What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If the World nines is given the same exposure and publicity as State of origin it will be a great success. These dudes have stuffed up with no Lions test in Australia so this is their out to save face I would suggest. For a start I will be attending provided ticket prices are reasonable for myself and my sports loving daughter.

If anything is given the same exposure as origin it is likely to be a huge success. But the exposure comes because of the amount of revenue it generates. Do you think that Origin had this amount of marketing and hype around it in the 80's?

Start the world 9's and build it (just like Origin) and when it is able to generate millions, then the media train will clamour to cover it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
? Think you will find that this is a two yearly tournament? Death riding it already. Not very positive PR! As you are aware I'm more for the Kangaroos playing the touring Great Britain team . However this is what the administrators have gone with. Mind you I don't think this tournament should be isolated to just Pay Tv coverage. It should be a simulcast coverage at minimum. With the new stadium as the venue and decent publicity,I believe it should be a success. Like I have stated this tournament is their 'out' for not hosting the Lions in Australia. It will be intriguing to watch how the World Nines is publicised and marketed !

Again - no FTA TV companies bid for it. Do you want it to be given away for free by the RLIF to channel 9 and flush their revenue down the toilet? Revenue they need to develop the game around the world?

And no, the 9's world cup is not a two-yearly tournament. It will be held once every four years like the 13's world cup.

Stallion

First Grade
Again - no FTA TV companies bid for it. Do you want it to be given away for free by the RLIF to channel 9 and flush their revenue down the toilet? Revenue they need to develop the game around the world?

And no, the 9's world cup is not a two-yearly tournament. It will be held once every four years like the 13's world cup.

Glad you informed of the Nines 4 year cycle. Even better! So PR has referred to it as a passing yearly failure. That's clearly not the case. And the 4 year cycle is very positive. Think the marketing people should be able to use that fact to their advantage if they promote the tournament right.

Valheru

Coach
? Think you will find that this is a two yearly tournament? Death riding it already. Not very positive PR! As you are aware I'm more for the Kangaroos playing the touring Great Britain team . However this is what the administrators have gone with. Mind you I don't think this tournament should be isolated to just Pay Tv coverage. It should be a simulcast coverage at minimum. With the new stadium as the venue and decent publicity,I believe it should be a success. Like I have stated this tournament is their 'out' for not hosting the Lions in Australia. It will be intriguing to watch how the World Nines is publicised and marketed !

You have been told multiple times that no FTA channel bid for it.

Are you suggesting that they should be made to bid for something they don't want? Perhaps you believe the big bad rugby union is behind no FTA broadcaster?

The big bash also wasn't originally on FTA, it was pay TV exclusive and after a couple of years FTA joined the party as they realised the value.

If the 9s are a hit on Pay TV then FTA may well bid for it in the future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Glad you informed of the Nines 4 year cycle. Even better! So PR has referred to it as a passing yearly failure. That's clearly not the case. And the 4 year cycle is very positive. Think the marketing people should be able to use that fact to their advantage if they promote the tournament right.

I stand corrected. Lets see if it happens more than once in this case! The Int Rl calendar is an ever moving feast, if it survives more than two occasions it will be doing well!

Perth Red

Post Whore

Are you suggesting that they should be made to bid for something they don't want? Perhaps you believe the big bad rugby union is behind no FTA broadcaster?

The big bash also wasn't originally on FTA, it was pay TV exclusive and after a couple of years FTA joined the party as they realised the value.

Not if it is only every 4 years, thats a lot of time in between to forget about it!

Pommy

Coach
I'm pretty sure their are other subsidiary channels(like nineGO or 7mate )that could cover the World nines on FTA . With fittingly the finals being covered on the main channel. This would be a positive outcome. Simulcast ofcourse. The more people being able to see an international tournament featuring rugbyleague the better!

The problem is pay TV would then pay less and if it’s going to be on 7mate or the like it probably wouldn’t cover the reduced fee they will get from pay TV.
Is Rugby 7s on FTA?

