What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

possm

Coach
Read somewhere , we are looking at him for 2020 , he is 27 now will be 29 when he comes to us on a 3 year deal . will need time to settle in , not sure if he is what we need to take us to a premiership ... For me if he was to come to us next year I'd be OK , that would give him the time to fit in ....
Why? It does not make sense to me. If we signed him for 2019, the Eels would be obliged to pay part of his salary and so we would be getting him cheap for the first year of his contract. In addition we have the dollars that were set aside for Hanye which indicates we can afford him for 2019.

Having Hunt, Widdop and Norman on the field together would give SGI variety and a large number of options in attack. We would be a very dangerous attacking side.

hazzbeen

Bench
Why? It does not make sense to me. If we signed him for 2019, the Eels would be obliged to pay part of his salary and so we would be getting him cheap for the first year of his contract. In addition we have the dollars that were set aside for Hanye which indicates we can afford him for 2019.

Having Hunt, Widdop and Norman on the field together would give SGI variety and a large number of options in attack. We would be a very dangerous attacking side.
Possm I did say I would prefer to take him starting next year .....

kit66

Bench
Nroman is a brilliant individual player if a little inconsistent but he's never struck me as a leader, more inclined to let others steer the team around and chiming in when he senses an opportunity. I'm not sure that's the type of player I'd be replacing Widdop with. You'd think we could do better , maybe hold off on a big Halves signing until next year, see what pops up - see who's unhappy with their new coach or some young gun, what's the rush. We need outside backs desperately, concentrate on that.

denis preston

First Grade
Sign him for sure on a "what have we got to lose " contract. A contract that has get out clauses for us based on behavioural issues & set targets . 3 years ,Parra pay 50% of first year. Behind our pack he will kill it or get killed by them !

Has the new regime finally found 3rd party money ?

Dragsters

First Grade
I hope we don't get him (norman) . He has to many problems.
When he has his head together he is a very good player. But he has many problems.
The only advantage here he has some great role models to keep him in line.

He is a worry.

I'm more concerned about his slack approach when things aren't going his way.

He has plenty of talent but just seems to go missing to often for my liking...

BLM01

First Grade
Mary is no leader and won't have much to do with keeping Norman focused. It will be our CEO, Coyne and the player leadership team who will do the job; and I believe it will be done well.

If Widdop is not leaving in 2019, Mann surely will be released. If Dufty is being kept at fullback and Widdop at five-eighth then it may be Norman at left centre in defence and a 3rd halves partner out wide in attack. Could be a very effective and dangerous move that has the possibility of many game plan variations.

So, if Widdop's should does not scrub up or if Dufty's game in defence and positional play does not improve, Norman would seem to be the ideal backup player. In addition it gives our NRL team the option of playing Robson off the bench in a triangle role which was done so well by Dean Young in 2009 - 2010.
Message to Possm...Coyne no longer with us

possm

Coach
I keep saying it I think this deal w happen thus season and Norman becomes our no.14 ex factor w Mann to move to Newcastle.
Surely, we aren't paying 800k for a bench player. No way!
Robson can move to left centre if required with Norman moving from left centre to either fullback or in the halves.

Four forwards on the bench if used properly, would keep our forwards fresh. Robson at 14 can rotate with McInnes, rotate with De Belin and substitute at centre if a back gets injured.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Norman signs for 2019, I bet he goes to halfback and Ben Hunt to hooker. McInness would be the one to feel the impact.Hunt did say he wanted to play hooker and he is great in that position. People say hooker is not as important as a half and worth more but try telling Cam Smith and Damien Cook that. They were the reason their teams went well and Hunt can have that type of impact at Saints. McInness is good but Hunt I think has more tricks up his sleeve. And with Hunt providing Widdop and Norman service it will be a pretty awesome spine topped off with Dufty. McInness may be a bench player which I am sure he won't like.

If Widdop leaves in 2020 then Hunt can move back to the halves and McInness to No.9.

possm

Coach
If Norman signs for 2019, I bet he goes to halfback and Ben Hunt to hooker. McInness would be the one to feel the impact.Hunt did say he wanted to play hooker and he is great in that position. People say hooker is not as important as a half and worth more but try telling Cam Smith and Damien Cook that. They were the reason their teams went well and Hunt can have that type of impact at Saints. McInness is good but Hunt I think has more tricks up his sleeve. And with Hunt providing Widdop and Norman service it will be a pretty awesome spine topped off with Dufty. McInness may be a bench player which I am sure he won't like.

