What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

ThingFish

Juniors
Souths tell players Seibold-Bennett swap won't happen in 2019
Author
Brad WalterNRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 30 Nov 2018, 05:18 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
South Sydney players have been told Anthony Seibold will remain as coach for next season after Wayne Bennett rejected a proposed swap to serve out his final year in charge of Brisbane.

Broncos officials were hoping to confirm Seibold as their new coach on Friday after high-level negotiations involving the club’s major stakeholder, NewsCorp, to facilitate the exchange for next season but Bennett announced he was staying put.

Bennett and Seibold will switch clubs in 2020 but Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson advised captain Greg Inglis and other senior players, including Sam Burgess, John Sutton and Damien Cook, that it would be business as usual next season.

"I have spoken to Seibs and the senior players this afternoon and we are all moving forward in 2019 together," Richardson said.

"I spoke to Greg before he flew out on his holiday and he is really happy, so is Sam and John Sutton and Cookie, so we are in a good space that way.

Mal backs Bennett to succeed at Broncos in 2019

"We’ve just now got to knuckle down in 2019 and get on with the job of trying to win it. That would be the best thing for everyone."

Seibold was at Redfern Oval when Bennett advised Broncos players he would continue at the club next season and the 2018 Dally M coach of the year later flew to Brisbane to attend a fundraising event for his former school and Friday night’s Anthony Mundine-Jeff Horn fight.

While there was speculation he would also be unveiled as the Broncos coach, Richardson insisted Bennett had never made a commitment to Souths that he would take charge next season.

Bennett staying in Brisbane

Both clubs were keen for an immediate swap but Seibold will now oversee Rabbitohs training on Monday and Bennett will remain at the helm of the Broncos.

"At the end of the day it comes down to whether the administration, the coaches and the players can get on with the job, and we can because no one has got a problem with each other," Richardson said.

"There is no animosity between Seibs and I, and there is no animosity between the senior players and Seibs so we will just keep going in the same direction in 2019."

CAFPOW

Juniors
Who ? Merrin again what a joke

They didn't say who. But it look's like Bennet is preparing his team at Souths 1 year before he
arrives.

Btw, Seibold is pissed off at the journos on 9 news. Plus, he said goodbye to our players today according to Pete Badel. Couriermail Chief League Writer.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Bennett has f**ked us. He told Souths last night he was coming next year.
And then had a press conference today saying he is staying at the Broncos without telling Souths anything.
Bennet wants the sack, plain and simple, he wont step down he wants a double pay day he has no intention of just walking away, broncs dont want to give bennet the satisfaction of an extra mill plus 3 players may have agreed to terms but havent signed contracts, they are afraid of bennet walking with 3 players,if they were signed i bet bennet would of been sacked.
But in saying that these players wont sign for more than a year, lodge is touted as nearly signing a multi year deal, i think thats BS he hates seibold he wont stay when he comes in 20,so if he signs a deal more than a year ill give the game away.

handyman2190

Bench
Hey mascot spy, youve said cookie was signed, is this true?
Im wondering why if he is signed it hasnt been anounced, and why the continued speculation

callmack1

Staff member
Well I am super pissed!!!! There's so many conficting rumours and it changes from minute to minute, I honestly don't know what to believe anymore and it's doing my head in!!! It's an absolute joke, it really is!

Sadly, I just don't think this is gonna happen which is a real shame and it annoys me so much. I really though common sense would prevail but obviously not.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Well I am super pissed!!!! There's so many conficting rumours and it changes from minute to minute, I honestly don't know what to believe anymore and it's doing my head in!!! It's an absolute joke, it really is!

Sadly, I just don't think this is gonna happen which is a real shame and it annoys me so much. I really though common sense would prevail but obviously not.

The default position is both coaches are contracted to clubs until officially told otherwise.

Mascot Spy

Juniors
Bennet wants the sack, plain and simple, he wont step down he wants a double pay day he has no intention of just walking away, broncs dont want to give bennet the satisfaction of an extra mill plus 3 players may have agreed to terms but havent signed contracts, they are afraid of bennet walking with 3 players,if they were signed i bet bennet would of been sacked.
But in saying that these players wont sign for more than a year, lodge is touted as nearly signing a multi year deal, i think thats BS he hates seibold he wont stay when he comes in 20,so if he signs a deal more than a year ill give the game away.

The bad thing is that Seibold farewelled the players today
How is he going to coach us next year after that? Im just not sure how

ThingFish

Juniors
On Twitter Peter Badel from Couier Mail Is saying Seibold actually had a meeting with the Souths players saying goodbye and wishin* them well, then literally minutes later was told by Richo that the swap wasn’t happening, AWKWARD. Apparently story in tomorrow’s paper. Who knows what the fnck is happening. All I know is that our players can’t be focused on footy.

Edit- sorry @CAFPOW didnt realise you’d already said this.

CAFPOW

Juniors
On Twitter Peter Badel from Couier Mail Is saying Seibold actually had a meeting with the Souths players saying goodbye and wishin* them well, then literally minutes later was told by Richo that the swap wasn’t happening, AWKWARD. Apparently story in tomorrow’s paper. Who knows what the fnck is happening. All I know is that our players can’t be focused on footy.

Edit- sorry @CAFPOW didnt realise you’d already said this.

It’s cool. No wonder Seibold was pissed off at the media today on 9 news. But why say goodbye to the players without knowing if the swap is 100% happening? Or at least wait for the confirmation from Richo?

Maybe, it’s time for Souths to move on from Bennet and Seibold and go after Jason Demitriou or Adam O’Brien?

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
The bad thing is that Seibold farewelled the players today
How is he going to coach us next year after that? Im just not sure how

And you can bet that of the couple of dozen players in attendance there would have been at least a few that would conveyed their displeasure to him now that he was definitely gone...."something I've always wanted to say to youahhwhat??!! ..minties moment anyone

FaithinHook

Juniors
He is staying mate, He absolutely loves Souths

Stop with the 'inside info' act bud, you don't know jack shit obviously. At least 2 or 3 times you have said this and that, oh "Wayne is def coming next year, take it as fact", and "oh he will be here on Dec 3, without any doubt, take that as read".

You are so full of shit. Stop with the attention seeking behaviour. Are you lonely or something? You obviously know nothing more than the rest of us and your "scoops" all come from whatever journo twitter feed you happen to be reading at the time lol.

southsport

First Grade
Stop with the 'inside info' act bud, you don't know jack shit obviously. At least 2 or 3 times you have said this and that, oh "Wayne is def coming next year, take it as fact", and "oh he will be here on Dec 3, without any doubt, take that as read".

You are so full of shit. Stop with the attention seeking behaviour. Are you lonely or something? You obviously know nothing more than the rest of us and your "scoops" all come from whatever journo twitter feed you happen to be reading at the time lol.
Then tell us oh wise one, who has Cook signed with then?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Why does it make you so angry? This is a rumour thread and if the rumours are true everyone (even Souths officials) were shocked by Wayne Bennett announcing his staying.

Latest posts