What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Bronco's - One of the best game ever

ouryears

Bench
Yestaerday's game will go down in the books for me as one of the best I have witness. Definitely in the top 10. I did not see that coming at all. Andrew Johns prediction before kickoff "Bronco's by heaps".

Everything was against the Saints and they were huge underdogs yet they won playing awesome footy. What was even more impressive was when Widdop came off in the 57th minute, Saints scored 14 more points and held the Bronco's scoreless. There was plenty of time on the clock and Bronco's were coming back. Lawrie, Leilua and Mann really stepped up and the bench which was criticised as our weakness compared to the Bronco's was exceptional. Especially with all the injuries.

People will say it was good coaching but to me it was mostly a group of guys playing for pride.The guys were savaged in the press for a while and they came out to just prove them all wrong which they did. You really must give Mary some credit for this as they actually look like they went to a plan that worked for 16 rounds. They moved the ball around and not this one out, block plays stuff.

Would you guys have this up there as 1 of the best or in the top 10?
For sure, top 4 for me.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Well, yesterday I have to say I teared up. I didn't burst out crying like I did after the 2010 GF though.

I was dreading this match all week. The whole time, my mind kept going back to 92 and 93 GFs and countless other times since when we have left Lang Park/Suncorp after having been thoroughly thrashed by the Broncos. After some of the trash we had been dealing out for the last two months or so, I was almost sick with anxiety.
And then we come along and not only pull the Broncos' pants down, but the pants of Gould, Lockyer, imortally banal Johns and the other expert nay sayers as well.
Any footy fan, regardless of who you support, had to have been in awe of the passion displayed by Sims, Graham and Frizell yesterday. I thought Perreira's running also stood out and even Lafai had a dig.
And that last try was just magic. Definitely a game for the vault.
With Widdop and DeBelin out, it's going to be an even taller order against Souths but if they can maintain that passion and play like men possessed like they did yesterday throughout the finals, that's all you can ask for.

My missus came to me well into the second half over all the noise I was making . Then she noticed the tears welled up in my eyes. Sunday's game was superb on so many levels and for so many reasons. After all these years she's known me, I still don't know whether she fully understands how much I love this club.

My man Gasnier

Juniors
Yes awesome game and Simms was amazing running off Widdop. Now we gotta ask where has this been during that period we were playing like asses. And why cant we get Friz doing that as well although he did create some havoc outwide. That is simple stuff why cant we always do that so easy but i suppose every game just doesnt present those opportunities.

Sims was actually running off Hunt like he does every week. So that's a bit awkward for you.

My man Gasnier

Juniors
I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some
Unbelievable.

When the team loses bad its Mary's fault. When they win really well it's not Mary's fault.

In some people's eyes he is set up to be the scapegoat.

I've said all along, it's not the coach or players responsible it's the coach AND players. Yesterday the players pulled through fingers out. They found a reason to bring passion. Now everyone will saw that's the coaches responsibility to bring that out of them at will... These are grown men we are talking about. They need to hold up their end of the bargain and they haven't been the last 2 months.

Tbh, I think they all had their eyes on the finals.

Like I've said before, what happens a month or two out from the finals means absolute jack sh!t. Broncs had all the nmomentum going into yesterday.

80mins of football is all that matters.

Very well said.

lynx000

Juniors
Very well done and congratulations for a great game. Many kudos to all of the Saints fans that showed up to the game. I was not one of the broncos fans thinking that it was going to be a walkover. I was feeling like it was going to be an ambush all week and that we might lose, but nothing like that.

Story of our season, just inconsistent and attitude issues that you never know which side is going to show up from week to week.

Good luck next week, I hope you all get a decent run through the finals and enjoy the ride.

ALSGI

Bench
Very well done and congratulations for a great game. Many kudos to all of the Saints fans that showed up to the game. I was not one of the broncos fans thinking that it was going to be a walkover. I was feeling like it was going to be an ambush all week and that we might lose, but nothing like that.

