What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
I don't know what is right or wrong in regards to restraint of trade, however I think what HappyMeel is saying is that the courts wouldn't consider the level of footy being played as being relevant as he is being paid to play footy (ply his trade).
But is being suck at 60k when he could be earning 360k some sort of constraint?

I dont even know whats on law.com but i get there is some concept of being stuck out of the nrl due to being a dev player .... doesnt matter if its the nrl's fault or ours

As i said, i doubt it would ever get near court regardless

emjaycee

Coach
But is being suck at 60k when he could be earning 360k some sort of constraint?

I dont even know whats on law.com but i get there is some concept of being stuck out of the nrl due to being a dev player .... doesnt matter if its the nrl's fault or ours

As i said, i doubt it would ever get near court regardless

I employ sub-contractors at an agreed rate for an agreed period. Just because they can get more from my competition doesn't mean they have the right to sue me - or that I have to increase their rate. They signed the contract at the agreed rate/term so I am within my rights to hold them to it.

If at the time of agreeing to a development contract Brown thought he deserved an NRL top 30 contract at whatever salary, his manager should have negotiated that with us there and then. He took the gamble.

84 Baby

Referee
If at the time of agreeing to a development contract Brown thought he deserved an NRL top 30 contract at whatever salary, his manager should have negotiated that with us there and then. He took the gamble.
This is why I don't get Chippy's tirade. Surely there are clauses in a standard NRL contract including the development contracts that prohibits anyone playing for another club whilst under contract at one club. These standard clauses would have gone through NRL legal, RLPA and the agents themselves before a player/agent/guardian signed off on the contract as well. Barring something unexpected, there is unlikely to be some magic loophole that the courts will agree to some restraint of trade/non-binding contract in a contract that a player has signed off on.
The only feasible possibility would be a clause similar to some ESL contracts that gives the player the right to pursue a full NRL contract, but this isn't a restraint of trade

strider

Post Whore
I employ sub-contractors at an agreed rate for an agreed period. Just because they can get more from my competition doesn't mean they have the right to sue me - or that I have to increase their rate. They signed the contract at the agreed rate/term so I am within my rights to hold them to it.

Not saying anyone will sue us, but maybe a means of getting out of a contract .... theres only so many options open to a nrl player - constraining their opportunities for 6 months could be a setback???

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Clubs must have rocks in their heads to commit so much of their cap on untested teens. Yes Ponga worked out, but may I remind everyone of Ricky’s blunder with Karl Filiga ?

$$Broncos$$ recently signed Payne Haas on a 6 year deal for $3.4m.

Here’s a qn for you merkins, if NZ table Brown a Haas style offer, would you match the deal or let him go ?

Haas was already on a lot of money as he was going into 20's.

I guess a lot of clubs have to take gambles on young players as they can't match the offers for older, more experienced players in the same position. Let's take Brown, and say they've offered him $2 mill over 6 years, that ends up only being approx 330k a year. If he ends up being an elite half in any of those years you've got a great return, even if he ends up being average enough to be your second half you've still going to get some value out of him.

But that's halves, and I'm sure young potentially elite hookers are a similar cost. As you get away from the spine the cost would also decrease but also the risk decreases. Haas is an exceptional talent and already good enough for first grade at 19. That $580k per year (avg) could be chump's change for an average prop in 4 year's time, and there aren't many elite props running around currently imo and it looks like Haas will be one of those.

Really any and every signing is a risk, anything could happen. They could end up being a superstar or they could get consecutive ACL injuries and never play a game of first grade for the club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Most of these promising juniors should of been locked up before Nov 1, I mean we are now going to be a devolpment club are we not???

If we lose a talent like Brown it makes Gurrs statement pretty hollow.
He would’ve been receiving interest from rival clubs long before November. Some merkin with links to junior footy once said that Harold Matts players were told by Roosters recruiters not to sign any extensions with Parra. Because if the Chooks wanted them they would double whatever Parra was offering.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon we will see most of the below in our top 30 in 2020 (and some before)

Brown
Schneider
Parry
Faingaa
Dunster
Afualo
Dresler
Stefano U
Filia U

Is that enough development club results?

I didn't realise Dresler has had to retire due to injuries but here is a top 30 squad (actually only 26) that with some additional players in the weaker spots, could be a 2020 squad for a development club.

Utility: Salmon, Smith
Fullback: - Layoun, French
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings, Sivo, Gutho, Parry, Dunster, Afualo, Aukafolau
Half: - D Brown,
Hooker: - Mahoney, Schneider
Edge forward: Lane, Niukore, Moeroa, Fainga’a,
Tight forward: Brown, Evans, Paulo, Terepo, Kaufusi, S. Utoikamanu, Stone

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The fact is Brown remains unsigned beyond 19. That's a massive joke.
Probably the best development halfback we've had in over a decade - steering the 20s to a gf as a 17 yo.

Wake up and get this done.

We're supposed to be a development club.
He’s contracted for 2020.

Glenneel

Bench
So he said he issues at the time but still wanted to re-sign him? Doesn’t sound like they were big issues or he wouldn’t have tried to re-sign him.

So what were these issues that Toovey said?
Maloney was available at the time for $400k less and a better player (except for defence) and went to Cronulla as BA didn't want him. In retrospect a better choice for him with another premiership.

Latest posts