What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

possm

Coach
What if the conversation actually went like this
Corey you were out on your arse at the Eels and pretty much unwanted so we have decided to give you a lifeline.
Widdop is going at the end of the year so if you play your cards right and behave yourself you get the 6 jersey full time next year.
In the meantime we are going to run with what we had last year as in fact up until SOO and us suffering some injuries the squad we had led the comp and to be honest we were a tad unlucky not to go further.
So you will play the role Mann did off the bench and if anyone is out of form or gets injured you will come straight into the run on side.
Keep your nose clean (pretty apt eh) and don’t f**k up and you just might win a premiership and have a permanent home.
Knowing Mc Fookknuckle this possible conversation would make more sense to me than what you proposed.
Well OT, if the conversation went as you say above, then all that I can say is that SGI is in a MESS.

RufusRex

Post Whore
well Mary does have a long history of using a photo copier for selections rather than actually picked the best team so it may have happened like that.

Otherwise Norman would have said f**k off i will play 1st grade at parra and get a deal somewhere else next year.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Widdop at fullback is an almost 1mil a year experiment. I know he played well against Fiji and PNG (or was it Tonga?) at fullback and was rubbish against Australia. Which actually corresponds to how he has generally played for us over the last 5 years. The epitome of a flat track bully.

And the kicker is that even if this very expensive experiment works out, he is gone at years end. Any team not managed by pea-brained morons would have sent Widdop on his way by now.
Your kidding obviously... ..

Wittenberg

Juniors
I’m equally nervous about them all. There is more unknowns than I can remember in a long time. The wingers don’t have a lot of experience, but at least we can be hopeful they’ll perform. Provided they get the necessary go forward off our line my guess is they’ll be good for us.

The centres although having more experience are still a problem due to a number of deficiencies. For me the centres are the ones that need to show more. Aitken simply can’t be a ball hog as it has a knock on effect. And sure he may get spoken about re Origin and NSW, who themselves have had success with powerful strong running backs but overall in a NRL season we need skill and awareness more so than power outwide. There is a spin this season with Lomax in the picture. Lomax appears to be that skilful natural centre we so desperately need, however who knows what role he will play. And to be honest he still has many tests to pass. (Unlike Aitken who really needs to learn to pass)

And than we come to Dufty. He’s been good and bad, which we’ve all analysed to death. What changes this season? Can he bring the good and bad closer together?
Aitken needs to learn to tackle as well as to pass the ball. He might be named as an Emerging Blue player but other teams know he cannot make defensive reads. A year or two ago he was our future but he creates too many tries for our opponents.

DragonJ

Juniors
Your kidding obviously... ..
Hi Overseas dragon. Of course I'm kidding. Well all know Widdop is lightening fast, has excellent footwork, is a powerful, tackle breaking ball runner and is rock solid in defence. And he played a lot at fullback over the past several years. Considering he will be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition this season, it's only reasonable we would expect that of him.

It remains to be seen how well he will take bombs and chime into the backline. I thought chiming into the backline along with his ability to beat a staggered defensive line were the only adequate areas of Dufty's game last season.

On the flip side, if he plays 5/8, no matter what you think of how he has played, and I think piss-poor more often than not, no questioning the tremendous success he has brought the team ever since he was signed. I know we have missed out on a premiership but Widdop has always has us thereabouts and never went missing in big games against tough opposition.

In future, no need to even rhetorically ask whether I'm kidding or not because it should be obvious.

Old Timer

Coach
Hi Overseas dragon. Of course I'm kidding. Well all know Widdop is lightening fast, has excellent footwork, is a powerful, tackle breaking ball runner and is rock solid in defence. And he played a lot at fullback over the past several years. Considering he will be one of if not the highest paid fullback in the competition this season, it's only reasonable we would expect that of him.

It remains to be seen how well he will take bombs and chime into the backline. I thought chiming into the backline along with his ability to beat a staggered defensive line were the only adequate areas of Dufty's game last season.

On the flip side, if he plays 5/8, no matter what you think of how he has played, and I think piss-poor more often than not, no questioning the tremendous success he has brought the team ever since he was signed. I know we have missed out on a premiership but Widdop has always has us thereabouts and never went missing in big games against tough opposition.

In future, no need to even rhetorically ask whether I'm kidding or not because it should be obvious.
Same rant different sign in.
Do us a favour and dig up one of the numerous Widdop threads that have been created and stay in there and play with your pre school buddies.
However don't be like your predecessors though and throw the toys out of the cot when you don't catch a fish.

