What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Bronco's - One of the best game ever

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yestaerday's game will go down in the books for me as one of the best I have witness. Definitely in the top 10. I did not see that coming at all. Andrew Johns prediction before kickoff "Bronco's by heaps".

Everything was against the Saints and they were huge underdogs yet they won playing awesome footy. What was even more impressive was when Widdop came off in the 57th minute, Saints scored 14 more points and held the Bronco's scoreless. There was plenty of time on the clock and Bronco's were coming back. Lawrie, Leilua and Mann really stepped up and the bench which was criticised as our weakness compared to the Bronco's was exceptional. Especially with all the injuries.

People will say it was good coaching but to me it was mostly a group of guys playing for pride.The guys were savaged in the press for a while and they came out to just prove them all wrong which they did. You really must give Mary some credit for this as they actually look like they went to a plan that worked for 16 rounds. They moved the ball around and not this one out, block plays stuff.

Would you guys have this up there as 1 of the best or in the top 10?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes awesome game and Simms was amazing running off Widdop. Now we gotta ask where has this been during that period we were playing like asses. And why cant we get Friz doing that as well although he did create some havoc outwide. That is simple stuff why cant we always do that so easy but i suppose every game just doesnt present those opportunities.

boardlumps62

Juniors
When you follow a team i expect from them to have a dig each week. Some times were just down on our luck bad calls from refs. Is there a possibility the coach screws up the game plan or the players dont follow it. Or Hunt for example has a shocker and everything goes pear shaped. Sometimes the other team gets a roll on and in this modern game of league if you dont control rhe ruck that is the speed of the play rhe ball and making yardage into opposition territory and tight defence around the ruck. And a food kicking game is essential to make easy ground. Hunt was better yesterday but still there was some kicks that went wrong but we got out of jail. And luck was it Widdops kick bounced off Broncos legs in 1st half and somehow we got it back. That is luck.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
When you follow a team i expect from them to have a dig each week. Some times were just down on our luck bad calls from refs. Is there a possibility the coach screws up the game plan or the players dont follow it. Or Hunt for example has a shocker and everything goes pear shaped. Sometimes the other team gets a roll on and in this modern game of league if you dont control rhe ruck that is the speed of the play rhe ball and making yardage into opposition territory and tight defence around the ruck. And a food kicking game is essential to make easy ground. Hunt was better yesterday but still there was some kicks that went wrong but we got out of jail. And luck was it Widdops kick bounced off Broncos legs in 1st half and somehow we got it back. That is luck.
Hunts kicking game yesterday was top class anybody who didn't see that .GO straight to SPECSAVERS

This Year?

Immortal
We as fans are so mentally scarred from finals losses to the Broncos that only the most one eyed and delusional thought it could happen and yesterday showed that anything can happen.
It was beautiful to get one back on them after what we have been though for the last 7 years.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The best game in the short term history was the 2010 grand final but this would have to be runner up.

Great, gutsy team effort.

Truth was, the coach had little to do with it. You could see it in his face. He was flabbergasted just like us.

As others have mentioned, this result was borne from desperation from the players.

We might not get the result we want next week but as long as the effort is there, l’ be happy....... another win would be a bonus.

One of the most satisfying points was sticking the result right up people like the channel 9 and Fox Sports commentary personal ...... right up them l say and rotate.

Definitely top 10 performance of the past 50 years.

You could see from the first set the team had come to play.

The boys defied logic. My head told me all week that our chances were slim to none.

My heart kept responding, we can win this one !!!!!!!!!

Great, great performance, 80 minutes full of determination, courage and skill.

We owe the Broncos a few more doses of that type of finals performance.

Now for bbq rabbit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Besides the GF victories this was up there as one of the very best team performances I've seen. Top shelf in the fact it was so comprehensive in a semi final with everything and everyone against us. The intensity and aggression was spot on and our entire forward pack delivered big time.
Special mention to Gordon Tallis for lifting them with his previous comments that Ben Hunt is not to blame, it's the Dragon Forwards fault. Thanks you walk out wanker, you finally did us a favour against your beloved and protected Broncos.

Datramp

Juniors
Truth was, the coach had little to do with it. You could see it in his face. He was flabbergasted just like us.

I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some credit on this one.

Dragonsdiehard

Juniors
Well, yesterday I have to say I teared up. I didn't burst out crying like I did after the 2010 GF though.

I was dreading this match all week. The whole time, my mind kept going back to 92 and 93 GFs and countless other times since when we have left Lang Park/Suncorp after having been thoroughly thrashed by the Broncos. After some of the trash we had been dealing out for the last two months or so, I was almost sick with anxiety.
And then we come along and not only pull the Broncos' pants down, but the pants of Gould, Lockyer, imortally banal Johns and the other expert nay sayers as well.
Any footy fan, regardless of who you support, had to have been in awe of the passion displayed by Sims, Graham and Frizell yesterday. I thought Perreira's running also stood out and even Lafai had a dig.
And that last try was just magic. Definitely a game for the vault.
With Widdop and DeBelin out, it's going to be an even taller order against Souths but if they can maintain that passion and play like men possessed like they did yesterday throughout the finals, that's all you can ask for.

Latest posts