What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

DragonJ

Juniors
Widdop at fullback is an almost 1mil a year experiment. I know he played well against Fiji and PNG (or was it Tonga?) at fullback and was rubbish against Australia. Which actually corresponds to how he has generally played for us over the last 5 years. The epitome of a flat track bully.

And the kicker is that even if this very expensive experiment works out, he is gone at years end. Any team not managed by pea-brained morons would have sent Widdop on his way by now.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
What would you do with Dufty this year?
What's your spine look like?

1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes/Robson

I don't have a spot for Dufty while we're carrying Norman and Widdop in the same squad. Reason being, Widdop could be immensely dangerous for us at fullback, and you can't have Norman in the 14 jersey, he's far too good for that. Nor could you have Norman at fullback, because he's actually just not a very good fullback.
The 14 should be Robson's spot too.

Dufty can take a step back this year and improve some of the weaknesses in his game, because we're going to f**king need him in 2020.

DragonJ

Juniors
1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes/Robson

I don't have a spot for Dufty while we're carrying Norman and Widdop in the same squad. Reason being, Widdop could be immensely dangerous for us at fullback, and you can't have Norman in the 14 jersey, he's far too good for that. Nor could you have Norman at fullback, because he's actually just not a very good fullback.
The 14 should be Robson's spot too.

Dufty can take a step back this year and improve some of the weaknesses in his game, because we're going to f**king need him in 2020.
No way in hell Norman is anything other than #6. Surely not even McIdiot wouldn't consider anything else. Widdop might work out at #1 if both of the new, 'fast' wingers work out. If only 1 works out and provided the centre pairing is two of Lomax, Lafai or Aitken, this will be an unbelievably slow team. Frizz will be the second fastest guy in the team. Sims or Vaughan 3rd:rolleyes:.

Gardenia

Juniors
Because
1. Not tall enough
2. Not heavy enough
3. Does not take bombs confidently enough (yet)
4. Does not run straight enough (yet)
5. Not strong enough (yet)
6. Does not believe in himself enough to run through a tackle or defenders (needs gaps and holes) - yet
7. Does not know how to go to the ground quick enough without slowing right down and getting his body in a position where they can get underneath him and throw him to the side lines or in goal.....or he would just have to fall over and voluntary tackle....not great for getting you sets started from on the line or bustling your way over the line contortioining your body to score

But he is fast enough!
Work out do positives outweigh negatives and you will have your answer. Not even worth a trial based on 2018 and he has never played there before..and at 23... big move!
Fullback is his spot with work on Items 3-6 above he can be an elite fullback but never a winger

I’m convinced.
Actually item 7 convinced me the most as I’ve seen it up close in action ( getting underneath him throwing him to the side line ) .
He’s bulking up but yes he needs to work on running straight and especially taking bombs .
It’s exciting to watch him run he has a lot of potential.

Gardenia

Juniors
What is the debate here about, people? We have Norman to replace Widdop. Judging by the games I have seen him play against us, great move! So WTF is the bald idiot keeping Widdop around for? Any decent, even half hard nosed coach would tell Widdop he f**ks off now or plays the year in the ISP.

Widdop was supposed to be a marquee signing 5 years ago. How have we fared in those 5 years? By telling him to f**k off, we have nothing to lose. To gain we have a huge amount of money for an outside back and if we can't snare a big name with that, a lesser name and upgrade/extension of a few of the most promising rookies coming through.

Of course it's just a dream of mine. Just as possm dreams of us signing every decent player on the market now or in the not too distant future, I dream of the team not being managed by pea-brained morons.
Widdop might do his shoulder again anyway but that doesn’t help us with the $$

getsmarty

Immortal
Opportunity knocks for Dragons in 2019: McGregor
Local Sport
r0_0_6000_4000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: Dragons coach Paul McGregor believes he has all the pieces in place for a legitimate title charge in 2019. Picture: Dragons Media
Pressure is a privilege. It’s one of Dragons coach Paul McGregor’s favourite phrases, one he often leans on in what is the NRL’s hottest coaching seat.

