What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Bronco's - One of the best game ever

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some credit on this one.

Ok...... if you insist but don’t ask me to make a habit out of it! :grin:

Ascalon

Juniors
Definitely in the top few. The heart all 17 showed was sensational. I have been a critic of dufty recently but he showed some ticker yesterday. A few including McGuire were trying to unsettle him but he seemed to feed on it. The pack were brutal. With the amount of screaming coming from me, the wife and 4 kids, I’m surprised the police weren’t called to my house. Will remember that win for a very long time!

ozbuck

Juniors
I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some credit on this one.

Unbelievable.

When the team loses bad its Mary's fault. When they win really well it's not Mary's fault.

In some people's eyes he is set up to be the scapegoat.

I've said all along, it's not the coach or players responsible it's the coach AND players. Yesterday the players pulled through fingers out. They found a reason to bring passion. Now everyone will saw that's the coaches responsibility to bring that out of them at will... These are grown men we are talking about. They need to hold up their end of the bargain and they haven't been the last 2 months.

Tbh, I think they all had their eyes on the finals.

Like I've said before, what happens a month or two out from the finals means absolute jack sh!t. Broncs had all the nmomentum going into yesterday.

80mins of football is all that matters.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-crowd-180909701-sd.jpg

STATS

Stat Attack: Dragons' most dominant ever win over Brisbane
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Mon 10 Sep 2018, 01:01 PM

The shock 48-18 thrashing dished out by the St George Illawarra Dragons over the Broncos on Sunday was the most dominant ever by the merged club, and they broke a couple of hoodoos in the process.

The result was startling in part due to the Dragons' less-then-convincing form over the past two months.

The 48 points scored was their second-biggest tally of 2018; even through the opening 16 rounds when they were sitting pretty atop the ladder with the league's best attack they had just one game – a 54-8 demolition of the Titans back in round three – which topped their elimination final score.

The result was also surprising given the club's horror record at Suncorp. The Red V has not sung the team song in the sheds at Brisbane since way back in 2009, with 10 straight losses at the venue since then.

Prior to a big 34-12 win at Kogarah in round one this year the Dragons had won just one of the previous 13 meetings against Brisbane across all venues.

Their 48 points scored was the most ever against Brisbane. The previous record was 34, which was equalled in round one, and amazingly that includes all games by the St George Dragons or Illawarra Steelers against Brisbane as well.

stat-attack_dragons_20180910-1.jpg

The 53 tackle busts racked up on Sunday was the second-most by the Red V against Brisbane since busts have been recorded; the only previous instance of more was the 66 busts racked up by Clint Greenshield (10), Colin Best (nine), Mark Gasnier (eight), Lance Thompson and Dean Young (six each) and others in a 24-4 win in 2005.

The Dragons' seven line breaks on Sunday were just one behind the club's all-time record against Brisbane which was eight (Lee Hookey two, Shane Laloata two, Luke Bailey, Trent Barrett, Willie Peters and Thompson one apiece) in a 28-20 win in 2002.

That record was equalled in the aforementioned 2005 clash (Ben Hornby two, Barrett, Greenshields, Wes Naiqama, Shaun Timmins, Corey Payne and Ashton Sims one each).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/10/stat-attack-dragons-most-dominant-ever-win-over-brisbane/

Carlton

Juniors
I actually think Graham had a lot to do with the way they played. He was in a serial killer mood all week and he had that berserker look on the field. Even when he was being told to leave the field for a HIA he was still angry and wanted to stay on.

Watch his start to the game, is involved in the first tackle, then chases half way across the field for the next tackle then chases right across to the other side for the next tackle. He was on a search and destroy mission and I think its hard for his fellow players not to follow when he is in that sort of frame of mind.

Datramp

Juniors
Unbelievable.

When the team loses bad its Mary's fault. When they win really well it's not Mary's fault.

In some people's eyes he is set up to be the scapegoat.

I've said all along, it's not the coach or players responsible it's the coach AND players. Yesterday the players pulled through fingers out. They found a reason to bring passion. Now everyone will saw that's the coaches responsibility to bring that out of them at will... These are grown men we are talking about. They need to hold up their end of the bargain and they haven't been the last 2 months.

Tbh, I think they all had their eyes on the finals.

Like I've said before, what happens a month or two out from the finals means absolute jack sh!t. Broncs had all the nmomentum going into yesterday.

80mins of football is all that matters.
Huh? I was saying Mary did a good job and we should give credit... Might need to reread :)

Bench
Been a supporter for 50 years and have seen many great games, I always thought the grand final reply against the Eels was something special, as was the 2010 grand final so they are my top two.
The win against the Broncos is my number three most memorial. We were rank outsiders in the betting, last win at Suncorp was 10 years ago.
All the stars pointed to us not having a chance of being the Broncos. We have been through a tough few weeks and we're written off, Bennett telling his team not to score any points so he could play us as opposed to the Warriors.
That performance is one for the ages.
I don't get emotional normally waving games, but this was different.
I am so glad for Hunt. He buried some demons yesterday

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If they continue updating the ladder, Saints would have moved from 7th to 5th.
Souths 34 Pts +144
Sharks 34 Pts +87
Dragons 34 Pts +77
Panthers 34 Pts +65
Broncos / Warriors 32 Pts

I know I harp on this but If Saints lose to Eels and Dogs by 2 each game, they go as high as 4th on +147.

41yearsaint

Juniors
I actually think Graham had a lot to do with the way they played. He was in a serial killer mood all week and he had that berserker look on the field. Even when he was being told to leave the field for a HIA he was still angry and wanted to stay on.

Watch his start to the game, is involved in the first tackle, then chases half way across the field for the next tackle then chases right across to the other side for the next tackle. He was on a search and destroy mission and I think its hard for his fellow players not to follow when he is in that sort of frame of mind.
Yep, he will be pissed for not getting enough game time in that glorious victory. Seek and destroy mission on Burgess, cant wait.

Dragsters

First Grade
Yeah, I watched it again last night what a ruthless and skillful performance, exactly as how they performed in the first rounds where they thumped all the heavyweights.

Same.

I couldn't help but to watch it again and the second viewing really drove how how "up for it" every single Dragon was yesterday.

Let's hope they can all get back to that level again on Saturday.

Inspirational...

Smurf

Juniors
Same.

I couldn't help but to watch it again and the second viewing really drove how how "up for it" every single Dragon was yesterday.

Let's hope they can all get back to that level again on Saturday.

Inspirational...

Great stuff
I am going to watch it again tonight !!

Life's Good

Coach
Definitely one for the ages. Its the manner of the win given the circumstances - our poor form, packed Suncorp, coaches records.
I posted elsewhere that the 99 semi where Mundine burnt the Sharks was a truly memorable game but this one is a whole other level & feeling.
What a game.

silverex

Bench
I flew out for an overseas holiday on Wednesday. Before I left I was setting the PVR to record some TV shows for while we are away.

Our game againt the Broncs came up in the programme and my finger hovered over the 'record' button.

Considering our season's late form and the upcoming venue and our history at that venue, I .......... you know how this story ends don't you?

So after the game I come on here to find out that the boys had just played one of the top 10 games of all time and I don't have a recording of it.

If NRL has taken it off the website before I get home I guess I'll have to wait for the 'Road To Victory' section on the 2018 Premiership DVD before I can see a full replay.