What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes Ferguson playing like a player trying to get a new contract.
Then sign him for two years only. Most players though, play worse when they are off contract. It's no coincidence that the Dragons are playing well now that everyone is contracted for 2019. Next year a bunch of them are off contract and they will be distracted for much of the year.

Only shit attitudes play better when they're off contract, and yes, Ferguson might be one of these. But for playing ability he is exactly the type of winger we need.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Most would be surprised at the number of juniors from Hills and North West area that have moved to play elsewhere. My grandson has moved into the Penrith Comp this year , after playing since he was 4 in his own area. Problem is , the senior heirarchy dont pay enough attention to junior clubs, only interested in the rep teams. A dangerous policy if allowed to continue
The junior clubs have minimal effect on the NRL team's outcomes. Our consistently strong Harold Matts team shows we are doing fine at junior level. The fact we are outperformed in SG Ball and especially NYC/Flegg by clubs like the f**king Roosters is proof that your junior comp is a worthless waste of money. Recruiting outsiders into the rep teams is what evidently provides the advantage.

Cordner, Friend, Manu and Mitchell all played SG Ball and under 20s for the Chooks. Aubusson, Liu and Napa all played in their under 20s side. How many of them do you think came from the Eastern Suburbs junior comp?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's funny, not that long ago I remember rather a few posters that were whining how we put too much faith in juniors and we needed to be more like the Roosters and Storm who go out and buy players and nurture them.

Now we've gotta have our own juniors again. It's almost like people have no idea what actually makes a successful club and just want to whinge...
I think people are conflating two different things. There is junior recruitment, which appears to be very important, and practiced extensively by the likes of the Roosters and Storm. And then there is the local junior competition, which is just another expense for (some) NRL clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This coach has been here for 5 years and some of them are still here..........
Well their attitudes obviously weren't such a problem prior to this year. You probably don't grasp that the culture is set as much by the senior players as by the coach (look at Melbourne) and that the dynamic amongst the senior players evolves each year as players gain and lose influence. We have obviously reached a tipping point where the dickheads have reached maximum influence in the group.

Either that or the coach has just forgotten how to coach. You could be right.

IFR33K

Coach
Most would be surprised at the number of juniors from Hills and North West area that have moved to play elsewhere. My grandson has moved into the Penrith Comp this year , after playing since he was 4 in his own area. Problem is , the senior heirarchy dont pay enough attention to junior clubs, only interested in the rep teams. A dangerous policy if allowed to continue

14-15 year olds are fleeing at rapid rates.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well their attitudes obviously weren't such a problem prior to this year. You probably don't grasp that the culture is set as much by the senior players as by the coach (look at Melbourne) and that the dynamic amongst the senior players evolves each year as players gain and lose influence. We have obviously reached a tipping point where the dickheads have reached maximum influence in the group.

Either that or the coach has just forgotten how to coach. You could be right.
Yeah the bloke who got an 8 week ban's attitude must of been fantastic in 2016........

same thing is happening with cricket too, 14-20 yr olds not interested, there is video games and netflix and shit to do instead now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
same thing is happening with cricket too, 14-20 yr olds not interested, there is video games and netflix and shit to do instead now.

its every sport up here, League Union, Cricket, AFL and Soccer

kids play junior sport till about 13 or 14 then give it away, some clubs have closed down and only have junior sport now

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah the bloke who got an 8 week ban's attitude must of been fantastic in 2016........
We were desperate back then. And Norman might've convinced the club he had learnt his lesson. Now we know he didn't.

You seem to think setbacks are proof that management has failed. It is actually how they respond that determines their success or failure.

84 Baby

Referee
Have you actually been involved in junior footy, it's because clubs have a junior base that the opportunity to poach is available to those clubs. If you knew anything you would know the Storm have a centre of excellence in the South Island of New Zealand.

Also the point is that when the junior league is run by an idiot, kids stop following the club, volunteers are hard to find.

