What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decline of quality in the NRL

T-Boon

Coach
I’m just worried that if participation is low now. Then in 10 years it’s only going to get worse. Something needs to be done pronto. As nobody seems to worried about it. Players like Smith, Thurston, Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Hayne and Hodges came as juniors during the Tina Turner era.

I think the game needs to keep going backwards before it starts going forwards. Like a drug addict (which the NRL essentially is - the clubs are totally addicted to TV money). The game needs to hit rock bottom and the faster the better. Then get the essentials right and start building again.

Fangs

Coach
i dont think participation levels has anything to do with who sings the NRL theme song,
it has to do with 3 things.

1 - its unaffordable for families
2 - the parents think its unsafe
3 - bad club culture

Correctus.

I know if x2 under 10s players who went to AFL this year so they wouldn't get belted by kids twice their size playing Junior Rugby league.

Bit soft but ya know.

The Rosco

Bench
These @adamkungl alts are out of control now
Funny, just last week I asked if homoman was Albert's gay alt. Not that there's anything wrong with Albert having a gay alt.
FFS, he's got that many personalities floating around up there that one of them had to be at least bi-curious.
So is it a tripolar issue ?
Who are the 2 blokes in the avatar ? . . . if it's Albert and Adam, I'm giving up.
But on a serious note . . . I put the participation decline down to agenda biased coaching methods.
Tunnel ball and congratulatory slaps on the bum are not facets of our great game that need rote learning.
Most of the kiddies don't need those skills.
Let's get Albert's opinion. Maybe French coaches ?

The Rosco

Bench
ive coached jnr league for a while now. The NRL are really on to us to make it more fun. Apparently participation is at an all time low. I know that some great players have retired. It just seems like the quality of players will be down this season. It’s like their is not enough haves or hookers to go around. Also look at the origin teams. I’m just worried that if participation is low now. Then in 10 years it’s only going to get worse. Something needs to be done pronto. As nobody seems to worried about it. Players like Smith, Thurston, Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Hayne and Hodges came as juniors during the Tina Turner era. Maybe a big name singer from the states could be the answer. A massive advertising blitz. What else could we do?
Very interesting and thought provoking. You have 16 likes.
How the fkk ??!! let's see . . . . .5 from Wittyfan, 5 each from Albert and Adam, and the last one from Ozdragon the trans table leg.

There is a problem with lack of tours to France by Australian schoolboys and return trips to Australia by French schoolboys. If young Australians knew that French boys played the game, and that a free trip to Perpignan and Toulouse was possible if they played well, then they would be more enthusiastic.

Dogs Of War

Coach
i dont think participation levels has anything to do with who sings the NRL theme song,
it has to do with 3 things.

1 - its unaffordable for families
2 - the parents think its unsafe
3 - bad club culture

1. I think NRL is priced very competitively for juniors to play the sport. Soccer is like 4 times the price for a season, Rugby Union twice the price. AFL is the only sport at that level that is priced better.

2. I think the NRL should be asking for some contra advertising to promote the different forms of the sport at junior levels to promote that it is safe to play at junior levels during NRL games (maybe even during the day when stay at home mums might be about). Though these days the biggest obstacle is that kids just have so many other options like the internet and consoles that weren't around 20 years ago. Kids just don't play as much pick me up games of footy as they used to. Geez getting them outside is an effort.

3. I think this rounds back into number 2. You need to promote the good club cultures of junior rugby league clubs. Show you are part of those club communities, which is a good thing for kids (and parents).

siv

First Grade
While in general top players will still be top players

I agree there has been a drop just below this level

The biggest contributer has been the huge gap between junior ststem and First Grade

In the past we used to have 8 layers

FG - RG - U23 - U21 - U19 - U17 - U15 plus second division

Today we have

FG - RG - U20 - U18 - U16 plus second division layer( RMC / Qld Cup)

I see the lack of a modern U22 layer having the biggest contributing effect

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
ive coached jnr league for a while now. The NRL are really on to us to make it more fun. Apparently participation is at an all time low. I know that some great players have retired. It just seems like the quality of players will be down this season. It’s like their is not enough haves or hookers to go around. Also look at the origin teams. I’m just worried that if participation is low now. Then in 10 years it’s only going to get worse. Something needs to be done pronto. As nobody seems to worried about it. Players like Smith, Thurston, Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Hayne and Hodges came as juniors during the Tina Turner era. Maybe a big name singer from the states could be the answer. A massive advertising blitz. What else could we do?
Metallica

Jerseys with bandanna print patterns are the answer. Every kid wants to be a gangsta, and bandanna print is a big part of that appeal.

Latest posts