What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the NRL doing anything to help with ticket sales in Sydney for the weekends games, especially the Allianz one which could be pretty low?
surely the NRL marketing dept can get off its arse and actually promote something for a change?

Billythekid

First Grade
Has anyone seen the recent trend in the NFL for greatly reducing good and drink prices? So far it seems like the clubs getting involved in this are actually seeing increased profits.

What are the chances of any NRL clubs being this forward thinking and trying the same thing?

juro

Bench
Well that theory obviously should be aimed at every team that plays in a grand final.

Just on membership
I think you’ll find most have gone up.
I know the sharks broke their own previous record again this year.

In fact they have gone up every year for at least the last 5 years.
Okay, so I did a little fact checking. Some teams' attendances go down and some go up. Averaging the results for all grand finalists from 2000 to 2016 (including the Storm's stripped years), the results are:
  • 2 years prior: 8% lower than GF year
  • 1 year prior: 4% lower than GF year
  • 1 year after: 1% higher than GF year
  • 2 years after: 1% lower than GF year
So it seems that there is a build-up in form leading to the GF, attracting more fans. The year after is a little bit of a honeymoon. After that, things fall back to a longer term average.

Here is a graph of the individual years, plus the average.

DmyRMEjVAAclhgh.jpg:large

Obviously there will always be other factors that affect teams' averages from year to year. The spread from year to year is massive. Roosters gained 41% in 2003 after winning in 2002, but then also lost 27% in 2014 after winning in 2013. Both Sharks and Rabbitohs fell back heavily after winning drought-breaking titles (11% and 16% respectively). The Cowboys gained 3% and Tigers gained 1% after their premierships.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Has anyone seen the recent trend in the NFL for greatly reducing good and drink prices? So far it seems like the clubs getting involved in this are actually seeing increased profits.

What are the chances of any NRL clubs being this forward thinking and trying the same thing?

I can't remember the last time I bought any food or drink item at Panthers Stadium. I haven't missed a home game in years as well.

guyver78

Juniors
I actually think that they categorized the reserved seating very well for the first time in a long time for ANZ stadium this Saturday night. In past years Aisble 112 was still considered Category 1 which is past the goal line.

As of now Rabbitohs Cat 1 only has single seats remaining, The Dragons still quite a bit available in Cat 1.

guyver78

Juniors

I still don't understand why people are so fussed with Drinks/Beer and/or Food prices at the footy.

Alcohol and good food is expensive as in Australia as it is anywhere you go.

In the end It's just a 2 hour footy game, you're not spending 8 hours in there. Do people really need to eat and/or drink in that short span of time. I say grab some beer and/or food before the game.

Billythekid

First Grade
I can't remember the last time I bought any food or drink item at Panthers Stadium. I haven't missed a home game in years as well.

I still don't understand why people are so fussed with Drinks/Beer and/or Food prices at the footy.

Alcohol and good food is expensive as in Australia as it is anywhere you go.

In the end It's just a 2 hour footy game, you're not spending 8 hours in there. Do people really need to eat and/or drink in that short span of time. I say grab some beer and/or food before the game.

It doesn't matter if any of us posting in this thread have a problem. There are a lot of people who do and it affects the clubs and stadiums bottom line.

I also suspect this is an issue that disproportionately affects families.

guyver78

Juniors
It doesn't matter if any of us posting in this thread have a problem. There are a lot of people who do and it affects the clubs and stadiums bottom line.

I also suspect this is an issue that disproportionately affects families.

Yeah but food and drink prices are expensive everywhere in Australia tho. Go bowling on a Saturday night and you will see how much you pay for a bottle of coke, beer, meat pie, chips or a sandwich. It's all the same everywhere.

Staff wages are very high here in OZ, nobody works for $15 an hour anymore so I can't see this changing anytime soon.

Billythekid

First Grade
Yeah but food and drink prices are expensive everywhere in Australia tho. Go bowling on a Saturday night and you will see how much you pay for a bottle of coke, beer, meat pie, chips or a sandwich. It's all the same everywhere.

Staff wages are very high here in OZ, nobody works for $15 an hour anymore so I can't see this changing anytime soon.

I feel like you ignored what I was asking about. Some NFL teams have been moving towards cheaper food and beverages and have found themselves actually making more money due to increased sales. I'm wondering whether something similar can work here. It's a win win basically.

guyver78

Juniors
I feel like you ignored what I was asking about. Some NFL teams have been moving towards cheaper food and beverages and have found themselves actually making more money due to increased sales. I'm wondering whether something similar can work here. It's a win win basically.

Yeah possibly, just keep in mind the average NFL crowd in 70K, the average NRL crowd is what 12-15K (if that most games). So the numbers themselves don't add up to begin with for those sort of high volume sales.

NFL games are an all day thing with the tail-gating, to the BBQs outside the stadium etc etc It's more of an "All-Day" event for families. Most NRL fans turn up less then 30 minutes before the main game and as soon as the game is over most people storm right out of the stadium to either catch the quickets train home or get out of the car park ASAP.

I don't think we're comparing apples and apples here but I see what you're saying.

Teddyboy

First Grade

I thought the CIU/Leagues clubs were cheap for food and drink ?

Latest posts