Ifr33k is part of a junior club, I think you are failing to acknowledge the base of the club, but I am not surprised that many only see the NRL. Why do you think Penrith are successful, they are run by the GM we let go, and even Gus understands if you have a strong base, it crucially supports what's above it. Parramatta are more than the first grade team, and needs the lifeline the juniors should provide.
Think you missed my second comment. My first was just a funny.
I agree that if the club is going to be involved with juniors they need to be committed and providing as I said best practice support.
But I also highly doubt that Melbourne's centre of excellence has anything to do with what you want for our juniors

84 Baby

Referee
its every sport up here, League Union, Cricket, AFL and Soccer

kids play junior sport till about 13 or 14 then give it away, some clubs have closed down and only have junior sport now
It's every sport full stop. The second young boys grow pubes, a large portion give up sport altogether. And it's not video games, netflix, etc. because it's been happening for longer than both. It's not a new phenomena caused by the evil DA

Delboy

First Grade
Pou, I,understand you are prepared to argue for its own sake. But we are trying to tell,people,that a once strong junior league is losing players to other districts because of hopeless leadership.
Yes , we are interested in that domain, doesn't mean that it won't impact on the senior team at some point. Ifr33k is seeing players leave to the Bulldogs juniors, I am seeing players leave into the Riff juniors and some into Norths.
It's not an issue to be ignored despite your thoughts from interstate, and we do bring juniors into our rep systems to strengthen the rep teams, but the juniors need to be encouraged to enable strong competition past the 13/14 years age group.
I don't think it's sensible for your typical circular remarks from outside of the district, when you have no direct knowledge of the issue.

Dibs

Bench
I know you have to keep your defensive line somewhat, but given Vave is the only one besides the fullback in spitting distance when the kick comes down means a lot of players should be hanging their heads in f**king shame. VAVE FFS!!! How does f**king Siosaia Vave out hustle you???
Me? Pretty f*cking easy I would think. Supposed NRL players? No f*cken idea

IFR33K

Coach
Must be why Harold Matts only made three grand finals in the last four years.

The junior league boss himself said it. Went on to say he doesn’t know why :joy:

Don’t be fooled. We are great in numbers and that’s about it. We have an inferior Comp in comparison with Penrith. I’m sure they even dominate us in battle of the West each year.

IFR33K

Coach
Pou, I,understand you are prepared to argue for its own sake. But we are trying to tell,people,that a once strong junior league is losing players to other districts because of hopeless leadership.
Yes , we are interested in that domain, doesn't mean that it won't impact on the senior team at some point. Ifr33k is seeing players leave to the Bulldogs juniors, I am seeing players leave into the Riff juniors and some into Norths.
It's not an issue to be ignored despite your thoughts from interstate, and we do bring juniors into our rep systems to strengthen the rep teams, but the juniors need to be encouraged to enable strong competition past the 13/14 years age group.
I don't think it's sensible for your typical circular remarks from outside of the district, when you have no direct knowledge of the issue.

Not only are they leaving in numbers, but the talent that actually remains end up at one of four powerful clubs in the district. Then you have the weaker clubs struggle against the stronger clubs, which in turn results in more kids fleeing. Kids don’t like losing either. For the junior comp to improve, clubs must stop stock piling the talent.

How else would kids improve?

Delboy

First Grade
I think an idea like a Division 1 of 4 teams each from Penrith and Parramatta in the international rules ages (13 years and up) would,be of benefit to both leagues. Yep it's the same in Div 1 in the Penrith Comp with generally 4 teams dominant in each age group.

That would hopefully enable the Div 2 clubs to get better, and actually be able to compete, if the top 4 have a good second tier, then they will playing the top team from other clubs. That may well force a more even playing field and get those younger players to stay.

Not that I expect the brain dead person in charge at the PDJRL to even look at it, his forte is " my way or the highway". We have had some dopes. in charge but no one as arrogant as this failure.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not only are they leaving in numbers, but the talent that actually remains end up at one of four powerful clubs in the district. Then you have the weaker clubs struggle against the stronger clubs, which in turn results in more kids fleeing. Kids don’t like losing either. For the junior comp to improve, clubs must stop stock piling the talent.

How else would kids improve?

Is there transfer rules to prevent clubs poaching players?