Story of our season, just inconsistent and attitude issues that you never know which side is going to show up from week to week.

Good luck next week, I hope you all get a decent run through the finals and enjoy the ride.
Good on you champ and commiserations.

I had a bit of fun on the HQ forum last week, the insight from fans is far more informative than anything the media or bookies can offer. I couldn’t believe how many were already looking forward to the next week and completely wrote us off. Only a couple thought there was any danger. I couldn’t believe the hate for Hunt and no regard for our forwards.

That made me very confident of an upset, so much so that I changed my mind and got a very tidy return on the game.

Anyway, all the best and good luck next year (except against us).

Life's Good

Coach
Good on you champ and commiserations.

I had a bit of fun on the HQ forum last week, the insight from fans is far more informative than anything the media or bookies can offer. I couldn’t believe how many were already looking forward to the next week and completely wrote us off. Only a couple thought there was any danger. I couldn’t believe the hate for Hunt and no regard for our forwards.

That made me very confident of an upset, so much so that I changed my mind and got a very tidy return on the game.

Anyway, all the best and good luck next year (except against us).

I was going to ask if that was you posting on BHQ. I'm glad you confirmed it. There was definitely an air of 'we got this' which I think mirrored what the players thought. I don't think Souths will fall into the same trap unfortunately.

Dragon for life

Juniors
I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some credit on this one.
No credit. Still think we can do better in regards to coaching and hope that we don’t now see this as successful and leave the coaching staff as is. The team with the inclusion of a couple of solid backs is capable of dominating for a few years and I just don’t see Mary as the person to do this. This would be one of the best forward packs in the game without doubt and we need to capitalise on the opportunity.

Here’s hoping they can back it up this week.

After Brisbane then Melbourne, Souths is the next team that dislike the most. I think it’s due to Inglis being in the team and hope one of our boys can sit him on his arse a couple of time on the weekend.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I am not sure on this. It seemed there was a definite game plan to hit the edge and expose nikorima and Milford. Makes sense given no Gillett or Glenn.. While I am no Mary fan I think he was happy and surprised the plan worked as well as it did. Gotta give the coaching staff some credit on this one.
You could be right, maybe the coach had something to do with it. You said it yourself, he was happy and surprised. Watched vision of the coach on TV... I've never him more surprised.

I think his new nickname should be McChuckles.

People keep asking, where has this been for the last 3-4 months? Well wherever it is coming from I say the players keep referring to the same advice.

Go Saints!

Dracarys

Juniors
I was reading the paper in a well known hamburger joint in my home town (sporting my Dragon jacket) and a young copper started up a conversation about the game and pretty much said it was the best game he'd ever seen. And he was an Eels supporter.

Last edited:
My two-cents is that as far as an emotional complete 180-degree turn this is one of the most extreme.

I left Kogarah a few sunday's ago in a Strait jacket.
I watched Sunday's game at home and could not sit down all game - even though there was a big comfy lounge on offer.

This team...

lynx000

Juniors
My two-cents is that as far as an emotional complete 180-degree turn this is one of the most extreme.

I left Kogarah a few sunday's ago in a Strait jacket.
I watched Sunday's game at home and could not sit down all game - even though there was a big comfy lounge on offer.

This team...
The joys of being the fan of an inconsistent football side. At least we can all hate the storm.

rednwhites

Juniors
Just watched a replay. I am making the most of it. I don't think I have enjoyed a win this much since 2011 or even since the 2010 GF. So many elements made it magical. The context and poor form leading up to it, the whole Brisbane in Brisbane scenario, the fact no one gave us a chance (including me), the elimination factor, the way Lawrie and Lomax made a name for themselves, the return of Hunt and our awesome backrow...it goes on.

Top 10 for sure but for now it feels like the only game that mattered this year. I was in tears for a good part of it. The sheer relief, was like finding a lost family member. "Oh THAT'S why I love this club!"