What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

ash411

Bench
We have a huge rebuild coming up and the 2020 coach needs to orchestrate this. So for mine, the club needs to make the call sooner rather than later. If it's BA then extend him. If it's a new coach, then somehow he needs to be involved with the rebuild.
It's also highly likely they could bring the new coach on mid season, let him focus on building the new squad for 2020 and leave BA to coach out the year with the current squad. That'd probably be the way I'd want to do it.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I reckon a new coach would have also been a bit more cut throat with the current squad and told them there is no place for them in 1st grade next year as they are too far down the pecking order. Their only option of playing 1st grade is finding a new club. I get the feeling Arthur is too close to the players (that he also recruited) and may have told them their contract wouldn’t be renewed but stopped short of telling players like Taka, Smith and French they are slim to no chance of playing 1st grade next year.

Who knows, we may have even had enough cap space to offer Hayne a decent contract.

ash411

Bench
Yep, should of been done months ago. Now yet again we just have another wasted season.

But don’t worry 2020 is where it’s at.
Most of the players were still contracted this year, what would be the point?

We have a natural fresh start (pretty much) next season, with so many players coming off contract, it'll be nice and neat, it's makes perfect sense to do it then.

You guys bang on about "just get rid of this guy and that guy" but you forget that you're talking about contracted players that still have to be paid even if we punt them, then we have to get replacement players, it's like you don't understand how football works.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Most of the players were still contracted this year, what would be the point?

We have a natural fresh start (pretty much) next season, with so many players coming off contract, it'll be nice and neat, it's makes perfect sense to do it then.

You guys bang on about "just get rid of this guy and that guy" but you forget that you're talking about contracted players that still have to be paid even if we punt them, then we have to get replacement players, it's like you don't understand how football works.
There are ways of “encouraging” players to move on. If they realise they are zero chance of playing 1st grade next year with us, that’s pretty strong incentive to look elsewhere. What happens to their future earning capacity spending the previous year playing exclusively for Wenty?

They are much better served finding a roster spot somewhere they are a good chance of a top 17 roster spot.

ash411

Bench
There are ways of “encouraging” players to move on. If they realise they are zero chance of playing 1st grade next year with us, that’s pretty strong incentive to look elsewhere. What happens to their future earning capacity spending the previous year playing exclusively for Wenty?

They are much better served finding a roster spot somewhere they are a good chance of a top 17 roster spot.
Yeah that's great and all, but their new club has to pay their full freight or we're still on the hook for part of their salary. This is what got us into trouble before, and isn't a practice we should be re-employing.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon a new coach would have also been a bit more cut throat with the current squad and told them there is no place for them in 1st grade next year as they are too far down the pecking order. Their only option of playing 1st grade is finding a new club. I get the feeling Arthur is too close to the players (that he also recruited) and may have told them their contract wouldn’t be renewed but stopped short of telling players like Taka, Smith and French they are slim to no chance of playing 1st grade next year.

Who knows, we may have even had enough cap space to offer Hayne a decent contract.
Arthur is too close to the players? He doesn’t seem like the sort of bloke who would get overly chummy with his players.

Didn’t @Avenger say that the players thought he was too intense?

ash411

Bench
Arthur is too close to the players? He doesn’t seem like the sort of bloke who would get overly chummy with his players.

Didn’t @Avenger say that the players thought he was too intense?
Also I thought the player hated him? It's really hard to be close to blokes that hate your guts.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

You are assuming that other clubs have lots of roster spots available. I understand where you are coming from and agree with the sentiment but I don't think you are being realistic.

Happy MEel

First Grade
You are assuming that other clubs have lots of roster spots available. I understand where you are coming from and agree with the sentiment but I don't think you are being realistic.
This was in relation to previous posts suggesting BA should have got his marching orders earlier this year. I’m sure there would have been more roster spots then.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Also I thought the player hated him? It's really hard to be close to blokes that hate your guts.
I don’t think that’s the case at all. I’m pretty sure I read that he had the support of the playing group when the club announced he was safe midway through the review process.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If we do well next year would you be happy to see BA remain coach?
Yes, I think he needs at least 6 from 10 early doors otherwise he needs to hit the Bricks. But it’s not a great situation to be in, that’s why starting fresh next season with a new coach would of been the better option IMO. I really think the playing group have had enough of him, after 5 years i just think the players have stopped listening.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes, I think he needs at least 6 from 10 early doors otherwise he needs to hit the Bricks. But it’s not a great situation to be in, that’s why starting fresh next season with a new coach would of been the better option IMO. I really think the playing group have had enough of him, after 5 years i just think the players have stopped listening.

Getting a new coach for 2019 is ancient history and moot point x 1000. Moving forward it is what it is and BA is our coach.

Having said that, I think he needs to be shown the door or re-signed ASAP simply based on the huge stockpile of cash we are sitting on.

I see little point of re-signing him, even if we are doing well, if he is going to be making decisions on the 2020 squad makeup for another coach.

Changing a coach is not easy. Every club that goes through this process rarely comes out the other end unscathed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Well didn’t French play nsw cup last?

Smith is just a back up.

BA has dropped / moved on or demoted his previous captains in Foran, Mannah and Scott.

He can make the tough decisions.