What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Can you drop out of the top 30? ... if you are on minimum position 27-30 money, and someone else (say mahoney) then gets put on the same money, can they slot in but you fall out of the top 30? ..... top 30 right now, but maybe not in the future???

Not sure, how does it work for sides with their own NSW cup side? As they wouId have a lot more then 30 players contracted.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I assumed Utoikamanu not the prop Stephano but the guy who was out all year was the one to watch put for and was an edge forward.
A few on here reckon who are good judges reckon is he is future first grader and his injury has pushed him back in the pack.

Eelogical

Referee
I know NOTHING about him..BUT someone must have seen potential in him for the Club to sign him, and put him in the TOP 30...There are better judges of 'footballing flesh' out there than me...that's for sure, but I am at least keen to see what he can do without putting shit on him sight unseen..
Thanks for your response.

parra pete

Referee
Thanks for your response.

lol...No problems..lol..Opinions are like bums, everyone has them...Some however choose to chuck their in the corner..Always look on the bright side of life. He might be a late bloomer...as I said, someone must have 'spotted' him, recognised his ability, and pointed him out to those in the know at the Club for it to sign him to a contract, and include him in the TOP 30..There is some great talent OUT THERE, some very promising kids..so for someone AGED 27 to come from "no where" suggests to me that he has some special qualities (maybe a good singer for the long bus trips?)
Many are called...few are chosen

parra pete

Referee
TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS: Andrew Davey

After several seasons with the Mackay Cutters, new Townsville Blackhawks back-rower Andrew Davey is tipped to make massive strides forward in the coming season.

Davey has impressed coach Kristian Woolf who can only see upsides in his career.

"Andrew has got all the physical attributes and is a big, tall athletic back-rower with plenty of aggression about him," he said.

"Since he has been in our system he has put on about seven kilos and that is going to help his footy this year.

"I just think he has a lot of raw and untapped talent.”

Woolf said Davey "could be anything."

"The thing about him is a lot of time playing in the Emerald country league and while he has a bit of age on him he has a lot of learning to do and I think he will really come on,” Woolf said.

"He is your typical guy out of the country with a real toughness about him.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/09/intrust-super-cups-future-nrl-stars-revealed/

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not sure, how does it work for sides with their own NSW cup side? As they wouId have a lot more then 30 players contracted.
And how much are they allowed to pay them? The maximum for a development contract is about $60k. That’s less than player 30 in the NRL squad is on. Is it a way around the development squad payment limit to just give these merkins $75k to play reserve grade?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lol...No problems..lol..Opinions are like bums, everyone has them...Some however choose to chuck their in the corner..Always look on the bright side of life. He might be a late bloomer...as I said, someone must have 'spotted' him, recognised his ability, and pointed him out to those in the know at the Club for it to sign him to a contract, and include him in the TOP 30..There is some great talent OUT THERE, some very promising kids..so for someone AGED 27 to come from "no where" suggests to me that he has some special qualities (maybe a good singer for the long bus trips?)
Many are called...few are chosen
It’s as simple as this:
1. Players tend to peak at about 27 years of age
2. Some players will only be good enough for a top 30 contract for a year or so in their entire career
3. If they’re only going to be good enough for one season it makes sense that it would be when the player is at his peak

Most importantly, if a player is good enough for a top 30 contract (even if minimum salary) why does his age matter?

For those advocating giving the position and money to a junior instead, what if none of them are good enough? None of our NYC graduate edge forwards are even good enough for a development contract (yet). The three blokes who locked up a dev contract are a prop and a halfback (both 19 this year) and Reed Mahoney, who will probably end up in one of the top 30 slots by round one.

Chipmunk

Coach
And how much are they allowed to pay them? The maximum for a development contract is about $60k. That’s less than player 30 in the NRL squad is on. Is it a way around the development squad payment limit to just give these merkins $75k to play reserve grade?

Isn't the $60k a minimum payment?