If Widdop leaves in 2020 then Hunt can move back to the halves and McInness to No.9.
McInnes is there for his great defence. Take me out of there and replace him with Hunt and the result will be similar to what is happening with Dufty at the back; Hunt will be steam rolled up the middle by opposition forwards.

If McInnes is to be replace, I feel sure it will be Robson who replaces him however, to me a McInnes / Robson rotation would improve things a great deal.

kit66

Bench

Smith makes 45+ tackles a game, Hunt makes 10 and misses 6. I wouldn't be rushing to put Hunt to hooker - only as an absolute last resort. Cam McInness is a very good little hooker and getting better, he doesn't need to be replaced and anyway this isn't our problem right now.
I just saw a story pop up online that we're chasing Norman and the more I think about it the less I like the idea, seems a knee jerk reaction to the Widdop issue. Just not necessary, calm down, take a breath and take a good look at Norman for what he really is - a player this year's Wooden Spooners are trying to dump - there's a reason (s) for that.

getsmarty

Immortal
Parramatta Eels playmaker Corey Norman linked with St George Illawarra Dragons

$
© Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited
Controversial Parramatta five-eighth Corey Norman has been linked with a future move to St George Illawarra to replace homesick England international Gareth Widdop.

It is common knowledge in rugby league circles the Eels have shopped the inconsistent pivot to rival NRL clubs in recent months without success.

But the Dragons have emerged as a possible destination for the 27-year-old, who battled poor form and persistent rumours suggesting he had fallen out of favour with Eels coach Brad Arthur in 2018.

According to News Limited and speculation on social media the Saints are considering signing Norman from 2020, however it is understood a deal could also be on the table for next season.

The Eels were initially hoping to move Norman on before the start of the 2019 NRL campaign in order to clear salary cap space to allow them to re-sign veteran Jarryd Hayne.

Parramatta are no longer interested in bringing Hayne back to the club after he was last month charged with sexual assault but it is understood they may still be willing to release Norman from the final season of his contract.

Ironically, the Dragons were also pursuing Hayne for 2019 and reportedly had around $500,000 in salary cap space to accommodate the dual Dally M medallist.

If the reporting is accurate that figure is $400,000 less than Norman’s whopping $900,000 salary with the Eels for next season.

That means in order for a deal to be reached in time for next season the Eels would likely have to shell out a large chunk of Norman’s pay packet with the Dragons.

Alternatively, if the Dragons agree to release Kurt Mann to the Newcastle Knights, who are attempting to sign the Novocastrian, the joint-venture club would have more cash to potentially throw at Norman.

The former Brisbane Bronco reportedly last month turned down a lucrative four-year offer from English Super League club Huddersfield.

Norman’s gamble to back his abilities and remain in Australia could be rewarded if the Dragons are prepared to offer a long-term deal to replace Widdop, who has expressed his desire to return home to England in 2020.

Meanwhile, young Eels pivot Jaeman Salmon , who is considered Norman’s possible long-term replacement, was charged with low range drink driving on Wednesday following an accident in October.

He will face court in January and appears likely to miss at least one game through suspension over the alleged incident.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...eorge-illawarra-dragons/ar-BBQxA2I?li=AAgfYrC

slippery5

Juniors

The only reason Hunt would want to play 9, is to fit into the starting Qld side & then compete for the Australian team now that Smith has retired, it is a self first attitude as was Dugan when all of a sudden he wanted to play centre as Hayne had the Fullback spot & he thought centrre was his best chance of becoming a Kangaroo. The weakness McNoidea showed from Daley to play him in the centres was obvious as he was part of the coaching staff for NSW at the time.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I watched a couple of highlights reels of Norman last night. He is very good at going to the line and putting a runner through a hole, he could be one of the best in the game at it. He also has composure and a good short kicking game. When I think about it Norman and Cleary would probably be my first 2 choices as halfbacks. If we were to play Norman halfback, then I think he would be a great chance of taking the Qld's halfback role.

Wittenberg

Juniors
A no from me. A a turkey off the field, inconsistent on it and has helped propel to the Eels to so much success over the last few years.....not.