DragonJ

Juniors
Same rant different sign in.
Do us a favour and dig up one of the numerous Widdop threads that have been created and stay in there and play with your pre school buddies.
However don't be like your predecessors though and throw the toys out of the cot when you don't catch a fish.
Talking of 'rants'. I'm pretty new here. Not privy to all the inside jokes and innuendo which I know exist. But whatever. I'm just delighted by the fact our team managers are so smart they have recruited two marquee 5/8s when all the available evidence points to one of them being a piss-poor fullback.

Other than that, can I ask to refrain from personal attacks on me? I only dislike one poster. I dislike plenty of opinions but this is an internet forum.

Gardenia

Juniors
I don't want him to get injured. I want the money he is on spent elsewhere because he is superfluous to our needs and gone at the end of the year regardless of what happens.

I

Last thing I want is for Widdop to be injured. Just stating practical reality after someone’s shoulder has been weakened. I pray it doesn’t occur as with him in the mix along with the others I believe we have a chance at the premiership. Look at the difference when he was playing in the first final then when he wasn’t in the second. And I don’t want anyone to be hurt especially our captain.

Gardenia

Juniors
I’m sick of all the apologists for Dufty. We need someone else at fullback with
1st grade ability.

To be fair, Dufty may have scored lots of trys, even from long range and sometimes beating 4 or 5 opposition players with acceleration and stepping; and yes as a Dragons fan it is exhilarating to watch but any 1st grade fullback can do that. You see them do it every week.

Remember Dufty missed Remis Smith in the dogs game and nearly missed a number of his last ditch tackles in defence. Yep we are crying out for a genuine first grade fullback.

Get Dugan on the phone Millward and make it happen.
I believe they were chasing Hayne to fix this and it’s just a shame he allegedly couldn’t behave himself as IMO he would have been better then Norman - for 2019. As we have Widdop already this year on big money to play 5/8.

possm

Coach
I believe they were chasing Hayne to fix this and it’s just a shame he allegedly couldn’t behave himself as IMO he would have been better then Norman - for 2019. As we have Widdop already this year on big money to play 5/8.

You know the decisions made by pathways and recruitment and the state of our salary cap could be made a lot clearer to fans and the press if they were made public. Just imagine the uproar when Tedesco signed with the Roosters for 700k plus 500 TPA, when other clubs were offering over $1m in salary. Only then will questions be formally asked over dodgy TPA subsidies. In my view the TPA system undermines the exact purpose the salary cap was introduced to achieve.

Last edited:

DragonJ

Juniors
I guess if one bloke represented his country at fullback then we might be ok
Yep. As I said, played well against PnG and Fiji, rubbish against Australia. But you know what? How is this for an idea? Sign up Tui Lolahea if there is a god who forces our intellectually geniused team managers to get rid of Widdop now. After all, he played fullback for his country.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Yep. As I said, played well against PnG and Fiji, rubbish against Australia. But you know what? How is this for an idea? Sign up Tui Lolahea if there is a god who forces our intellectually geniused team managers to get rid of Widdop now. After all, he played fullback for his country.
Sounds like your an expert on the subject maybe you should be a team manager.. .. .

DragonJ

Juniors
Sounds like your an expert on the subject maybe you should be a team manager.. .. .
Yep. Not saying I would be a good coach but no way would I have 2 highly paid 5/8s on the books both of whom will be a crappy fullback. It feels like Souffs and the Rorters conspired to play a sick joke upon us.

Last edited:

DragonJ

Juniors
Last thing I want is for Widdop to be injured. Just stating practical reality after someone’s shoulder has been weakened. I pray it doesn’t occur as with him in the mix along with the others I believe we have a chance at the premiership. Look at the difference when he was playing in the first final then when he wasn’t in the second. And I don’t want anyone to be hurt especially our captain.
Surely not even McGregor would keep him as captain this season.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
My view of the best side should be

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Widdop
5. Ravalawa,

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Vaughn (VC)
9. Mc Inness
10. Graham
11. Frizzel (C)
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Robson
15. K.Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Leilua

Pearson and Ravalawa need to be prepared for getting back on kicks and running hard and getting up quick to start our sets.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Talking of 'rants'. I'm pretty new here. Not privy to all the inside jokes and innuendo which I know exist. But whatever. I'm just delighted by the fact our team managers are so smart they have recruited two marquee 5/8s when all the available evidence points to one of them being a piss-poor fullback.

Other than that, can I ask to refrain from personal attacks on me? I only dislike one poster. I dislike plenty of opinions but this is an internet forum.
:joy::joy::joy:

Dragon Blood

Juniors
My view of the best side should be

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Widdop
5. Ravalawa,

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Vaughn (VC)
9. Mc Inness
10. Graham
11. Frizzel (C)
12. T.Sims
13. De Belin

14. Robson
15. K.Sims
16. Lawrie
17. Leilua

Pearson and Ravalawa need to be prepared for getting back on kicks and running hard and getting up quick to start our sets.
I think

Latest posts