What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann-staying or going ?

possm

Coach
I don’t think he was given the chance to stand out but for me he had more attacking ability then Lafia or Aitken and we’re keeping both of them! A player of his utility value is almost irreplaceable He was solid wherever you put him in my eyes.

I'd say that most recruitment managers would not have signed Aitken and Lafai long term given their form over previous years. Now we are paying for this stupid decision and will do so till end of contracts because I'm sure no other club will pick them up.

It's looking more and more like SGI are singing Norman up for 2020, using Widdop's salary cap to make it happen. I hope the Club at least signs R Jennings for one of our wing spots; he is unwanted and available now.

goggles

Juniors
Hey Goggles, hope you are well, been a while.
I don't think Mary can be called a "forum" favourite. Far from it I'd suggest?
I'm going to pay particular attention to Mann now at Knights though. I tell you what, he will be playing in a very good team by the looks of it, they have some real quality in that squad now. If ever there was a chance for him to become a household name then this is it mate.

It has been a while Crush... I'm good, I hope you are as well?
I rate Brown and quietly hoped he would come back here a few years ago, but alas, he ended up at the knights. I think hooker could be a really good position for Mann and wish him all the best.
Milne has ended up over at the Warriors this year too... another one that (surprise, surprise) I think will do quite well.
P.s. I was talking about Mary being more of a "Crush" favourite than a "forum" favourite... and it seems you have a few like minded posters in here these days!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think Mary is an excellent Coach.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Crush

Coach
It has been a while Crush... I'm good, I hope you are as well?
I rate Brown and quietly hoped he would come back here a few years ago, but alas, he ended up at the knights. I think hooker could be a really good position for Mann and wish him all the best.
Milne has ended up over at the Warriors this year too... another one that (surprise, surprise) I think will do quite well.
P.s. I was talking about Mary being more of a "Crush" favourite than a "forum" favourite... and it seems you have a few like minded posters in here these days!
Milne will have some stiff competition over there in kiwi land, they can't seem to put it all together but generally don't lack talented backs, if he makes it over in NZ then he really does have what it takes, I'm sceptical (surprise, surprise)
Mann, well we will see, maybe its a stroke of genius from Brownie.
On Mary, dont know that he is a "crush" favorite. I do often find myself defending him somewhat though due to the ridiculous stuff that gets said in here at times. I don't think he is a good coach, especially some of his player selections, but I don't think every problem that ever was is because of him. Anyways, I'm not going to argue about Mary during the off season, leave that for footy season.
Keep a close eye on recruitment this week, I reckon it could be very interesting indeed.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Only the Dragons would relinquish and not replace.

I had held the belief that Peter Mullholland was worst ever recruitment officer in SGI history, but Millward is definitely giving him a run for his money.

It’s an absolute shambles.
I thought Craig Young was our worst recruitment officer. Mulholland didn't do much either. As for Millward, I think he is doing a pretty good job, considering our lack of TPA's. I think Norman is a great replacement for Widdop. If we sign Jennings then we will have replaced McDonald with an adequate replacement. I would still like us to sign another genuine first grade prop and another good centre. I think we should be shopping Aitken and Lafai and replacing them with at least one quality centre, if one became available.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I thought Craig Young was our worst recruitment officer. Mulholland didn't do much either. As for Millward, I think he is doing a pretty good job, considering our lack of TPA's. I think Norman is a great replacement for Widdop. If we sign Jennings then we will have replaced McDonald with an adequate replacement. I would still like us to sign another genuine first grade prop and another good centre. I think we should be shopping Aitken and Lafai and replacing them with at least one quality centre, if one became available.

To each their own, I suppose.

I think you’ll be disappointed when Saints announce...eventually...through a press statement that recruitment has been completed for 2019.

Time will tell.

Personally, I believe Widdop and Norman is chalk and cheese in ability.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's nice to agree with you on something Saint_JimmyG

The balance of probabilities suggest it was going to happen eventually.

You (and others) don’t have to agree with my thoughts; just don’t be a dick like that “Avis” moron.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh goodie, you've stepped down a level from name calling to sexism..

Enjoy your night..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Oh goodie, you've stepped down a level from name calling to sexism..

Enjoy your night..

Oh dear, are your sensitivities offended?

Perhaps you’ll refrain from following the vast majority of my posts in future? It would so grand if you did as much. As the old adage goes, “if you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen”.

Is it too late to change your moniker from Avis to Tontine?

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Release sees Knights get their Mann
Dragons Den
r0_0_3085_2056_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GONE: St George Illawarra have released utility Kurt Mann, allowing him to immediately take up a three-year deal with Newcastle. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

ST GEORGE Illawarra will continue to focus their recruitment efforts on finding a quality outside back after releasing utility Kurt Mann to immediately link with Newcastle.

Mann joined the Dragons from Melbourne in 2016, playing 62 games in three seasons, but his utility value saw him struggle to earn a regular starting spot.

The release allows the 25-year-old to take up a three-year deal with the club that first recruited him from Wilton in Queensland as a teenager.

It will leave the Dragons with valuable funds in their salary cap and three spots to fill in their top 30 after Nene Macdonald was also released over the off-season.

Club recruitment chief Ian Millward said the club remains on the hunt for a back to address the Dragons thin outside back stocks.

"We have been in dialogue with Kurt and his management for a long period of time," Millward said.

"He was offered a long-term contract and more security in regards to his playing minutes and being a starting player. We understood his desires regarding this, one he's been persistent about.

"At this point, we haven't found a suitable replacement – we're still on the lookout for someone – but we feel we're in a much better position financially, and we will be ready to move those funds when the right person becomes available.”

The Dragons have been strongly linked to Eels play-maker Corey Norman, perhaps as a long-term replacement for skipper Gareth Widdop.

Mann’s release will send those rumurs into overdrive but Millward said the immediate priority remains an outside back option.

"The market dictates a lot what you're looking for as well as clubs and player movement,” he said.

“We're still on the lookout for an outside back of some quality.”

Mann thanked the Dragons for allowing him to take up the pursuit of more regular starting minutes.

"I am very appreciative to the Dragons for allowing me the opportunity to shore up my long-term future in the NRL by agreeing to release me,” Mann said.

“It wasn't an easy decision, it has meant so much to have worn the red v jumper.

“I've formed many lifelong friendships over the years I've spent at the Dragons, and I wish them all the best in the coming season.”

Having spent most of his time in the top-grade as utility back, Mann found an unexpected new role in Paul McGregor’s middle-forward rotation last season.

It’s a switch that’s seen him strongly tipped to the wear the No. 9 for the Knights in 2019, with coach Nathan Brown believing he has a future at dummy-half.

“We identified Kurt as a player of interest quite some time ago,” Brown said.

"We believe he has the potential to become a hooker and his ability to play a range of positions is an added bonus in today's game.

“Kurt expressed a desire to secure a regular position and he'll be given every opportunity to do that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5803439/release-sees-knights-get-their-mann/?cs=3713

ouryears

Bench
Happy for Mann, I will watch him with interest.
However, for me it is no loss, he hasn’t hit his straps with us, for whatever the reason.
Onwards and upwards

Latest posts