Stallion

First Grade

Their is a precedent of such rugby league tournaments being televised on Free to air tv.In fact the Sydney sevens was very successfully and the Auckland Nines also had FTA coverage. (not every year but at least once) Rugby league being a great and proven tv product should not be an outcast for such coverage. The game is good and it attracts eyeballs !

Stallion

First Grade
The problem is pay TV would then pay less and if it’s going to be on 7mate or the like it probably wouldn’t cover the reduced fee they will get from pay TV.
Is Rugby 7s on FTA?
Trust Me Union 7s and for that matter union in general does not rate on tv. We are discussing very different products. One is attractive (RL ) and one is not (RU) Get that clear in your mind and things will be so much better for us 'rugby-league' fans!

Stallion

First Grade
Their is a precedent of such rugby league tournaments being televised on Free to air tv.In fact the Sydney sevens was very successfully and the Auckland Nines also had FTA coverage. (not every year but at least once) Rugby league being a great and proven tv product should not be an outcast for such coverage. The game is good and it attracts eyeballs !

The BBL cricket is mostly simulcast. That is both a strategic and business decision. Surely Australia's most popular sports tv product (RL) can harness decent coverage for such an international tournament!? That would also be a business savvy and positive strategic move.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The BBL cricket is mostly simulcast. That is both a strategic and business decision. Surely Australia's most popular sports tv product (RL) can harness decent coverage for such an international tournament!? That would also be a business savvy and positive strategic move.

Did you read the numerous posts that have told you fta weren’t interested in buying the coverage?

Pommy

Coach
Trust Me Union 7s and for that matter union in general does not rate on tv. We are discussing very different products. One is attractive (RL ) and one is not (RU) Get that clear in your mind and things will be so much better for us 'rugby-league' fans!

How well does 9s rate? Got any figures to say it does better than Rugby 7s?
Personally I’m not that hyped for the 9s. I may go but it will depend on money and go tonAuckland for the lions will be my priority.

Stallion

First Grade
Did you read the numerous posts that have told you fta weren’t interested in buying the coverage?

Lol. Like you have labored on before there was absolutely no source or link (as you put it) to that claim. I would think it commercially incompetent and reeking of administrative failure if the most popular football code is not seen as a good tv ratings prospect!

Stallion

First Grade
How well does 9s rate? Got any figures to say it does better than Rugby 7s?
Personally I’m not that hyped for the 9s. I may go but it will depend on money and go tonAuckland for the lions will be my priority.

Shame you haven't been afforded the opportunity to see the Lions play the Kangaroos in Australia . An absolutely pathetic mistake from rugby league ! Speaking to a female executive last night and she was astounded at this information. She said: "And the British Lions are travelling all the way down here and they aren't playing Australia! ? That doesn't make sense! ?" I told her the Australian rugby league didn't think it's commercially viable. She countered "What a load of crap! Those administrators have no idea!".....

Pommy

Coach
Shame you haven't been afforded the opportunity to see the Lions play the Kangaroos in Australia . An absolutely pathetic mistake from rugby league ! Speaking to a female executive last night and she was astounded at this information. She said: "And the British Lions are travelling all the way down here and they aren't playing Australia! ? That doesn't make sense! ?" I told her the Australian rugby league didn't think it's commercially viable. She countered "What a load of crap! Those administrators have no idea!".....

Didn’t happen.

Valheru

Coach

It doesn't matter what happened in the mid 90s.

The fact is the FTA providers don't have to bid for it so i ask again, do you believe they should be forced to bid?

Stallion

First Grade
I am very disappointed but the world keeps spinning.

It's reassuring that you are very dissapoinTed! Showing this and expressing your concern looks a tad bit too difficult. This decision, to my eye, is one of the most innept scheduling (or lack of) mistakes in recent times. It deserves alot more criticism as if the administrators can get away with this massive mistake thenot it doesn't look good for future scheduling plans for international rugby league. Let their be no doubt that this decision to not have the Lions play the Kangaroos in Australia during their southern tour is one of the worst calls for a long time. As someone else put it "It's embarassing!"

Latest posts