By that mark he’ll lead a privileged life in 2019, a year that’s already seen it’s fair share of distractions off the park several months before a ball is kicked.

The fact he’s also off-contract, something he’s sure to field regular questions about, is another headache.

That pressure will only ramp up if the on-field performances don’t meet expectations, but the man himself sees 2019 as a golden opportunity.

Reaching week two of the finals last season, where they were edged out by Souths by a point, was the club’s best result since 2011.

A memorable 48-18 win over Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium was the club’s first finals win since its premiership year in 2010. The result is a roster that is undoubtedly premiership ready.

That window people talk about is open. It merely adds to that pressure McGregor’s so grateful for, but it’s a much better place to be in when than he first took the job as a care-taker in mid-2014.

McGregor went over that fact, and a host of others in a wide-ranging chat with The Mercury ahead of his fifth season as head coach.

THE PREMIERSHIP WINDOW

In McGregor’s five-year tenure he and recruitment manager Ian Millward have overseen dramatic turnover in the club's roster.

It brings unprecedented stability and, crucially, it’s a roster with far more big-game experience than last season.

They went into last year’s finals series with a collective 39 games of finals experience. Take out James Graham and Ben Hunt’s 24 games and the number dropped to 14.

Should they get there this year they’ll take a bank of 87 post-season matches. Similarly at Origin level, the roster now has 19 Origins to its name. It had just six ahead of the 2018 season.

We’re very close to having it right. People say it takes time to get excellence and I think we’ve got to catch it this year because we’re ready.

Paul McGregor
“There’s only four players left from when I first started coaching in 15,” McGregor said.

“I had Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Gareth Widdop and Euan Aitken who was a 19-year-old kid. Everyone else is gone.

“It’s taken a few years to get the depth we’ve got, bring the juniors through that we need and have that balance of youth and experience.

“We’re very close to having it right. People say it takes time to get excellence and I think we’ve got to catch it this year because we’re ready.”

THE SPINE

Earlier this week the Dragons confirmed skipper Gareth Widdop will depart for the English Super League at the end of the coming season.

The release from the final two years of his contract was contingent on finding a suitable replacement, something the club did in signing Corey Norman to a three-year deal.

r0_0_6000_4000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TALENT: Corey Norman will add another dimension to the Dragons attack in 2019 after becoming a late acquisition for the club in the wake of Gareth Widdop's planned departure. Picture: Dragons Media

He shapes as the long-term halves partner for Ben Hunt, but his arrival in time for the 2019 season – a deal largely subsidised by former club Parramatta – will see him play alongside Widdop.

Incumbent No. 1 Matt Dufty also remains on deck, presenting a welcome selection headache. It’s a silver lining to Widdop’s departure that McGregor says his side have to cash in on.

“It’s a bit of a different situation because we’ve got another quality player who’s come to us from another club that only became available late,” he said.

“We’re very fortunate to be in the position we are with having the quality we do have for 12 months, and it’s only for 12 months.

“We’ve really got to take advantage. They could all be on the field at the same time. It can’t be anything but exciting.”

THE ‘MAY PREMIERS’ TAG

The discussion around the Dragons mid-season form has been so persistent – largely within the club’s own fanbase – it’s had the look of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Dragons led the competition for 13 of the first 14 weeks last season before winning one of six games to drop out of the top four for the first time in round 24, ultimately finishing seventh.

It will leave an asterisk next to their name should they produce another characteristically fast start to the season, but McGregor isn’t about to waste time preparing for a possible slump.

“At the end of any season everyone’s got something they would have liked to have done better,” he said.

“For us it was winning one more game and finishing in the top four. We had a vision we wanted to finish top four and we fell a game short.

“We improved, we showed we’re the type of team that can beat anyone. In 2017 our first back to back losses came in round seven and eight, in 2018 it was round 18-19.

“There was one win between first and eighth. There’s games we could’ve won, there’s no doubt about that. There were four games where our effort didn’t match our potential.

