote and develop their juniors. Often these players are raw and more deficient than the average first grader. But they have talent and they learn. The elite players help cover flaws and there's true balance in the team. A couple of years later the team and the player reap the rewards and the next junior is elevated.

Not at Saints. Not with Mary.

Straight Shooter

Crush

Coach
The Blues this year introduced a host of young talent - Cleary and Mitchell being prime examples. Yes these players are talented but their selection was also based with an eye to the future. While safer options were available, the coach and selectors have decided to develop the team. Those two players will be better for the Blues in 2 years time than they otherwise would have been had their selection been delayed while waiting for them to be 'ready'.

In clubland, other teams promote and develop their juniors. Often these players are raw and more deficient than the average first grader. But they have talent and they learn. The elite players help cover flaws and there's true balance in the team. A couple of years later the team and the player reap the rewards and the next junior is elevated.

Not at Saints. Not with Mary.

Straight Shooter
Kind of like how JDB has developed into one of the best in the game?
Like how Euan Aitken is now on the fringe of Origin?
Like how Dufty seems to be improving week in week out?
Also there are quite a few players who have come from other clubs who have developed into much better players under McGregor. Paul Vaughan has gone from reserve grade under Ricky to Origin.
Sims is looking amazing after a couple of seasons under Mary.
Cam McInnes wasn't wanted at Souths yet at the Dragons is playing some very good footy, next in line for Origin after Cook.
They are going alright.
Will Mary be able to take them to a premiership? Lets see, they look to be in the mix.
But the thread at the top of the forum after 14 weeks currently sitting on 1st on the ladder with 5 players in the Origin series is SACK MCGREGOR.
Pathetic.

giboz71

First Grade
Also there are quite a few players who have come from other clubs who have developed into much better players under McGregor. Paul Vaughan has gone from reserve grade under Ricky to Origin.
Cam McInnes wasn't wanted at Souths yet at the Dragons is playing some very good footy, next in line for Origin after Cook.
They are going alright.
Will Mary be able to take them to a premiership? Lets see, they look to be in the mix.
But the thread at the top of the forum after 14 weeks currently sitting on 1st on the ladder with 5 players in the Origin series is SACK MCGREGOR.
Pathetic.

You forgot Friz who also only became a rep player under Mary’s watch.

Not saying Mary is a supercoach but he’s not exactly a dud either.

A lot of people say that our juniors can’t take the next step under Mary. Guys like Host. Sele etc. But when you have 4 Origin caliber guys in front of you, your going to have to bide your time.

And if you want to take their spot, you’re going to have to earn it. Guys like Host in particular haven’t done that and that’s largely on him I’m afraid, not Mary.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
They are going alright.
Pathetic.
Crush yea when you break it all down like that yes there are some good points there . OK let's now look at it another way our previous years under our coach has not been great , he now has the team he wants we are running 1st ( very happy can't ask for more ) said in another thread don't care how we win don't care what the coach does as long as we win . Our coach has been in charge for a long while now , my concern is can he deliver a Premiership . I'm not convinced he can because I still see the same signs as previous years , but in saying that the team needs to start going up a gear to get out of the Mimi slump they are in , if that happens soon we can finish the season strong ...... Anyway let's hope it all clicks soon and Mary can deliver a Premiership , that's what its all about all the points that you raise are great but its a Grand Final win that matters .....

giboz71

First Grade
I get that winning a premiership should be the goal.

But seriously, if that’s the minimum KPI for all coaches, then only a handful would have a job. Only 6 current coaches have premierships under their belt and one of those is Ricky Stuart.

And if anyone on here thinks Ricky is a better option than Mary I will lose my shit.

blacksafake

First Grade
I get that winning a premiership should be the goal.

But seriously, if that’s the minimum KPI for all coaches, then only a handful would have a job. Only 6 current coaches have premierships under their belt and one of those is Ricky Stuart.

And if anyone on here thinks Ricky is a better option than Mary I will lose my shit.
I think Ricky is a better option.

TruSaint

Referee
Havent read all the recent pages on this thread, but will say this.

In the past month we have been tested by Souths and Penrith.. Aggregate loss 52 to 12.

Those performances show deficiencies, and may / may not have been hampered by injury.

I suggest we re-visit this thread end of season proper.

Over and out for now.

PS, yes I am glad to be on top of the ladder, but lets not forget our great F&A has diminished by some margin, and teams on our tail ( some ), have a bye up their sleeve.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Havent read all the recent pages on this thread, but will say this.

In the past month we have been tested by Souths and Penrith.. Aggregate loss 52 to 12.

Those performances show deficiencies, and may / may not have been hampered by injury.

I suggest we re-visit this thread end of season proper.

Over and out for now.

PS, yes I am glad to be on top of the ladder, but lets not forget our great F&A has diminished by some margin, and teams on our tail ( some ), have a bye up their sleeve.

Fair call mate but we beat the Roosters and Storm combined 58-22 in consecutive weeks, the week after we had to travel to NZ to face the other top of the table side at that time.

Who would have thought that at the start of the year given many picked both those sides to win the comp at the start of the season?

TruSaint

Referee
Fair call mate but we beat the Roosters and Storm combined 58-22 in consecutive weeks, the week after we had to travel to NZ to face the other top of the table side at that time.

Who would have thought that at the start of the year given many picked both those sides to win the comp at the start of the season?

No my friend and I have said on many threads that I was pleased with our start.

However, history has soured my judgement " mid season". The 2 losses would have been acceptable against very good opposition of we were "in " the game. We were outplayed again around the same time as our slide over the past seasons.

Thus my reluctance to endorse Mary at this stage. I would love to be proved wrong as I really put success above any individual ( player / coach ).

The highlights early on are the ones you rightly mention and the pounding of the Titans, where we displayed some real skill.

They are going alright.
Pathetic.
Some of your revelations are contentious to say the least.
"Aitkin on the fringe of Origin"?? So who do you suggest he is going to replace? Roberts? Mitchell? Jennings? He is no SOO player even though he is hyped up a lot in that direction. Had a shocker against Canterbury.
Dufty is doing fine and has added some variation to our attack but "improving week in week out"? I don't think so.
Paul Vaughan was never a reserve grader. For whatever reason he was playing resers at Canberra, hea has turned out to be one of our best acquisitions in recent times.
Sims was always a great player who has got his mojo back after a stint dealing with some serious injuries.
McInnes has been superb and has added a new dimension to his game at hooker. I think Dean Young may have had something to do with that.
He and JDB are the ones that continue to improve.
I know, I know - we are sitting on top of the table and McGregor has done a cracking job getting us there.
This is the 5th year of his tenure.
I sincerely hope he has the nous to bring home a premiership for the fans.
I will be the first to admit I was wrong.
What happens if we don't at least go deep into the finals?
Should we saddle up for a 6th and 7th year in the hope that things will change or McGregor will turn into a premiership winning coach?
All these questions and more will be answered come September.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Welcome to .........

iStock_000007309956XSmall-Plan-B.jpg

Sorry, I can't ........... must revert back to ........
Plan%20B%20picture_0.jpg

But the professors all agree ........... If you want to win a comp........

9d76f4f5ce4e9f6723ee4c2a822029fc.jpg

If that don't work............ what about Plan C ???????

9236170-plan-a-plan-b-and-plan-c.jpg