What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Great Britain side is set to tour the southern hemisphere in 2019, with rugby league bosses hoping to finalise the details "in the next few weeks".

Great Britain have not played a Test since 2007, while it would be the first full Lions tour since 1996.

The Lions will face New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea.

"There is a demand for it in the southern hemisphere, lots of people love the brand," said Rugby Football League chief executive Ralph Rimmer.

"Hopefully we'll bring it out in a four-year cycle. It's time to dust it off and get it out there."

However, Great Britain will not meet Australia, who are set to tour England in 2020.
Rimmer told BBC Sport there is "one item of commercial business to get done" regarding sponsorship, but that "everything looks to be moving in a positive direction".

The Rugby League International Federation board says the tour is subject to consultation with the major playing leagues and the players' representatives, and is part of an eight-year rolling contract approved in principle.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/46172192

Burns

First Grade
That article is a month old now which says it would all be 'finalised in coming weeks'. If we get nothing next week, we won't have dates this year.

Coastbloke

Bench
I would imagine Kiwis, Tonga and Samoa will be in NZ.
PNG and Fiji to be in Pt Moresby and Suva respectively.
Is it just the 1 match against the Kiwis?

hutch

First Grade
I would imagine Kiwis, Tonga and Samoa will be in NZ.
PNG and Fiji to be in Pt Moresby and Suva respectively.
Is it just the 1 match against the Kiwis?
Fiji SHOULD be played in Suva, but I read all games are in nz except the png one!

batley

Juniors
After the last WC fiasco it's no wonder the Aussies don't want a bar of the tour.Did they make a loss on the WC?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Fiji SHOULD be played in Suva, but I read all games are in nz except the png one!

If that is the case, that is exactly what is wrong with our interntional game. Why is it not played in Fiji it would do so much good for the game there, but alas we are a business and we must make a profit and play in Auckland, Parramatta or Leeds. Sad...............

Perth Red

Post Whore
If that is the case, that is exactly what is wrong with our interntional game. Why is it not played in Fiji it would do so much good for the game there, but alas we are a business and we must make a profit and play in Auckland, Parramatta or Leeds. Sad...............

Players want paying, costs need to be covered. Sadly a game in Fiji is unviable for a tier one nation at the moment.

milton

Juniors
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ru...himself-to-make-great-britain-squad-1-9519331

Wigan Warriors’ Welsh prop Flower backs himself to make Great Britain squad Ben Flower during Wigan's training camp in the Lake District

PHIL WILKINSON Published: 15:49 Thursday 03 January 2019

Ben Flower has revealed his big wish for the new year – getting a place in the reformed Great Britain squad. The 2019 campaign will culminate with a Lions tour Down Under, although venues and dates have yet to be confirmed. It will be the first time playing under the GB banner since it was shelved in 2007 and the presence of Flower – and any other Welshmen – would ensure it is not just an England side playing under a different name. “International rugby league needs to step itself back up and get there, and I think bringing the Lions back will boost that,” said Flower, 31. “I think a lot of people have been wanting so see it come back for a long time now.” England have a number of quality props, with the likes of James Graham, Chris Hill, George Burgess and Luke Thompson. And Flower has backed himself to earn a spot in Wayne Bennett’s squad for Tests against New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea. He said: “I think if I can play how I did last year and how I’ve been playing for the last few years, I don’t think there’s a reason why I can’t get in. “I feel I’m as good as anyone in Super League in my position. “But it all comes down to performance and crucially not being injured. “It’ll be awesome if I get picked and all I can do is play my best to get that spot.” St Helens winger Regan Grace could be another Welshman in the mix.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Players want paying, costs need to be covered. Sadly a game in Fiji is unviable for a tier one nation at the moment.

And this is where Australia should step in to help. I know the NRL don't have to, but they have the money and unless we get the funds from somewhere the game will never grow. It will be a claytons international game.

Pommy

Coach
And this is where Australia should step in to help. I know the NRL don't have to, but they have the money and unless we get the funds from somewhere the game will never grow. It will be a claytons international game.

Why because games aren’t being played in Suva?
What sports are going to be playing friendlies in the pacific islands?
For all Australia have a lot to answer for when it comes to international league it’s not for them to bank roll everyone else.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No it's not I know. However if they want the game to grow they need to help as they are really the only country with money.....

Springs09

Juniors

Bullshit it is. Australia played in Fiji last year. Were all the flights, hotels and so on free?

When exactly is a game in Fiji suddenly going to become 'viable'?

Just rubbish excuses. We could easily do it, and I don't see how a midweek game in NZ against Fiji in front of no one will somehow make money compared to a game in Fiji. The benefits from a game in Fiji outweighs any small financial loss there might be.

Latest posts