“We’ve looked at what we did those weeks and what we need to do better. You don’t know what’s next, what you can do is learn from the experience of past years and we’re doing that.

“It’s the best teacher and the experience of 2018, the adversity and harsh lessons, will only strengthen our resilience.”

THE ORIGIN DRAIN

r0_0_4320_2916_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH STRETCH: The 2018 State of Origin Series was an emotional roller coaster for Dragons half Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP

There’s no doubt Origin commitments played at least some part in the Dragons late-season wobbles. The club contributed five players to the series, four of whom played all three matches.

Only Frizell had experienced the strain of the taxing rep period before, with de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims all playing in their first series.

It was also Ben Hunt’s first full series having debuted in in game three, 2017. His journey through the series was a well-publicised roller coaster.

McGregor is confident club staff and the players concerned are now equipped with the experience to best navigate that stretch in 2019.

“Every year is a different year with different circumstances,” he said.

“Who would have thought last year that we’d have five Origin reps, which was the highest of any team in the competition, when most experts tipped us to miss the eight.

“Every player’s different you don’t know how any player will respond until they play through it.

“Paul Vaughan came out of Origin better than any player then he got injured. We gave Friz a rest, Jack de Belin was on of our best players in the finals.

“We’re better for that experience. In the end [poor] health hurt us but the experience players got through the Origin series is only going to help us.”

RUNNING DEEP

r0_0_3572_2767_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUCH: Injuries, including Gareth Widdop's dislocated shoulder, struck at the wrong time for the Dragons last season. Picture: AAP

If the Origin period proved anything for the Dragons it was the importance of depth after untimely injuries derailed their finals campaign.

It’s something McGregor’s impressed upon his squad through preseason, driving a mantra of selflessness.

“At different stages of the year everyone’s going to be involved in where we finish,” he said.

“For us to be successful it’s very important we understand that and have a squad that’s selfless in everything we do.

“You look back at our last game, Gareth wasn’t available, Paul Vaughan wasn’t available, we lost Tariq [Sims] during the contest.

To have success you’ve got to be committed, you’ve got to have a focus, you’ve got to have a desire but most of all you’ve got to have a deep squad. We’re fortunate to be in that position right now.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5851156/window-wide-open-for-2019-dragons/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Opportunity knocks for Dragons in 2019: McGregor PT 2

Paul McGregor
“It shows how important it is to be healthy and, if you aren’t, how important it is to have depth in that position.

“To have success you’ve got to be committed, you’ve got to have a focus, you’ve got have a desire but most of all you’ve got to have a deep squad. We’re fortunate to be in that position right now.”

OFF-FIELD DRAMA

In one of the most tumultuous off-season’s in recent memory the Dragons haven’t been immune to negative headlines.

Fans were reminded of Norman’s reputation as party-boy after an unflattering video resurfaced in social media on Monday.

It was not a good look but, as the matter was dealt with by the NRL Integrity Unit when the video first surfaced in 2016, Norman isn’t facing further sanction from the game or his new club.

In a far more serious matter, star lock de Belin will appear in court next month to face a sexual assault charge. McGregor is, and will remain, tight-lipped on the matter.

“Obviously there’s an allegation that’s been made, there’s a denial, and there’s a court process to play out,” he said.

“I’m not going to comment any further other than to say that while ever Jack’s in my care we’ll have support in place around his welfare.”

HIS OWN FUTURE

One thing’s certain as Dragons coach, there will always be speculation about your future. McGregor will be no different as he enters 2019 off-contract.

If the chaotic off-season for coaches is proof of anything it’s that contracts provide a financial safeguard rather than long-term job security.

It’s the type of headache that would admittedly have distracted McGregor in his rookie coaching days but it’s not the case in his fifth year as an NRL head coach.

“Contract negotiations are a long process, I’ve got a manager who’s in discussions with the club,” he said.

