What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann-staying or going ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Another good signing by the Knights and I believe he'll finally excel under a coach that obviously believes in him. I still feel he was screwed by Mary and the Dragons coaching team as a hole plugger and really never given a fair and decent opportunity in ONE position, except the Wing when he top scored for that year.
Good luck Kurt and thanks for being very much a patient team member at the Dragons.

jeffdragon

Bench
Backs (13): Hunt, Nicholls, Aitken, Widdop, Field, Pearson, Periera, Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai, Sailor, Z. Lomax, (Norman?)

Forwards (15): Lawrie, McInnes, JDB, Host, Graham, Latimore, Kerr, K. Sims, T. Sims, Timm, Leilua, Allgood, Vaughan, Robson, Frizell

DS (6): Masters, Saab, Ford, Lovodua, H. Lomax Blacker
Nicholls sailor of the backs dont impress me
Host allgood robson.
The same in the pack

possm

Coach
Nicholls sailor of the backs dont impress me
Host allgood robson.
The same in the pack

Sailor and Robson will end up being good first graders. Nicholls, Host and Allgood make up the numbers and really we should have better players in these spots.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Another good signing by the Knights and I believe he'll finally excel under a coach that obviously believes in him. I still feel he was screwed by Mary and the Dragons coaching team as a hole plugger and really never given a fair and decent opportunity in ONE position, except the Wing when he top scored for that year.
Good luck Kurt and thanks for being very much a patient team member at the Dragons.

Precisely Coffs...... l'm really peeved to lose Mann.
They better have a good replacement coming in.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Good pickup for them now we will see what Mann can do in a more permanent position ....
Yeah agree, this is a big loss. Can cover a lot of position and maybe he didn’t excel in any one position but was never really given a chance to. 2 weeks here 1 week there. F ing disgrace I think. Maybe they should have given him a go in the coaching position as well!! Couldn’t be any worse.

qld redvee

Juniors
Millwards press release seemed strange . the quote of we will be signing a couple of players but they arent at the moment what we are looking for in terms of Kurts replacement . So are they first graders that will HOPEFULLY put pressure on the normal squad members or simply ISP players that are to fill the roster ??????????? And what position does Kurt really fall into or was he deemed utility in which case good luck finding a top shelf utility player that is prepared to sit on the bench and be thrown into any position that the coach thinks needs to be filled...

BLM01

First Grade
It is frustrating I agree. The problem is not the players fault, the fault is with SGI Club officials who are more interested in their own ambitious aims than the best interests of the Club.

Half of the SGI Board have been replaced however, the other half consists of the same old guard that have led the Club into decline over the past 30 odd years.

There is no doubt that our coach is not up to the job but this is tolerated because of backroom deals done for the likes of Ian Millward to hold down his own little empire of pathways and recruitment.

Mann is a very valuable player who has come at a Bargen price. Brownie knows his stuff and can not only coach at NRL level, he can identify and provide a pathway for juniors while at the same time recruit players and deal with player managers.

If we could attract an experienced top line coach who was given the responsibility of overseeing pathways, recruitment and at the same time the authority to choose his own coaching staff, we will be on our way to greatness again.

Millwards press release seemed strange . the quote of we will be signing a couple of players but they arent at the moment what we are looking for in terms of Kurts replacement . So are they first graders that will HOPEFULLY put pressure on the normal squad members or simply ISP players that are to fill the roster ??????????? And what position does Kurt really fall into or was he deemed utility in which case good luck finding a top shelf utility player that is prepared to sit on the bench and be thrown into any position that the coach thinks needs to be filled...
No Millward was playing politician and choosing his words carefully. He said we have not found a suitable replacement for Kurt (i.e. as you say a similar type player which would be true and hard to find). But he did say he wanted an outside back... could be 1-7 position... of better quality.
Lets face it they did not let Mann go and then to say dont panic there is no one in the pipeline but we hope there will be. They have 1-2 replacements in mind or about to announce but cant as deals likely not finalised so they not available officially speaking yet.
And my guess the replacement is not as versatile as Kurt (playing all positions 1-7 + 13) but that was proven to be wastefully utilised properly by the coach and to Kurt detriment. No big loss for me as an average player but no stand out....as long as we will sign at least 1 very good top line outside back..or now 2...with 1 spot to fill we are in a better team personnel position than 2018.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Only the Dragons would relinquish and not replace.

I had held the belief that Peter Mullholland was worst ever recruitment officer in SGI history, but Millward is definitely giving him a run for his money.

It’s an absolute shambles.

Dragon for life

Juniors
No Millward was playing politician and choosing his words carefully. He said we have not found a suitable replacement for Kurt (i.e. as you say a similar type player which would be true and hard to find). But he did say he wanted an outside back... could be 1-7 position... of better quality.
Lets face it they did not let Mann go and then to say dont panic there is no one in the pipeline but we hope there will be. They have 1-2 replacements in mind or about to announce but cant as deals likely not finalised so they not available officially speaking yet.
And my guess the replacement is not as versatile as Kurt (playing all positions 1-7 + 13) but that was proven to be wastefully utilised properly by the coach and to Kurt detriment. No big loss for me as an average player but no stand out....as long as we will sign at least 1 very good top line outside back..or now 2...with 1 spot to fill we are in a better team personnel position than 2018.
I don’t think he was given the chance to stand out but for me he had more attacking ability then Lafia or Aitken and we’re keeping both of them! A player of his utility value is almost irreplaceable He was solid wherever you put him in my eyes.

Crush

Coach
OK guys and gals, with Kurt Mann now officially gone, who are we going to choose to be the forum favourite that can do no wrong?
I reckon Lomax will take Kurt's position as forum favourite.
He's certain to be overlooked for selection round 1 and that will make him an immediate superstar when he finally gets selected due to injury to Aitken or Lafai.

goggles

Juniors
OK guys and gals, with Kurt Mann now officially gone, who are we going to choose to be the forum favourite that can do no wrong?
I reckon Lomax will take Kurt's position as forum favourite.
He's certain to be overlooked for selection round 1 and that will make him an immediate superstar when he finally gets selected due to injury to Aitken or Lafai.

Crush, you've had Mary firmly entrenched in that role for the last few years! How many nominations do you want to put froward?

possm

Coach
Only the Dragons would relinquish and not replace.

I had held the belief that Peter Mullholland was worst ever recruitment officer in SGI history, but Millward is definitely giving him a run for his money.

It’s an absolute shambles.
It's nice to agree with you on something Saint_JimmyG

Crush

Coach
Crush, you've had Mary firmly entrenched in that role for the last few years! How many nominations do you want to put froward?
Hey Goggles, hope you are well, been a while.
I don't think Mary can be called a "forum" favourite. Far from it I'd suggest?
I'm going to pay particular attention to Mann now at Knights though. I tell you what, he will be playing in a very good team by the looks of it, they have some real quality in that squad now. If ever there was a chance for him to become a household name then this is it mate.

Latest posts