What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Valheru

Coach
I have seen very little of his work but from what I read he was, next to Lou Thesz, the most influential worker of the post WW2/pre 1980s boom era.

RIP

nöyd

Staff member
Folks complain about Cena holding the title so many times/for so long - Bruno held it for something like 8 years straight and then for 5 straight years (or numbers similar to that) later in his career.

That is stunning.

Valheru

Coach
Folks complain about Cena holding the title so many times/for so long - Bruno held it for something like 8 years straight and then for 5 straight years (or numbers similar to that) later in his career.

That is stunning.

Yeah different times though.

Hogan held it for 4 years from 84-88 and Backlund for 4 years from 79-83, There were only 10 champions (including a couple of double ups) in the first 23 years of the title.

Iafeta

Referee
Wow, how sad. Pre Hulk Hogan, for the northeast territory of WWWF which eventually became WWE, there’s little doubt in my mind that Bruno was the legacy icon from that territory. It was a territory that was characterised by ethnic support, and by goodness, Bruno gained an enormous following.

One thing with Bruno, clearly he was never afraid to step out of the comfort zone and speak his mind. Whether he was in the minority, it mattered not to him. He called it how he saw it.

Rest In Peace Bruno

Yeah different times though.

Hogan held it for 4 years from 84-88 and Backlund for 4 years from 79-83, There were only 10 champions (including a couple of double ups) in the first 23 years of the title.

Different times indeed, when there are weekly episodic TV shows, you can blow through reigns a lot quicker.

Rabbitoad

Juniors

That is stunning.
Wasn't on weekly television, limiting his exposure.

You'd only see him when he came to your town, which in the north east territory was like once a month

mackdadday

Juniors
RIP Grandmaster Sexy. Got done for DUI then tried to hang himself in jail and died in hospital thereafter. I remember him as part of the tag team with Scotty too Hotty and also for his crazy sunset flip to the outside of the ring where he would power bomb people onto the floor. Heart goes out to Jerry Lawler.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Nickolai Volkoff also died with heart problems, 70 years old.

Brickhouse Brown (not familiar) died from cancer, 57

Grand Master Sexay, Brian Christopher (son of Jerry Lawler) was 46

Brickhouse Brown was one of the first "replacements" for Junkyard Dog in Mid-South Wrestling when JYD went to the WWF. He was put in a very unenviable position since JYD was over HUGE, and Bill Watts felt that the only way for business to pick up was to have a top African-American babyface.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Ooh no!! I really liked him.

Only Bret left from the Hart Foundation now! (well Jimmy Hart if you wish to include him)

Latest posts