“I’m not too worried about it. I’m not an inexperienced coach anymore. I’m very comfortable and confident in myself, I know what leadership style I have, I’ve got a good belief and a good vision of what we need to do.

“I’m employed to do a job for 2019 and I’ll do it to the best of my ability. I’ve got the players there that I think are capable of doing well. I just want to get on with it.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5851156/window-wide-open-for-2019-dragons/?cs=302

BLM01

First Grade
Thanks 86 for posting that but the Illawarra Mercury could of cut and paste a lot of that from last years pre season hype. In regards to the best squad he has had and depth.
And of course the excuses. We had the most representative in Origin. No we didnt Mary. Melbourne had 6. (Munster, addo, Chambers, Slater, Christain, Glasby, Kaufusi) and still put 50 on us.
It is always surfece deep excuses. Cliches. Were almost there but. We got to be selfless. Cmon. How about the ask real questions about game plans, lack of change, fixing cracks when they appear not hope they will disappear, lack of accountability for performaces leaving someone underperforming in the squad in the hope they get back to early season form because they played well say in Round 3.
What they should of said in hindsight our premiership window was last year because of the dream run with injuries except for a few games at the end.
I reckon 10-12 teams at the beginning of a season can say the same about a premiership window at full strength

Old Timer

Coach
When we signed Hunt much was made of the “dream pairing” with Widdop.
We invested all of last year in building that relationship and at times it was unbeatable.
Norman comes to us as a “late” signing and the notion that he will / should replace Widdop at 6 is ludicrous.
NRL is a big business and every year a team has to take its best options to give itself its best best chance to succeed regardless of player movements that are an entire season away.
To think we would / should give up a 12 month investment in a halves pairing that is ““primed” !to deliver in favour of creating yet another new halves pairing (our perennial Achilles heel) is ridiculous in the 1st order.
Norman should start from the bench and be eased into the team rather than just being given the keys to the city as some suggest.
Injuries may play a part in how it unfolds but to think that everything should be changed immediately to accomodate 1 inconsistently brilliant player and dick around our best player (certainly in the backs) makes no sense to me so that probably means it is a lay down mizare.

getsmarty

Immortal
Thanks 86 for posting that but the Illawarra Mercury could of cut and paste a lot of that from last years pre season hype. In regards to the best squad he has had and depth.
And of course the excuses. We had the most representative in Origin. No we didnt Mary. Melbourne had 6. (Munster, addo, Chambers, Slater, Christain, Glasby, Kaufusi) and still put 50 on us.
It is always surfece deep excuses. Cliches. Were almost there but. We got to be selfless. Cmon. How about the ask real questions about game plans, lack of change, fixing cracks when they appear not hope they will disappear, lack of accountability for performaces leaving someone underperforming in the squad in the hope they get back to early season form because they played well say in Round 3.
What they should of said in hindsight our premiership window was last year because of the dream run with injuries except for a few games at the end.
I reckon 10-12 teams at the beginning of a season can say the same about a premiership window at full strength

The worrying part is the "My Future"....Sounds pretty confident...he must be close to extending his contract with us...Disappointing if the Board does this...We have an extremely strong squad and most teams have a limited window to have a crack at the title...for mine, the current coach is not they right guy for the job based on everything we have seen since mid 2014. Means we miss out again and the cycle continues as the next crop of players come through.

