What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

TheFrog

Coach
I don’t see how in fairness under that rule that the ref could come to any conclusion but a penalty try.
Does the ref have to decide if a try would have been scored if a legal tackle had been made instead? There are many ways of interpreting it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t see how in fairness under that rule that the ref could come to any conclusion but a penalty try.

Feki had one player to beat. That player hit him with an illegal shot as he saw it. If he doesn’t make that hit Feki scores (that’s even the point the defence were making).

What did the ref think would happen if he wasn’t shoulder charged? Was the assumption that Feki would have dropped it? He had one step to take.

This is a far clearer try scoring opportunity than someone chasing a loose ball from a kick and they are often awarded as penalty tries.

Got welsh family who is a union fan staying. He saw the tackle last night and said why not sin bin and penalty try and then no case to answer as wasn’t dangerous? He said that would have been the outcome in union in uk.
It was hard to give any argument why that wouldn’t have been the logical best outcome of this whole shamoozle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Billy is such a legend that not only will he go out with a gf win and CC medal but he is leaving a legacy that will see the stupid shoulder charge grading changed for the betterment of the game. What a player.

MilkShark

First Grade
Got welsh family who is a union fan staying. He saw the tackle last night and said why not sin bin and penalty try and then no case to answer as wasn’t dangerous? He said that would have been the outcome in union in uk.
It was hard to give any argument why that wouldn’t have been the logical best outcome of this whole shamoozle.
And make the crowd angry, you crazy?

PJ

First Grade

Should have explained it was Billy Slater who did it.

If he gets away with sliding knees into players scoring and leading with his studs when taking bombs then he can get away with anything.

Billythekid

First Grade
This has to be one of the fastest moving threads I’ve ever seen on this forum. Over a 1000 posts in a week easily. Kinda curious how many other threads have seen similar amounts of posts in such a short time.

morley101

Juniors
I see Greenberg has been silent... he must agree with these tackles being legal...He was nice and loud when Napa collected Sims earlier in the season...

jargan83

Coach
Well the result was not an unexpected one and was predicated by 99.99% of the users on this forum.

Some have suggested maybe the NRL will remove the shoulder charge rule after the season is done but I saw something last night that suggested the ruling in favour of Slater was that the judiciary deemed the contact not to have been a shoulder charge and that initial contact was with the pec?

Watch the NRL stick to its guns on the shoulder charge in the post season. Also watch some no-name cop a week long suspension next year for a shoulder charge despite the NRL shitting all over it's own rule book last night.

Last edited:

Chimp

Bench
I see Greenberg has been silent... he must agree with these tackles being legal...He was nice and loud when Napa collected Sims earlier in the season...
He'll be out in the off season, once the furore has dies down. He'll use 2 million words to say they've done a review and basically say the decision to clear him was wrong, without actually admitting the decision was wrong, and to announce a crackdown so that these tackles no longer go unpunished...... Policy on the run - it enables you to flex your rules and processes as and when to suit their agenda at that time.

Valheru

Coach
I really don't understand how people cannot understand that if a player is unable to get to a player in time to stop a try, this does not mean you are then allowed to break the rules in order to stop the try being scored.

What is he to do? Just let him score?
Ummm well yes, that is the game!!!!!!!!!!!

My mind boggles.

Exactly

It's like this is a foreign concept for the apologists but it happens in all sport.

carcharias

Immortal

Probably because the ref is useless and he was afraid Billy would cry

lazza

Juniors

Feki had one player to beat. That player hit him with an illegal shot as he saw it. If he doesn’t make that hit Feki scores (that’s even the point the defence were making).

What did the ref think would happen if he wasn’t shoulder charged? Was the assumption that Feki would have dropped it? He had one step to take.

This is a far clearer try scoring opportunity than someone chasing a loose ball from a kick and they are often awarded as penalty tries.
Well based on judiciary, it shouldn’t even have been a penalty cos of his pekka got feki first

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Really, why are they allowed to bring lawyers in and dispute suspensions? This is the cause and effect of leaving it open to interpretation.

While I'm at it time off for early pleas is ridiculous. Either they broke the rules or they didn't.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
No matter Billy Slater's achievements he never in his career did anything as impressive as Jarryd Hayne single handedly taking a woeful Eels team to the GF and single handedly defeating the most successful QLD SOO team ever with an abysmal NSW side like he did in 2014

Hayne > Billy Shoulders

Storm80

Juniors

Because it’s league mate. It ain’t union. And League was always far more brutal than the gentleman’s game of Union.

NRL rules only require a player to “attempt” to use his arms and hands to tackle, or hold on.

If Billy’s right arm and hand did not come into contact with Feki, then its more than likely the judiciary defines the tackle attempt as a shoulder charge.

Even then, as it’s a “careless” act, the judicary may have deemed the collision an unavoidable collision and not careless under all the circumstances.

On a side note, I was reviewing highlights of all Easts games last night just for kicks. Billy did a shoulder to shoulder bump on an Easts player in the corner vs Easts in Adelaide. He didn’t even touch the attacking player with a hand or arm. Darius Boyd also did the same thing in the corner vs Easts in Brisbane too. No attempt to use the arms or hands in either tackle and the match review panel didn’t charge either player.

The NRL can’t just pick and choose when it’s a shoulder charge arbitrarily. If the same adjudication was applied to Billy as everyone else, he never even gets charged and no penalty should have been given.

East west tackles should not and we’re never meant to apply to the shoulder charge rule.

What defenders do near the corner is a shoulder bump, not a shoulder charge. And shoulder bumps (where there is shoulder to shoulder contact or body contact) should never be outlawed. Only time a shoulder bump should be penalised is if there is contact to the head.

I can’t believe any fan of league would want the game to get softer than AFL, which still allow a “hip and shoulder” so long as there is no contact with the head. But I guess PC soft cocks just wanna ruin the hardness of league and make it netball.

Saxon

Bench
So much Salt here that Saxa needs a new warehouse.

4ffd24aec566d722ad001214-thumb-256x256.jpeg
images