What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann linked to Newcastle

TruSaint

Referee
With respect Mann was physically under developed for first grade. A jumper grabber in defence and was only “quick” in comparison to our backline of plodders. Hardly quick at all in comparison to actual quick players...

I only compared him to our "team" of plodders.

As to physically underdeveloped, how's Dufty going ?

Como Connection

First Grade
Yeah... Nah

Mary, as has been stated here at infinitem, has used Mann from FB, wing, centre,halves, back row, bench, etc etc etc.. he hasn't discarded him. No one has "leap frogged" him, as he doesnt know where the fook he is playing week in week out.

What Mary hasn't done is give the lad a go at ONE spot for any reasonable amount of time. Like he has for say, Aitken / Lafai / Nene / Dufty / etc.

Barring injury, Aitken would never has missed a game.

As to Lomax , i rate the kid , but was brought in at the 11th hour. I am glad Lomax got a chance but it wasn't through any Mary magic. It was desperation.
Correct.
Kurt never given a chance to settle into one spot.
Centre was my selection, either side, better player than both.
Waste I say.
CC

Mr Red

First Grade
I only compared him to our "team" of plodders.

As to physically underdeveloped, how's Dufty going ?

Ok so you agree he isn’t quick then when compared to actual quick players...jeez you changed your mind quick.. first Mann’s quick but then only quick when compared to mostly slow players....
And yes Dufty is also physically under done... but he isn’t the one we are discussing or rumoured to be leaving so pretty pointless fact..

TruSaint

Referee
Ok so you agree he isn’t quick then when compared to actual quick players...jeez you changed your mind quick.. first Mann’s quick but then only quick when compared to mostly slow players....
And yes Dufty is also physically under done... but he isn’t the one we are discussing or rumoured to be leaving so pretty pointless fact..

lol, my post about his speed, aggression , etc was in context to our squad...

We do lack speed don't we ? I know Dufty is fast, but that is it. His deficiencies outay his speed. Wont tackle, won't compete under the high ball, and so forth.

We can agree to disagree. Re-read my post, in fact don't worry about it. If you cant see the fact that we bought a guy as a fullback, gave him 2 FRICKEN games, dumped him, moved him around like pawn, then so be it.

possm

Coach
Agreed TS,
I'd keep Mann and flick Lafai if any.
He might not be the purest but least Mann would put in every week.
He's the type of player every club needs and wants.
They never get paid the big bucks but they help form the soul of a club.
Millward made a mistake locking in Aitken, Lafai and Mann long term. Now we are stuck with Aitken and Lafai with Mann looking to go to Newcastle. 1 to 5 needs an overhaul. I'd:
Move Lomax to fullback
Let go Aitken and Lafai and replace them with two good centres
I'd recruit Oats

1. Lomax
2. Macdonald
3. New Centre
4. Mann
5. Oats
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

So there with replacing Aitken and Lafai and buying Oats and a centre we could have a much improved backline.

Last edited:

gitano

Juniors
Pretty average player solid enough. Will have a few CJ's in here butthurt but no great loss if he goes

Coffs dragon

Bench
I've always liked Kurt Mann as a player & thought 5/8 was his best position, until the semifinal against Souths. Unfortunately, I feel Mary has successfully unskilled him into now being a competent and handy utility.
Kurt needs to move to another club under a coach with vision to develop his game & skillset in one position and not plug holes!

dragon thomo

Juniors
Possm you keep metioning that Lomax should move to fullback, i can see the talent the boy has but i have not seen enough of him to know if he has the pace for fullback.
If so thats good as i still have a question mark on Dufty.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Possm you keep metioning that Lomax should move to fullback, i can see the talent the boy has but i have not seen enough of him to know if he has the pace for fullback.

Lomax is quite quick not Dufty quick but quick enough.
He is a better centre at the moment.
Imo he will be our long term centre.

Life's Good

Coach
Questions about Mann’s size, ability & best position aside, one thing is for certain he always gave his all. I can’t recall anything other than misery on his face when we lost so that speaks volumes for his playing commitment in the Red V.

I wish him the best of luck.

possm

Coach
Lomax was said to be in contention for the fullback spot for season 2018.
I've seen him play fullback in the lower grades and he killed it. The skills he has are:
Takes a high ball really well.
Delivers a pass really well.
Can step off both feet.
Has size and enough speed to run the ball back.
His positional play is good.

Mr Red

First Grade
I've always liked Kurt Mann as a player & thought 5/8 was his best position, until the semifinal against Souths. Unfortunately, I feel Mary has successfully unskilled him into now being a competent and handy utility.
Kurt needs to move to another club under a coach with vision to develop his game & skillset in one position and not plug holes!

In the modern game where the half and five eighth usually stand left and right side of the ruck, you are really crippling your options if one of those can’t kick...and Mann simply can’t...

Gareth67

First Grade
The chap most unfortunately never really found his true spot in the team , rather sad when the Dragons had a number of players who were simply not performing too well themselves.

Also whilst the maestro is coach he never will be anything other than a stop- gap player, personally believe that he is better than that . I do wish him every success should he make the move , more so in this instance as the grass will be greener for him at another club where he will get better opportunities.

possm

Coach
The chap most unfortunately never really found his true spot in the team , rather sad when the Dragons had a number of players who were simply not performing too well themselves.

Also whilst the maestro is coach he never will be anything other than a stop- gap player, personally believe that he is better than that . I do wish him every success should he make the move , more so in this instance as the grass will be greener for him at another club where he will get better opportunities.

The two players who should be sent packing from first grade are Aitken and Lafai. Sack them and find two good replacements.

Gareth67

First Grade
The two players who should be sent packing from first grade are Aitken and Lafai. Sack them and find two good replacements.

I believe that there would be a large percentage of fans who feel the same way possum.

In fact if I was captain of the good ship lollipop , I would had dropped them both off at the nearest deserted island - with a copy of Rugby League Week .