BLM01

First Grade
We invested all of last year in building that relationship and at times it was unbeatable.
Norman comes to us as a “late” signing and the notion that he will / should replace Widdop at 6 is ludicrous.
NRL is a big business and every year a team has to take its best options to give itself its best best chance to succeed regardless of player movements that are an entire season away.
To think we would / should give up a 12 month investment in a halves pairing that is ““primed” !to deliver in favour of creating yet another new halves pairing (our perennial Achilles heel) is ridiculous in the 1st order.
Norman should start from the bench and be eased into the team rather than just being given the keys to the city as some suggest.
Injuries may play a part in how it unfolds but to think that everything should be changed immediately to accomodate 1 inconsistently brilliant player and dick around our best player (certainly in the backs) makes no sense to me so that probably means it is a lay down mizare.
I agree and said that from Day 1 as he should work his way into our spine plays / systems etc. leaving Dufty at 1 if fires early on.
Others think it is a waste to have Norman coming off the bench.
Who does he come off the bench for?...assuming all players fit
Others want Robson now on the bench for McInnes.
I think trials and early rounds is the time to tinker with Norman starting on the bench with 3 forwards.
Just my take. Robson will have plenty of time in 1sts as we will have injuries in the backs and Norman wont be long to stay on the bench. Norman can cover 1,3,4,6 & 7 as can defend when he wants as a sort of a Mann replacement. Lomax can cover wing if need. I think that is the way Mary will go to start off with anyway.
And if he wants to give Mcinnes a break Hunt can jump there and Norman to halves.

BLM01

First Grade
The worrying part is the "My Future"....Sounds pretty confident...he must be close to extending his contract with us...Disappointing if the Board does this...We have an extremely strong squad and most teams have a limited window to have a crack at the title...for mine, the current coach is not they right guy for the job based on everything we have seen since mid 2014. Means we miss out again and the cycle continues as the next crop of players come through.
hmmm...he can be as confident as he likes. If the team starts below par..guess what...GOOONNEE!...well that is what I am hoping :)

possm

Coach

Sorry OT can't agree with this, Norman is a class act not an inexperienced player coming into first grade. Did Widdop start from the bench when recruited to the Dragons by Price and did Hunt start from the bench when recruited to the Dragons by Millward? No of course not.

The more relevant fact is that Widdop is moving on and Norman has been signed to take his place. All three players Hunt, Widdop and Norman are on marquee salary and so it would be a great waste of money to have any one of these three players to come off the bench - all 3 are 80min players.

Mary has identified some weakness in his roster and after off-season recruitment, he has declared he now has the side he wants. My take these are the changes that will be made to last seasons backline:

1. Dufty good running in broken play but still has some personal development to achieve before being a complete fist grade fullback. Mary tried to sign Hayne to address this problem and now has Widdop to do the same. I think everyone will surprised at the level of professionalism that Widdop will bring to the fullback position. His direction to our backline from the back will address some of the problems our backline players have had in the past.

2. Macdonald left for compassionate reasons and so a big fast winger is needed to replace him. Pearson seems to fit the bill.

3. Aitken was given heaps of latitude and still did not solve his short falls; defensive reads, setting up his winger and gathering kicks. He rarely passes the ball. Lomax is the natural replacement and demonstrated late last season that he is up to the job of right centre in first grade.

4. Lafai is an average left centre and has some errors in him. Most of these errors are associated with is tendency to provide a forced pass, mostly a flick pass, when in the process of being tackled. Sometimes he also appears to be a tad lazy and goes missing when the going gets tuff. We do not have a ready replacement for Lafai and so it will be up to the coaching staff to address issues with Lafai.

5. Pereira did a good job standing in for Nightingale at the back end of last season, but was not lightning quick. Again, Millward has recruited a big young speedy winger to address this problem and I am very much looking forward to seeing Ravalawa.

6. Norman has been recruited to replace Widdop at 6. It is my opinion that he will be selected at five-eighth in the run-on side. Of course if things go south, Mary can always make the switch with Widdop and play Norman at the back. However, it is my view that Norman will surprise everone with the positive difference he will bring to the halves combination.

7. With Norman at 6 running the team, Hunt will be released to do what he does best, run direct and put his team mates through the line with acruate, crisp passes and a judicial kicking game. The pressure will be off Hunt and even when it ocmes to kicks, he will be supported by Norman, Widdop and Lomax.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
I think Widdop should play in the halves as well but I think that he will play fullback. IMO McGregor wanted to do it last year but wasn't confident enough in Field/Mann/Nicholls to do it. Now he's got Norman and seeing as though he will play in the halves after Widdop leaves anyway I can see him trying it.

