What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann linked to Newcastle

TruSaint

Referee
Bye Kurt....
Not tall, not big, not fast, not aggressive, can’t kick, can’t read a game....yet somehow made the 17 each week.....

That's BS, with respect.
others have secured their spot in the team, with deficiencies any novice van see.

He has speed, is very aggressive, a great defender, and can read a game better than a few in our backline.

Please.

hazzbeen

Bench
That's BS, with respect.
others have secured their spot in the team, with deficiencies any novice van see.

He has speed, is very aggressive, a great defender, and can read a game better than a few in our backline.

Please.
I do call it BS .... he will start in most teams , once he settles into one position he will excel there ... Try moving players around each week from any of our players and lets see how they go ......

giboz71

First Grade
I do call it BS .... he will start in most teams , once he settles into one position he will excel there ... Try moving players around each week from any of our players and lets see how they go ......

If he goes to Newcastle, he won’t be starting. Ramien and Moga will be their first choice centres. All other backline spots are taken ( and there is tallk they are after Jennings).

And if Brownie wants to turn him into a hooker like it’s been reported (silly idea btw), he’ll have to compete with Levi and Slade Griffin.

He’ll be a bench player or playing reserve grade, only for a lesser team.

hazzbeen

Bench
If he goes to Newcastle, he won’t be starting. Ramien and Moga will be their first choice centres. All other backline spots are taken ( and there is tallk they are after Jennings).

And if Brownie wants to turn him into a hooker like it’s been reported (silly idea btw), he’ll have to compete with Levi and Slade Griffin.

He’ll be a bench player or playing reserve grade, only for a lesser team.
Well I'm glad you think so , only time will tell , he will be a starter like I said when he settles into a position ... We will chat again if he does go .....

giboz71

First Grade
Well I'm glad you think so , only time will tell , he will be a starter like I said when he settles into a position ... We will chat again if he does go .....

Happy to revisit if and when he leaves.

He may well start for another team, but based on the backs Newy already have, I don’t see it happening.

I think he can be a decent centre/winger but he needs to stop persisting with trying to be a spine player (fullback, half, 5/8). I’ve seen enough of him to know he can’t cut it in those positions, not at an elite level anyway.

If he does stay, I hope he gets a go at left centre as I’m losing patience with Lafai.

hazzbeen

Bench
Happy to revisit if and when he leaves.

He may well start for another team, but based on the backs Newy already have, I don’t see it happening.

I think he can be a decent centre/winger but he needs to stop persisting with trying to be a spine player (fullback, half, 5/8). I’ve seen enough of him to know he can’t cut it in those positions, not at an elite level anyway.

If he does stay, I hope he gets a go at left centre as I’m losing patience with Lafai.
This is the problem , he should have been given a chance to settle into a position , as you say Lafai and others played badly but held their positions . Mann needs a fair go somewhere , wing center , before I right him off .....

mobels

Juniors
Newcastle don't even want him as a starter. There looking at him as bench hooker FFS.

Happy for Mann to stay but don't really care if he leaves. Field or Robson would both do better than him in the utility role.

No teams ever looked at him as a starter, he had the opportunity to leave last year but didn't knowing full well that he'd be nothing more than a utility for us.

Lets not overhype him to much. He's a good fill in player but will never be anything more than that.

giboz71

First Grade
Newcastle don't even want him as a starter. There looking at him as bench hooker FFS.

Happy for Mann to stay but don't really care if he leaves. Field or Robson would both do better than him in the utility role.

No teams ever looked at him as a starter, he had the opportunity to leave last year but didn't knowing full well that he'd be nothing more than a utility for us.

Lets not overhype him to much. He's a good fill in player but will never be anything more than that.

Pretty much my thinking as well.

Although I agree with some others that perhaps he offers more at left centre than Lafai.

But that try Lafai scored in the Broncos semi will give him the first crack at left centre again in 2019 (rightly or wrongly).

SEAT 1A

Bench
Wish him well and hope he is offered more coin if he leaves,

Did what was asked of him, he found his best position for the team this year however, not his preferred choice.

Thought his best position and deserved a shot at winger before the club bought Nene.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
That's BS, with respect.

Please.

Agreed TS,
I'd keep Mann and flick Lafai if any.
He might not be the purest but least Mann would put in every week.
He's the type of player every club needs and wants.
They never get paid the big bucks but they help form the soul of a club.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Keep telling yourself that. Ridiculous comment given that we barely got to see him play. Thanks Mary.

Even with Mary’s massive short comings, if Mann was good enough he would have jagged a starting place..
This season even more so with injuries to aitken, nightingale, Hunt, Widdop and MacDonald for several weeks at a time.
Yet guys like lomax and pereira still managed to leap frog him and rightfully so..

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
That's BS, with respect.

Please.

With respect Mann was physically under developed for first grade. A jumper grabber in defence and was only “quick” in comparison to our backline of plodders. Hardly quick at all in comparison to actual quick players...

TruSaint

Referee
Even with Mary’s massive short comings, if Mann was good enough he would have jagged a starting place..
This season even more so with injuries to aitken, nightingale, Hunt, Widdop and MacDonald for several weeks in a row.
Yet guys like lomax and pereira still managed to leap frog him and rightfully so..

Yeah... Nah

Mary, as has been stated here at infinitem, has used Mann from FB, wing, centre,halves, back row, bench, etc etc etc.. he hasn't discarded him. No one has "leap frogged" him, as he doesnt know where the fook he is playing week in week out.

What Mary hasn't done is give the lad a go at ONE spot for any reasonable amount of time. Like he has for say, Aitken / Lafai / Nene / Dufty / etc.

Barring injury, Aitken would never has missed a game.

As to Lomax , i rate the kid , but was brought in at the 11th hour. I am glad Lomax got a chance but it wasn't through any Mary magic. It was desperation.