What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve read it in this thread multiple times. Also all the people who constantly say crowds are irrelevant because all the money comes from TV ignoring the fact that crowds can lead to increased ratings on TV.

Also ignoring the fact clubs can make a sht load more money from increased crowds than the $13mill they get from the nrl.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Also ignoring the fact clubs can make a sht load more money from increased crowds than the $13mill they get from the nrl.
The problem though, of course, is that clubs generally have no great incentive to grow crowds whilst they get spoon fed by the nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem though, of course, is that clubs generally have no great incentive to grow crowds whilst they get spoon fed by the nrl

I don’t know many businesses that don’t want to earn more revenue. They are hamstrung by shtness of nrl management and crap ko times but I do agree most of them do seem incredibly lazy and clueless about how to grow their customer base.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
What is everyones predictions on the individual and overall crowds for the round?

Storm v Broncos - 20K
Knights v Sharks - 21K
Roosters v Rabbitohs - 31K
Warriors v Bulldogs - 17K
Tigers v Sea Eagles - 12K
Cowboys v Dragons - 16K
Panthers v Eels - 21K
Titans v Raiders - 11K

Average - 18.6K

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don’t know many businesses that don’t want to earn more revenue. They are hamstrung by shtness of nrl management and crap ko times but I do agree most of them do seem incredibly lazy and clueless about how to grow their customer base.

I dont think clubs are lazy about selling games, they seem to try hard. The problem is that they hmstring themselves and make it impossible to actually grow....

First, clubs could demand better KO times (the ARLC backs down on every other demand). Theyd rather take the easy TV money.

Second, clubs are so blindly attached to their shitty home grounds. They ar so nostalgic for the Good Ol’ Days that they cannot see their ground is a drag on crowds.

There is not a lack of effort in selling ganes, clubs just back it impossible for themselves...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I dont think clubs are lazy about selling games, they seem to try hard. The problem is that they hmstring themselves and make it impossible to actually grow....

First, clubs could demand better KO times (the ARLC backs down on every other demand). Theyd rather take the easy TV money.

Second, clubs are so blindly attached to their shitty home grounds. They ar so nostalgic for the Good Ol’ Days that they cannot see their ground is a drag on crowds.

There is not a lack of effort in selling ganes, clubs just back it impossible for themselves...
The problem with the stadia argument is that its cyclical.

We recognise how backwards some of these grounds are when they're half full, muddy shit holes on a cold Friday night, but give them a sunny Sunday arvo and a packed hill, the nostalgia has everyone loving them again.

For all the complaints about large stadia, they generally attract better crowds, have better facilities etc. AAMI, Suncorp, and soon WSS are the standard we should be aspiring to.

Timmah

Staff member
And the misplaced, hallway monitor hubris of Timmah thinking being a moderator makes him superior to others discussing things on a F-O-R-U-M
I have no idea what difference being a mod makes to me having an opinion on the discussion in a thread. They've got as much right to discuss this as I do to observe that it's repetitive and going nowhere.

Timmah

Staff member
It'd be pretty quiet without us lol
We could talk about the England v NZ crowd predictions I suppose?

The first one at Hull should hopefully bring in around 20-23k (25k capacity). Both the tests between the nations there (2013 RLWC and 2015 4N) got around 23k.

Anfield will be an interesting one. The 4N Final in 2016 got 40k between AUS and NZ, but not being a final could work against it. I'd be interested to know how ticket sales are going.

The last one in Leeds should get 30k+, test matches played there in the past have generally been north of that mark.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the misplaced, hallway monitor hubris of Timmah thinking being a moderator makes him superior to others discussing things on a F-O-R-U-M
Its a CONSPEEEEERAAHHHSEEEEEEEE

tinfoilhatday-3.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id say the lack of NZ form and trhe mising of stars Burgess and Widdop will have a bit of impact. Around
Hull 21k
Anfield 27k
Leeds 24k

Springs09

Juniors
The first one at Hull should hopefully bring in around 20-23k (25k capacity). Both the tests between the nations there (2013 RLWC and 2015 4N) got around 23k.

Anfield will be an interesting one. The 4N Final in 2016 got 40k between AUS and NZ, but not being a final could work against it. I'd be interested to know how ticket sales are going.

The last one in Leeds should get 30k+, test matches played there in the past have generally been north of that mark.

They didn't play there in 2013, they played at Wembley. 2015 was not a Four nations it was a 3-match series like this year. The other most recent game there was the 2011 Four Nations.

All recent Elland Road tests have been finals as well.

Timmah

Staff member
They didn't play there in 2013, they played at Wembley. 2015 was not a Four nations it was a 3-match series like this year. The other most recent game there was the 2011 Four Nations.

All recent Elland Road tests have been finals as well.
I was looking at too many lines of data, you're right on both counts with Hull.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the Liverpool venue choice but if it gets a good crowd that's a positive.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It's good that the RFL are aiming reasonably high with these stadiums. The recent game in Leigh was an underwhelming choice...

Last edited:

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I was looking at too many lines of data, you're right on both counts with Hull.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the Liverpool venue choice but if it gets a good crowd that's a positive.
The hull match you speak of in rlwc 2013 was against Fiji and got over 25k so hull should be fine

Vee

First Grade

17k at Hull. Looked pretty full, wondering where they'd put another 8k unless there was an upper level unseen by the camera.

Timmah

Staff member
It's led them to conservatively hope for 25k at Anfield on Sunday. Interesting.

Latest posts