It doesn't look like Dufty is getting any assurances in any case

DragonJ

Juniors
Widdop might do his shoulder again anyway but that doesn’t help us with the $$
I don't want him to get injured. I want the money he is on spent elsewhere because he is superfluous to our needs and gone at the end of the year regardless of what happens.

Sorry OT can't agree with this, Norman is a class act not an inexperienced player coming into first grade. Did Widdop start from the bench when recruited to the Dragons by Price and did Hunt start from the bench when recruited to the Dragons by Millward? No of course not.

The more relevant fact is that Widdop is moving on and Norman has been signed to take his place. All three players Hunt, Widdop and Norman are on marquee salary and so it would be a great waste of money to have any one of these three players to come off the bench - all 3 are 80min players.

Mary has identified some weakness in his roster and after off-season recruitment, he has declared he now has the side he wants. My take these are the changes that will be made to last seasons backline:

1. Dufty good running in broken play but still has some personal development to achieve before being a complete fist grade fullback. Mary tried to sign Hayne to address this problem and now has Widdop to do the same. I think everyone will surprised at the level of professionalism that Widdop will bring to the fullback position. His direction to our backline from the back will address some of the problems our backline players have had in the past.

2. Macdonald left for compassionate reasons and so a big fast winger is needed to replace him. Pearson seems to fit the bill.

3. Aitken was given heaps of latitude and still did not solve his short falls; defensive reads, setting up his winger and gathering kicks. He rarely passes the ball. Lomax is the natural replacement and demonstrated late last season that he is up to the job of right centre in first grade.

4. Lafai is an average left centre and has some errors in him. Most of these errors are associated with is tendency to provide a forced pass, mostly a flick pass, when in the process of being tackled. Sometimes he also appears to be a tad lazy and goes missing when the going gets tuff. We do not have a ready replacement for Lafai and so it will be up to the coaching staff to address issues with Lafai.

5. Pereira did a good job standing in for Nightingale at the back end of last season, but was not lightning quick. Again, Millward has recruited a big young speedy winger to address this problem and I am very much looking forward to seeing Ravalawa.

6. Norman has been recruited to replace Widdop at 6. It is my opinion that he will be selected at five-eighth in the run-on side. Of course if things go south, Mary can always make the switch with Widdop and play Norman at the back. However, it is my view that Norman will surprise everone with the positive difference he will bring to the halves combination.

7. With Norman at 6 running the team, Hunt will be released to do what he does best, run direct and put his team mates through the line with acruate, crisp passes and a judicial kicking game. The pressure will be off Hunt and even when it ocmes to kicks, he will be supported by Norman, Widdop and Lomax.

possm, you know I'm a big fan but with this latest effort, it seems to me you grasped the reality of the situation and then let it go.

We do have 3 marquee halves and more specifically, 2 marquee 5/8s. So FFS, get rid of the one who isn't going to be around long-term and spend the money in areas we are lacking. No matter what you think of the ability of the two.

1. The guy is 29 years old who won't be around after this year! What aspect of his game makes you think he will excel at fullback? And I mean "excel", not just be better than Dufty because given the salary cap, this has the potential to put the team back by 2 or 3 years. By which time Frizz, Simms and JDB will be past their best.

Apart from Widdop at fullback rather than in the ESL or the ISP until he leaves without a payout (maybe I'm dreaming now. Leaves with only a minimal payout), I agree with the rest.

With #4, I would have vehemently agreed with you anytime since the time he was signed but due to his ball-playing, offloading ability and with a big, fast winger outside him, partnered by a 19 year-old, I'm a little more optimistic.

rasaint

Juniors
I’m sick of all the apologists for Dufty. We need someone else at fullback with
1st grade ability.

To be fair, Dufty may have scored lots of trys, even from long range and sometimes beating 4 or 5 opposition players with acceleration and stepping; and yes as a Dragons fan it is exhilarating to watch but any 1st grade fullback can do that. You see them do it every week.

Remember Dufty missed Remis Smith in the dogs game and nearly missed a number of his last ditch tackles in defence. Yep we are crying out for a genuine first grade fullback.

Get Dugan on the phone Millward and make it happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Agree.
However, I think Norman will play fullback and the only reason for this was the initial courting of Hayne. In retrospect, it appears that Dufty needs to re-ignite his career as a fullback from reserve grade, get the confidence to attack the footy, run holes and defend one-on-one, in a much more, let's say, relaxed atmosphere. Yet, with McGregor, he could be a starter on the bench and used as an impact type player.
I still have doubts over Widdop's shoulder. Yes, some may say it's fine and all good, but I've had a few of these, and it's never the same. So, I don't see Dufty being in ISP for too long imo.

Anyway, the biggest ? lies with our coach and what he perceives as "his" dream team. The only thing that I would protest vehemently would be the placing of square pegs in round holes, just to play players. That in itself is a recipe for disaster.

Old Timer

Coach
The Norman purchase is a bit of a conundrum as it looks like an insurance policy to cover 2020.
Millward probably took the option of a year early in case Field & Co don’t make it.
So rather than have no one to partner Hunt he has the next partner already in the roster.
I for the life of me don’t get the idea that because Widdop is going at the end of the year that we should all of a sudden move him to a non preferred position or release him.
Many clubs have players on their books that have 1 year to go in a contract (in real terms the situation with Widdop) or are advised mid year that they want a release at season’s end and you don’t see those players moved from their natural position.
Smart teams and smart coaches milk everything and everyone until there is nothing left to give.
Everything should be dealt with year by year and within that year on a game by game basis.
Casting our best no 6 out just to get ready for 2020 is the dumbest thing I’ve heard and surely Norman has to earn the respect of the playing group rather than just turning up and being given carte blanche.

possm

Coach
The Norman purchase is a bit of a conundrum as it looks like an insurance policy to cover 2020.
Millward probably took the option of a year early in case Field & Co don’t make it.
So rather than have no one to partner Hunt he has the next partner already in the roster.
I for the life of me don’t get the idea that because Widdop is going at the end of the year that we should all of a sudden move him to a non preferred position or release him.
Many clubs have players on their books that have 1 year to go in a contract (in real terms the situation with Widdop) or are advised mid year that they want a release at season’s end and you don’t see those players moved from their natural position.
Smart teams and smart coaches milk everything and everyone until there is nothing left to give.
Everything should be dealt with year by year and within that year on a game by game basis.
Casting our best no 6 out just to get ready for 2020 is the dumbest thing I’ve heard and surely Norman has to earn the respect of the playing group rather than just turning up and being given carte blanche.

Ok, let's just assume for a minute that the matter has already been discussed between Mary, Widdop and Norman because that is what I imagine has happened.

Also what if Mary has already decided that Dufty is not what he wants at fullback right now.

With the above being the case, it all makes a lot of sense to have;
1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson

For me the above spine and hooker rotation is far superior to what we had last season.

Old Timer

Coach
Ok, let's just assume for a minute that the matter has already been discussed between Mary, Widdop and Norman because that is what I imagine has happened.

Also what if Mary has already decided that Dufty is not what he wants at fullback right now.

With the above being the case, it all makes a lot of sense to have;
1. Widdop
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14. Robson

For me the above spine and hooker rotation is far superior to what we had last season.
What if the conversation actually went like this
Corey you were out on your arse at the Eels and pretty much unwanted so we have decided to give you a lifeline.
Widdop is going at the end of the year so if you play your cards right and behave yourself you get the 6 jersey full time next year.
In the meantime we are going to run with what we had last year as in fact up until SOO and us suffering some injuries the squad we had led the comp and to be honest we were a tad unlucky not to go further.
So you will play the role Mann did off the bench and if anyone is out of form or gets injured you will come straight into the run on side.
Keep your nose clean (pretty apt eh) and don’t f**k up and you just might win a premiership and have a permanent home.
Knowing Mc Fookknuckle this possible conversation would make more sense to me than what you proposed.